Spinned out- Mtbr.com

Thread: Spinned out

mtbr member

Spinned out

The other day I got invited to try a spin class. Hmmmm I have heard a lot about it and figured why not give it a try. Poacher signed us up and I soon find myself signing my life away on a release form.
    What was I expecting??? I really try to be open minded about new things and I am generally willing to give it a try. Donkey tried it a few weeks ago and basically called it something like "Death in an Hour."
    For those that have never tried it, here is the low down...approximately 20 or so stationary bikes with look pedals. You can adjust the tension on the wheel and the bars have extensions on them. You spin your arse off to music.
    The instructor comes in and says something like "Hi ladies." The best part so far is the fabulous looking woman in the class. Poacher is just as happy about the instructor. The techo music turns on and we start pedalling. It is very important to follow the instructors pedal strokes. He follows the beat of the music with the top end of the pedal stroke on a particular leg. Everyone follows suit. For the next hour we spin to loud thumping base, techo lights and a disco ball...I do everything I can to keep up. These beautiful women are working it and putting me to shame. As your legs follow one beat, your upper body (well their upper bodies) danced to another beat. I felt like a junior high kid at SoulTrain. I had no business being there. I must have lost 5 pounds in sweat alone. I had to ring out my t-shirt and shorts.
    All in all a good experience. A GREAT cardio workout, but my quads are killing me today.
    If you ever decide to try a class, start in the beginner class and start in the back of the class.

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought I was in shape the first time I went. After 45 min, I almost threw up. The ego would not let me slow down or stop. But my friend had to stop and go to the bathroom. Depending on the instructor, can be very intense.

Kinda puts your road training to test...

34N 118W

bailed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    If you ever decide to try a class, start in the beginner class and start in the back of the class.

andy
    nice story bro! Now it's safe for the rest of us to come out...

I tried one in Dallas at the gym I belonged to. I showed up in lycra and Sidis. I clipped in to the pedals, the instructor noticed and asked "Do you ride?".

I shot back a cocky "yeah."

fast forward to me freakin' dying and trying to figure out how to get the F outta the class early. I felt a tinge of exercise-induced ashtma coming on (really) and that was all it took. But doing the Walk of Shame to the door while the women happily spun on sucked.

It's an ass-kicker for sure.

HW

No relation
    The other day I got invited to try a spin class. All in all a good experience. A GREAT cardio workout, but my quads are killing me today.

andy
    I have never thrown up in spin class, but I've come tantalisingly close. To the point where I think "Cool, I'm going to throw up..."
    Also, spin class is the only place I wear a heart rate monitor any more, and I have hit my max HR in spin class more often than in actual races.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

mtbr member

I tried one a few years ago

At 24 hour fitness. They didn't have Time pedals on the bikes, just straps. I walked in there all cocky and got my arse kicked a that hot chick facilitating that torcher chamber. I did finish without yacking. I went back to the class a little later realizing I could control the effort I put into it by backing off my ego and the tensioner...but what fun is there in that? Great story Andy. How you been?

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

mtbr member

Spinning class

My riding buddy decided that we should give spinning at try a few years back. He calls and sets us up for the class on Saturday morning. The class was advanced, but we thought, "Hey, were REAL riders, not some pansy indoor pretend cyclists". The class was called "T2, The Brick". Basically this class is designed as a full on strength builder. We started out not in the spin room, but out on the road running a 2 mile warm up, then proceeded to run hill sprints until near puke. Then the real fun begins, 1 hour of heavy strength cycling, which translates to tons of standing and getting yelled at to turn that knob up! Some how we both finished without puking, but the desire to leave was strong. Luckily for me the view to the front was nice so it kept me motivated to stick the ride out. At the end of the class the instructor asked for applause for the both of us for acutally doing the work out and finishing! That part was pretty cool. We had confided in her at the beginning that neither of us had run in years. The next 3 days following the "Brick" consisted of barely walking, using both handrails on steps and lifting legs up one by one to get down the steps! We both were majorly hurt.

I still spin sometimes during the winter.

MC

The other day I got invited to try a spin class. Hmmmm I have heard a lot about it and figured why not give it a try. Poacher signed us up and I soon find myself signing my life away on a release form.
    What was I expecting??? I really try to be open minded about new things and I am generally willing to give it a try. Donkey tried it a few weeks ago and basically called it something like "Death in an Hour."
    For those that have never tried it, here is the low down...approximately 20 or so stationary bikes with look pedals. You can adjust the tension on the wheel and the bars have extensions on them. You spin your arse off to music.
    The instructor comes in and says something like "Hi ladies." The best part so far is the fabulous looking woman in the class. Poacher is just as happy about the instructor. The techo music turns on and we start pedalling. It is very important to follow the instructors pedal strokes. He follows the beat of the music with the top end of the pedal stroke on a particular leg. Everyone follows suit. For the next hour we spin to loud thumping base, techo lights and a disco ball...I do everything I can to keep up. These beautiful women are working it and putting me to shame. As your legs follow one beat, your upper body (well their upper bodies) danced to another beat. I felt like a junior high kid at SoulTrain. I had no business being there. I must have lost 5 pounds in sweat alone. I had to ring out my t-shirt and shorts.
    All in all a good experience. A GREAT cardio workout, but my quads are killing me today.

andy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My riding buddy has been a Spin instructor for about 5 years now. I'll usually do the classes during the winter when it's too crappy to ride. Ya'll hit it right on the head though. Brutal workout with good scenery . It'll really help your "spin" on the bike also. The hardest part of the whole thing for me is walking by the muscleheads while I'm in lycra and riding shoes..click, click, click, click....maybe if I wasn't so spindly. I'll just tell them I'm lean, yeah, that's the ticket.

cut like the fog.

Teacher here.

I used to teach those classes at the local gyms here in town. Awesome workout but the techno music made me want to go postal.

I used Zepplin, Tragically Hip etc. for the music and tailored the rides to simulate some of the trails I've ridden. In fact I used San Juan trail as inspiration for one of my suffer-fests.

cool story Andy, come up to the Canmore Gathering this year or else.

b.

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    made me want to go postal.

Um, brad....I'd start road racing first dude.

just along for the ride
    Never did a spin but an old friend that got in shape doing 1 hour spins I almost killed on his first real mtn bike ride.Spin class he was doing 600 cals/hour at 130 beats ave, I got him to 190+ and 150+ ave less than 30 minutes in then toasted him at close to 2000 cal for a 14 mile 100 minute ride. He quit spin dropped close to 3 grand on a nice bike and stuff now he's down to 1600 cals for the same burn in 2 months. Tail arse is replaced with adreneline overload and a short trip back to the meat rack to work upper bodies after the grinds!

Members who have read this thread: 0