I like to ride bikes!

Spicer TI? Feedback???

Some of you might have seen my post from last week about chrome plating. So chrome does not seem like the best idea. So I found this. I'm thinking this fits the bill (paintless) . Anyone have any experience with Spicers TI SS???

The Top Cap Guy
    I have a Spicer Ti SS Frame. Got it and the fork at the same time from Gene. Full custom geometry (even got to pick the distances and quantity of cable guides. Mine is a EBB Disc only setup. The only thing I messed up on was the tire clearance in the rear (mainly on the chainstays - seat stays are fine). I can only run a 2.1 tire at the widest in the rear. That's my only gripe... and it's kind of my fault as I picked the entire geometry and sizes...

I absolutely love the ride... fully rigid on this bike is not a fair statement - very complaint and accurate would be a better terms. I liked the bike so much that 2 months after I got it I sold off my 6 month old Santa Cruz Heckler. Then I tried the full suspension again and tried a Giant Carbon NRS bike... just sold that one off too... had it a year and less than 100 miles... I just ride the SS whenever I can. Can't say enough good stuff about it.

Gene was also a deciding factor for me - he was super easy to talk with and advised me on many frame choices for my riding. He was a stand up guy and stood behind the bike. I was sold on him.

Now this is the same bike you could get your self from XACD. He gets them from a Chinese manufature. Which some people on MTBR don't like... and say your asking for trouble. Not everyone, but some. I felt comfortable with it because Gene said he would stand behind it and make anything right if I had a problem. And I never have... I'm 215 lbs in riding gear and not exactly the lightest rider. I've never had any issues at all with the bike. Some people have broken the Ti forks (first generation) but no one I know of has broken the 2nd gen ones (mine was one of the first gen 2). Also I only know of one person that broke a frame - I believe it was at the head tube, top tube weld. Gene took care of it, but it did happen.

Over all for the money I bet you'd be happy with one... I am...

Hope this helps some.
    FF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

You Are What You Is
    Hey Freddy, is the Ti fork overly flexy under your weight? I ask because I've been contemplating a Spicer Ti SS cruiser 29er (that's a mouthful) with the Ti fork, but have heard that they are too flexy for someone of my weight. I weigh 215 before I put my gear on.

The Top Cap Guy
    Well it it flexy.... but I still think it tracks very good. Now I've always ridden suspension forks so my rigid fork comparision may not be good. But I'd have to compare it to an older Cannondale I had with the lockout Headshock. It seems to carve into corners, and track very predictably. Kind of a point and shoot feeling. It's flexy to the point of taking off the small bumps on the trail (kind of like an extreme set of Carbon bars but more so). But the flexy-ness has never been an issue for me - never driving me crazy or anything. I really like it. I'd love to try a Pace carbon fork (my other choice I was looking at when I got this). But I'm afraid it will be stiffer (too much so), but I really dig the nude Carbon.

Hope this helps some more....

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    Some of you might have seen my post from last week about chrome plating. So chrome does not seem like the best idea. So I found this. I'm thinking this fits the bill (paintless) . Anyone have any experience with Spicers TI SS???
    I have used a process on my steel frames which totally rustprooofs the frame. It comes in two 'shine' levels, and you can even bead blast the frame and then coat it for a 'matte' finish.

I won't bore you with what I think about cheap ti
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

I like to ride bikes!

Tell me more!!!!

[QUOTE=Thylacine]I have used a process on my steel frames which totally rustprooofs the frame. It comes in two 'shine' levels, and you can even bead blast the frame and then coat it for a 'matte' finish.

Please please tell me more!!! Photos????

mtbr member
    Trade secret my friend. Available on any of my steel frames for a US$150 upcharge.

The stuff is so tough yet maliable, it will survive a 180 degree bend without flaking off. I even used the process on a couple of Aluminium trials frames of which I think there is some pix at albertabiking.com
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

try driving your car less
    my take on this was to do my best to figure out what i need in terms of geometry. i used some online calculators and measured some bikes i have that i like/dislike.

then i found a used ti frame on ebay with about the same measurements, and then set it up with ENO eccentric. i actually had to buy a complete bike, then sold off the shifters and stuff and came out pretty well financially. it wasnt that much of a pain because i didnt care if i got top dollar for the parts. i started them all at a buck and let em go.

used ti frames are pretty cheap now because lots of people are going to full suspension.

i did this instead of a custom steel bike, mostly because of the wait. I am very happy and would do it again. but this mostly works because i have a pretty 'standard' body and it was no problem to find a frame that fit.

just an option to consider.
    Only boring people get bored.

I like to ride bikes!

A good option...

I have thought a lot about an ENO conversion. I actually already own an old Litespeed Obed. But I really want to try disk brakes.

Thanks for the input!

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    I have thought a lot about an ENO conversion. I actually already own an old Litespeed Obed. But I really want to try disk brakes.

Thanks for the input!
    yes, disc brakes are an issue. what about ENO disc?

in any case, enjoy your new bike.
    Only boring people get bored.