Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

To spin or not to spin?

I was riding the other day and geared guy came up and passed me, after 8 Min.s of a fight. I told myself he lost me on the flats in his big gear. No problem..
    Two days later, i was ridding my geared bike and catching a SS. I did catch him, but it wasn't on the flats He had 32/16 on a 29er. I have 36/16 on a 26. . My question. I'm more of a "stand up and pedal damn it" type, and was happy. Now i'm wondering if i should put on a smaller ring up front and learn to spin. I'm fast enough, especially on uphills, but apparently slow on flats in my current set up. Any advice? other than ride faster. Thanks

mtbr member
    Honestly? Ride what works for you and makes you happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thought I was a spinner. But SS has forced me to lower my cadence. I always though I was more of a 2 stroke. 'ya know, on or off, high RPM. But my style is changing, and I'm becoming more of a diesel. (yeah yeah, some diesels are 2 stroke) . The trick with SS I'm finding, especially on long sustained climbs, is heart rate maintenance. When I'm spinning, my HR goes nuts on me. The lower cadence (mashing, if you will) keeps my heart rate lower.

Here's another trick I picked up. Use EVERY chance you get to recover. This means flats, downhills, etc. Let your HR come back down during these brief intervals. I mean, ride slower than you think you should, breath deep, and really concentrate on bringing it back down. It's gonna be pegged often and long enough when climbing. I'm fit, but I can only "dig deep" a finite number of times until I blow.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    I was riding the other day and geared guy came up and passed me, after 8 Min.s of a fight. I told myself he lost me on the flats in his big gear. No problem..
    Two days later, i was ridding my geared bike and catching a SS. I did catch him, but it wasn't on the flats He had 32/16 on a 29er. I have 36/16 on a 26. . My question. I'm more of a "stand up and pedal damn it" type, and was happy. Now i'm wondering if i should put on a smaller ring up front and learn to spin. I'm fast enough, especially on uphills, but apparently slow on flats in my current set up. Any advice? other than ride faster. Thanks
    Sounds like you want gears.

I can do 18mph with 34x20x26". Maybe what you need to work on is your burst speed for the flats.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Sounds like you want gears.

I can do 18mph with 34x20x26". Maybe what you need to work on is your burst speed for the flats.
    I think I'm gonna have to agree with umarth. Don't judge me too harshly.

I ride 34x19x26", and I ride through the local county park as a warm-up. It's 2 miles out and back, uphill to the end, downhill on the way out. One of the drills that I do (in the park, as well as in the streets on the way to the trailhead) is working on my cadence. I'll try to keep spinning to keep up with the rear wheel, almost as if I was riding a fixed drivetrain. it can get pretty gnarly on the downhill sections, but it helps a lot.

I average 17-18 MPH on the way to the trailhead, as well as on the way back. I'm not entirely sure about the RPMs that requires, but it does help with spinning on the road bike; I've noticed that I can spin higher gears more effectively on the road bike since going SS. Or it may be the other way around. All I know is that I've gotten faster and stronger and better.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I'll try to keep spinning to keep up with the rear wheel, almost as if I was riding a fixed drivetrain.
    What I like to do.

The need for singlespeed
    I'm confused--you're slow on the flats, and considering a smaller ring as a remedy? I mean, most people who spin out on flats go to a taller ratio.

Why are you slow on the flats--spinning out? No Watts left after pushing that huge gear all day?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You're taking all the fun out of SS.

Comparing gear ratios and using words like "watts" and "cadence".

Next question will be "what's the best leg shave cream for single speeds".

Dorks!

mtbr member
    What IS the best leg shave cream for single speeding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    What IS the best leg shave cream for single speeding?
    I like to use this stuff when shaving for SS. It says fast on the bottle and has some nice grit in it to make me feel like I've been riding in the mud.

Oh, and you've gotta shave with a man knife, no shick hydro nonsense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    I like to use this stuff when shaving for SS. It says fast on the bottle and has some nice grit in it to make me feel like I've been riding in the mud.

That must be what I have been doing wrong. And here I have been sitting pulling them out one at a time with tweezers....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

man knife

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcazes View Post

man knife
    But mine has wolves on it! Howl at the moon!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    but mine is over a foot long and makes you flex while you hold it. just straight up man no matter how you look at it. yours is like the 21yr old howling at the moon. mine is that big sob you don't wanna fk with who just stands there quietly waiting.

Fat & Single
    Here a real singlespeeders shaver
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    lmao good and rusty. puts some hair on ya chest! which you will shave off as well

mtbr member
    Bringing this back on topic, the fastest SS guy I know runs a 32x21 on a rigid 29er. He can spin a ridiculous cadence on the flat and then still has the juice for the steep ups. He regularly beats all comers geared or SS in the local races.

Its all about the motor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's not a knife...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01NHcTM5IA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can spin 200ish RPM. I feel beat when I do. Not the best unless you're going for the finish. Then your biggest obstacle is holding back the vomit. Ride the biggest gear you can and still climb and clear everything your local trails have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I average 17-18 MPH on the way to the trailhead, as well as on the way back.
    ****! I'm happy to average that on my road bike. I'm gonna go drink now.

