Spicer question... honest opinions please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Spicer question... honest opinions please!

Guys and gals, I need your help...

I am looking at several options for my new SS steed, and the Spicer Ti with EBB is on the short list.

How does this thing ride (in general)?
    How is Mr. Spicer's build quality?
    Any concerns or complaints or even fiddily little things that I might want to consider?

I want this to last me many, many years...

Thanks in advance my SS brudders and SSisters.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member

short reply

Gene is great to deal with.
    Gene does not make the Ti frames, they are made in one of the Asian countries (forget where, Taiwane?)
    I had one of the first frames made, it cracked at the toptube/seattube junction. Gene had it shipped back to the mfg and they fixed it, but apparantly did not "up grade the design".
    I had a teammate buy the same frame and as well one of the first available, he cracked his frame as well. Same service from Gene and his frame was redesigned a little by lowering the TT on the seat tube. He has been riding his for many miles since the upgrade with no problems.
    I sold my frame shortly after the fix and received an email from the buy a few weeks ago stating that the frame cracked and I think it was in the same place.

Moral of story is if you buy a new frame, it has been redesigned a tad and you should get a great frame from a great survace company (Gene) and many years of great riding experience. If you buy a used one I would make sure it is not of of the first designed frames.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Guys and gals, I need your help...

I am looking at several options for my new SS steed, and the Spicer Ti with EBB is on the short list.

How does this thing ride (in general)?
    How is Mr. Spicer's build quality?
    Any concerns or complaints or even fiddily little things that I might want to consider?

I want this to last me many, many years...

Thanks in advance my SS brudders and SSisters.

Gimme dat!!

I just got my Spicer Ti EBB

The only complaint I have is that the spacing between the chainstays only allows me to run a 2.1 or maybe a 2.2 tire. Gene mentioned that he is trying to get more space back there from the builder.

The bike rides great and Gene is a stand up guy...if something goes wrong he will make it right.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Spicer is your lower cost Ti bike option, but Gene does give great service and will deal with any issues that may occur with the frame you buy through him. I ordered a cruiser SS with EBB and have not had any problems so far, but have not rode the thing enough to make a long term assessment.

I've talked to several longtime Spicer frame owners and all say the same thing..

SS Slave

The Top Cap Guy
    I've had my Ti Ebb from Gene since last July. No quality problems at all and the world's best customer service. My only complaint is rear tire size (previously mentioned). The max tire I can run is a 2.1 also.... any thing bigger rubs the chainstays. Other than that the ride is great and I love it. I have no plans on replacing it (and I'm a bike whore - prior to this bike I went through 13 bikes in 3 years). I've also only ran the bike with a Ti rigid fork and have had no issues there either. I'm a 200lb XC rider that is not easy on parts (my other bike was a Santa Cruz Heckler).... and the bike has never given me any doubts. Thumbs up in my book. Not saying it because I have it - I'd slam it if I didn't like it. I admit I've bought junk before because it was the latest greatest thing... but this is not the case here.

Hope this helps some.
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Since Iíve only had my Spicer Ti cruiser and Ti fork for about a month now I canít comment on the longevity, however, Iím very satisfied with the ride and quality. Gene was very professional to work with. If you go with a custom frame, be very exact with the drawings and look them over twice before signing off on them. Beyond choosing your geometry/tube lengths, look carefully at cable placement (zip ties, etcÖ), tire clearance, etcÖ Iíve had my drawings come back with changes that I wanted, but yet to find out there were other changes that I never requested. The CAD drawings are done in China and Gene acts as the middle man for these Ti products. Choose a tire circ of about 85mm and make sure they put the chainstay crimps in the appropriate area so you can fit wide tires. I think Gene has finally got the tire clearance thing worked out with the builder. I recommend a Spicer Ti. Iíve had other custom frames built and Spicer was the easiest to work with.

mtbr member

Love My Spicer

Quote Originally Posted by Menny
    The only complaint I have is that the spacing between the chainstays only allows me to run a 2.1 or maybe a 2.2 tire. Gene mentioned that he is trying to get more space back there from the builder.

The bike rides great and Gene is a stand up guy...if something goes wrong he will make it right.
    As Kman mentioned in this thread, I had a frame that cracked and was modified/repaired. I have one of the earlier frames and I put on a Kenda Kinetics 2.35 tire with no problems (maybe it's not really a 2.35??).
    One complaint I have was that my head tube was a little off causing creaks in my headset. I had it reemed and faced and now it's fine. I made Gene aware of the problem and he said he would check future frames.

Gene is fantastic to work with and he really stood behind his product. My frame was returned to me in 4 weeks. Gene also covered the costs to have the cable guides moved from the top to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No question...

that Gene has the best customer service. Of course the products are outstanding (I have a ti frame from Spicer) but the service alone makes it well worth doing business with him. Go for it....

And He was Not
    I do not have my Ti S/S yet, but it should be here in about 2 more weeks. All this chatter about the customer service is true. Gene has been great to deal with. I can't wait to get my Frame. All of the above mentioned problems are supposed to have been addressed on the newer frames. Where else are you gonna get a Ti frame at this price and with a good warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information.
    this space left intentionally blank