Specialized Stumpjumper 29er SS Problems?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Specialized Stumpjumper 29er SS Problems?

I just bought a Stumpjumper 29er singlespeed. I really like the bike and bought it because I liked my geared Stumpjumper 29er. Its been less than one month and so far I've had several problems. #1-the SRAM GXP bottom bracket developed a major "wobble" within the first few hours. If you grabed a crank arm you could wiggle the sprocket considerably. I believe this was what caused the chain to break within the first few hours. The bike shop begrudgingly warrantied the BB and put in another shim (between the crank arm and BB) that is so far working. #2-the Fox fork seals are leaking oil out of the left side. #3-the concentric? BB design loosens up causing me to pull off the trail to tighten it.

Is anyone else riding this bike? Have you had any problems? I'm mostly concerned about the frame design regarding the BB loosening.

Thanks!

Apr 2007
    What kind of EBB does it have? Pinch/Set bolt? Split Shell? Did you tighten to correct torque specs? Teflon tape around BB?

Everytime I read an EBB thread, it reaffirms that, for once in my life, I made the right choice by not going EBB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    What kind of EBB does it have? Pinch/Set bolt? Split Shell? Did you tighten to correct torque specs? Teflon tape around BB?

should be a split shell EBB, one the less problematic (according to the interwebs) EBBs...I agree to check the torque, although it sounds like the shop might have dropped the ball on the build

Everytime I read an EBB thread, it reaffirms that, for once in my life, I made the right choice by not going EBB.
    +1!!!! I love my sliders....

Rhino
    i ride a pinch bolt EBB Stumpy. I love it and have absolutely no problems. I've had track drops, sliders and EBB. The pitch bolt EBB is by far my favorite. Others will disagree.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What year is your bike ? Did you purchase frame only or complete ?
    My 2011 has had no issues, except for the usual noisy brakes..cured by rotor change.
    'Not sure how the BB would loosen up if the pinch bolts are tight

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i would keep taking it back to the LBS until the issues are resolved. also contact Specialized and let them know their licensed distributor (your LBS) is hassling you. the bike should obviously not present these types of problems with this few miles on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have the 2010 model, bought used. I had a similar crankarm issue, but mine wasn't too bad. Just took a little extra tightening and it went away. EBB has been fine, no slippage. A tad creaky if I don't hose it off every few rides, but I ride on dusty trails. The rear brake has an annoying vibration/resonance at certain speeds, not sure why. Otherwise no probs, and I really love the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    +1!!!! I love my sliders....
    I currently have an EBB rockhopper 29 running singlespeed. It was a warranty replacement frame for a Rockhopper with sliding dropouts that would not sit still. Specialized had no answer why their dropouts couldn't be held in place. Not a problem 1 with my EBB.

Members who have read this thread: 1