Let's ride
    It is super impressive to hear people say they can do 17mph on ~32x18x26 or 32x20x29 for any prolonged distance.

For that gearing, I know I comfortably cruise at 14mph, and can only muster 17-18 for 1/2-1 mile on flat roads. I can max to 26-28mph for 5-10 seconds with a violent effort.

For spinning, if you guys ever get a chance to do GoldSprints, do it! Longest seconds of my life.

Sample I found on utoobs

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzejC_DQoe0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzejC_DQoe0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigNslow View Post
    ****! I'm happy to average that on my road bike. I'm gonna go drink now.
    With the warm-up through the park, it's only four miles or so. Two miles +maybe a bit more on the way back, but I've started doing a longer ride so I end up at the top of a mountain. From there, it's almost no pedaling back to my house. I ride the same street past the trailhead on my road bike. I think I average 20-21 MPH in that section. Once I start hitting the climbs, it goes down. I'll be lucky to finish a 45 mile road ride with a 16 MPH average.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    That's not a knife...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01NHcTM5IA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can spin 200ish RPM. I feel beat when I do. Not the best unless you're going for the finish. Then your biggest obstacle is holding back the vomit. Ride the biggest gear you can and still climb and clear everything your local trails have.
    YES! +rep!

Thanks for the input. I'll keep my gears, get a computer and keep track of what i'm doing. I'm just amazed at how fast some can spin. p.s. i use a straight razor.

Adventure Mapper
    Yeah, I am new to this hyper-spinning on flats thing. Been a gearie forever, this is my first week on the 32x20x29 and I am spinning out around 15-16 mph. I notice that if I lower my seatpost just a few mm than what I rode previously (on gearies), spinning @ high rpms seems easier. Anyone else have seatpost height tips for this?
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Yeah, I am new to this hyper-spinning on flats thing. Been a gearie forever, this is my first week on the 32x20x29 and I am spinning out around 15-16 mph. I notice that if I lower my seatpost just a few mm than what I rode previously (on gearies), spinning @ high rpms seems easier. Anyone else have seatpost height tips for this?
    Tighten up your core (abs), which involves putting more weight on the bars. And then just spin away, focusing on the whole circle of the cranks. I'd long been a masher before going SS, but doing what I just mentioned really helps the revs go up and up and up and keep getting higher, at least for short sprints.

I have my saddle at full extension, so that the knee is nearly straight when the pedals are furthest from the saddle. This actually isn't the 6 o'clock position for me, but closer to 5 o'clock or so. It depends on your frame.

At my last ride, I passed by my uncle's house on the way to the trailhead, and he was just pulling out of his driveway. It's a slight downhill from there for a bit, and I have no problem keeping up with cars on my road bike on that section, but my mtb is geared too low to do anything but chill at 20 MPH or so. But I still haven't beat my uncle's PR up the mountain, so I decided to show off and try to keep up with him (25-30 MPH). I did it, spinning like a hamster on crack.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Different gears for different steers. I ride with a pretty low gearing and keep up just fine with my ss friends with a higher ratio. However, if you go too low, there is a point where you are wasting too much energy spinning and it becomes counter productive. I just upped my gearing a bit and found it was more efifcient and I was less wasted at the end of the ride than before. Also need to consider the course. If it is a lot of tight twisty stuff, no point in killing yourself in a high gear if you cant max out your speed. Buy a bunch of cheap a$$ cogs and experiment. Find what works best.

I like turtles
    I can spin fast on my 32x20 29er. I recently dropped to a 32x18 and didn't see a huge improvement on the flats, just more work on the climbs. I am going to stick with it for a few weeks and if I don't like after that, I am going back to my 20t (or maybe a 19t?). I don't care too much about the "to the trailhead" part of the ride, just the singletrack. Its rolling here and most of the time you are either climbing or coasting which I why I think I didn't notice that much of a difference. I actually sit most of the time on the climbs unless they are really steep.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Semantics question:

What is the consensus on "drop/upped" gearing? "Drop" could mean either cog with lower number of teeth or easier gearing. Likewise "upped" could mean increase in difficulty or increase in teeth on cog.

I like turtles

However you want to say it..

When speaking of the rear cog, I usually assume that people understand the inverse relationship between physical size of the rear cog and gear inches. "Upping" to me means physically bigger and "dropping" means phsyically smaller. I make this assumption for the front as well; big ring means..well..the biggest ring which also happens give you the most gear inches and vice-versa. I just like to be consistent To each their own.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Adventure Mapper
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    When speaking of the rear cog, I usually assume that people understand the inverse relationship between physical size of the rear cog and gear inches. "Upping" to me means physically bigger and "dropping" means phsyically smaller. I make this assumption for the front as well; big ring means..well..the biggest ring which also happens give you the most gear inches and vice-versa. I just like to be consistent To each their own.
    I tend to agree TiGeo. I like to remember the drop vs up gearing lingo by recalling the socal endurance racing slogan, "Drop a Gear and Disappear!" I like my singlespeed version of that same concept:

"Drop All Your Gears and Disappear!"
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

Ok. should i learn to have a high cadence or stand up and pedal harder?

mtbr member
    High cadence is more fun to me. But really just riding my bike without thinking about it is more fun. Any gear ridden fast enough produces "high cadence".

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post

DOOOD!! The Three Wolf Moon Knife... just what I needed to go with my T-Shirt!

Beer is my spirit animal

Spin

If you are really interested in working on your cadence, heart-rate, recovery, etc. take a spin class if you can find one near you. I've been cycling for years, but a couple months ago started working in a bike shop that also includes a spin studio, so one of the perks is that I can spin for free if time allows, and I'm amazed at how quickly I have seen improvements in my "real-life" bike rides. In just two months my recovery time on trail rides has been halved, and I've increased my average cadence enormously. Spinning might not contain the same fun/challenges as a trail ride, but it's an excellent source of cross-training, especially for riding a SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am really impressed with you guys. I am on 32x16x26" and have to spin around 100cad just to get past 15mph, I can do higher cadence but can't sustain for long period. Worse still on the trails, cadence average around 70-90 on the flats. Seem like I need to train harder!

As it turns out the guy that dusted me on my SS is a serious racer. he placed 2nd in expert class last year at a Cranky Monkey race. I feel better, and will continue to ride SS without thinking. Enjoy.

Bro Mountainbiker
    That the spirit. Now go beat him next year.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    People are going to pass you, that's just the way it is. Don't sweat it, ride how you wanna ride.

I was climbing a pretty steep drawn out climb to a place called Weisserstein (in Germany). It's a climb that starts at roughly sea level and ends at about 650 meters, drawn out over 9-12 km depending on the route you take. I was on amoderately steep portion that is a semi-paved bike path, and was actually kind of patting myself on the back for doing a pretty good pace. I hear this creak... creak... creak... I look to my right and this 60 or 70 something german dude on a beater twonie bike that had to be nearly as old as he was, smiles at me as he passes by in his 'going to the bakery clothes' while puffing on a cigarette and effortlessly passing me with an earnest "Guten-Tag!" I actually felt pieces of my soul shrivelling... I still had fun riding that day, so what the hell....

mtbr member
    If the flats is the weakest part of your ride, another thing to consider is to "tire down".

While I'm just a single speed lurker who loves his 1 x 9, I do know the single biggest factor for speed in smooth conditions is tires. IF you can sacrifice some comfort and traction and move down a notch in tires, you will roll faster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you are curious on the RPM's needed, Sheldon's site has 'em via the gear units drop down menu. Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Example: 34*20 with 175 cranks w/26" @120 RPM's = 15.8 MPH

(Note: I didn't use the C word and only shave my legs on trips to Thailand)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Single Speed = KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Stop worrying about watts and cadence. Its all about maintaining momentum. I can ride a 32x20 all day long (theoretically) but can push a 32x17 much faster but wear down quicker. Are you racing or just riding?
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    http://tricountymtb.org/
    Niner EMD 1x10 ~ Niner SIR9 SS ~ Cannondale Scalpel Si

mtbr member

a different approach

I decided my gearing a little different way. I located the steepest hill in the 18,000 acres where I do 99% of my riding, and I geared my bike so I can just barely climb it virtually doing a trackstand while hauling up on my 800mm wide bars with each pedal stroke clutching my chest at the top hoping not to have an aneurism.

Then on the flats i just spin at my maximum comfortable rate which equates to about 13mph.

It makes it easy then to measure fitness progress. When I start flying up all of the hills, I will move a tooth up.

Still waiting to move a tooth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Nah...

Ovaries on the Outside
    To get rid of leg hair I use a lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    To get rid of leg hair I use a lighter.
    I've found the best way to remove unwanted body hair is to use a mixure of fresh aloe with dried/crushed cayenne pepper mixed in. Most of the time the aloe cools, but every now and then you get that burning sensation with the red bumpy dots...that's what you're really lookin for.

Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    i don't understand your reasoning. you have a 36/16 and your fast on the uphills and slow on the flats? are you riding in florida? 36/16 is a big gear to push and you should be able to go high-teens on flats at a high but reasonably comfortable rpm. but you want to put a smaller gear on the front? that would probably make you faster on the uphills and slower on the flats.

racing in a 34/17 (26") i've managed to hang with a lot of geared folks on flattish-downhill seconds by spinning as fast as possible and then coasting in a semi-tuck....getting in close behind them helps too. the initial spin produces ~25mph and there's typically enough time coasting to rest and repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its all about maintaining momentum.
    Kinda hard on a consistent 8 to 10% grade.......like a fire service road. On a rollie course, sure. I gear mine to climb, and relay/recover on the few flats I encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    If the flats is the weakest part of your ride, another thing to consider is to "tire down".

While I'm just a single speed lurker who loves his 1 x 9, I do know the single biggest factor for speed in smooth conditions is tires. IF you can sacrifice some comfort and traction and move down a notch in tires, you will roll faster.
    Good call on tires. I just put some Stans "Ravens" on bike and am moving faster.
    Looking into a spin class.

i use a spray can and lighter for legs. It makes legs nice and smooth and produces a nice healthy tan.