Specialized HR XC Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Specialized HR XC Build

First of all I would like to apologize if this isn't the right place to post.
    I have acquired a Specialized HR XC. It was sitting on the side of the building where I work. My co-worker suggested that I take it, but I dismissed the idea. Over a month went by and the bike was still out there. So finally i decided to bring it in for an inspection. Here it is:
    Specialized HR XC  Build-low_1.jpg

At first I wanted to fix it up and make it ride able again. I live in Boulder and I figured that rebuilding this bike would give me another way to enjoy the mountains. After acquiring this bike last summer (2014) it sat around on my porch till now. I decided that I want to make it a single speed and bring it back to Chicago with me so I can cruise around the city on photo adventures. I will be posting pictures of the progress of this build. I appreciate any advice and tips you may have. This is my first build and I'm definitely a little in over my head.

More Pictures:
    Specialized HR XC  Build-low_2.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_3.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_4.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_5.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_6.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_7.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_8.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_9.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_10.jpg

As you can see it's not in good shape.
    -Missing front brake
    -Missing gear shifters
    -Rear brakes don't work either
    -Tire/wheel not original to the bike
    -Handel bars are barley hanging on
    -It has a crack in the frame (not pictured)

I barley did any research before taking on this project (first mistake of many!) I wanted to breathe new life into this bike. At this point I had no idea what each bike part was called or the tools I would need.

Money Spent so far $0

mtbr member
    May 2015

Update #1

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1310.jpg

Starting to work on it! Removed the seat, font wheel, fork, handle bars, and rear wheel. Now I don't have a chain tool or a crank arm puller so off to the store.

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1313.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1314.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1316.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1315.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015

Update #2

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1311.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1312.jpg

Picked up a Park Tool CT-5 to remove the chain. Someone recommended this Aircraft paint remover to take the paint off. This stuff is strong. I wouldn't use it without gloves or without being outside.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I guess those crankrings are riveted? That kinda sucks. Saw a set of XT cranks on jenson for like $99, the middle chainring will get you started. Best deal going imo.

Drill out the cassette, now you have an assortment of cogs to try. They'll slip but you can see what gear ratio works for you. Also you can try a few combos to see how close you can get to making it work without a chain tensioner. If one combo works there will be others.

Gonna paint that sucka eh. Is it going to be an urban-camo Jackson-Pollock style rattle-can grafitti-art perpetual work in progress? Or maybe, flat white base covered in crazy Maori-tattoo-style sharpie art? We're talking Chicago here brother, gotta bring some game art-wise.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ordered a tensioner, it comes with 8x 4.5mm spacers, 3x 3mm spacers, and 3 cogs. 16,18,20 tooth. I was thinking for now having the chain set on the middle chainring. Havn't decided which cog I will use in the back. Any recommendations? Im also thinking of getting an "N-Gear Jump Stop" so the chain doesn't slip off the chainring. Will this be a good solution until I can get a proper chainring for singlespeeds? Also will i need a different chain?

Won't be getting to crazy with the paint job. The frame will be matte black. The forks, handlebars, the guard on the chainrings will be Guacamole Green. I'm thinking the tensioner will be painted green aswell. Has anyone ever painted a wheel before? I'd like to make this one black to match the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Those are 26 inch wheels right, and I'm assuming 175mm cranks and a 32t chainring. For street, I would try the 16 in the back. Been a while since I did this on a 26er but for street that should be a good place to start.

If you space your rear cog right, and there's not too much wear on the chainring, I'll bet you won't have much trouble up front. Keeping the chain on the cog will be the challenge.

Almost doesn't matter what kind of chain. Stamped steel cogs will work with anything. Better to go with like 8 or 9 speed chain once you start getting ss-specific rings/cogs. Do you know how to splice chain, meaning put it back together with a pin using your chainbreaker? Nice skill to have. The KMC link thing is nice but it's easier to get it just right if you know how to put chain together as well as you can take it apart.

Hang on to that derailleur, we might come back to that.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yes 26 inch wheels. I'm trying to hang on to all the parts in case i need them at some point. I tried once putting the chain back together with that tool but it was pretty tricky. That was a while ago and now I'm not sure where that little pin is at. Also I think the hub on that back wheel might be damaged.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Update #3

Using the Aircraft Paint Remover:
    Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1317.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1320.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1321.jpg

This stuff works really fast, I used a rag to wipe it off and the paint came with it.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Update #4

This screw is spinning in place, can't get it off. I plan on sawing it off at work.

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1338.jpg

Getting the paint off has been pretty easy so far. It's all these little spots that will be time consuming.

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1336.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1334.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1325.jpg

Started using some sandpaper

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1348.jpg

Here's the crack I was talking about earlier, its on the bottom of the frame:

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1341.jpg

I plan on filling it in with some JB weld, and also got a tool to take the crank arms off:

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1339.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1343.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1344.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1346.jpg

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1350.jpg

This Cantilever stud is also stuck, I need some vice grips to get it off.

Specialized HR XC  Build-low_img_1352.jpg

Fat-tired Roadie
    The crack would be a deal breaker for me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What is that, the chainstay? When that thing breaks, it's gonna leave a mark. As for fixing it properly, you could ask over in the frame builder forum. Bet you could get a new frame for less $.

Return the JB weld and start over. Time to hit the garage sales.

Now, lets think about what you're trying to do here. A rehab project like this might not cost a ton of money but it will take up a lot of your time. At the end, it would be nice to have something cool, something if you put up on Craigslist somebody might really want to buy it. Or, more importantly, something this forum will ooh and aah over.

Let me throw this out there: there's a connoisseur's market for vintage 80's chromoly road frames. Back in the day, those frames had horizontal dropouts, which makes them ideal for ss projects. Check out ebay and craigslist and see what people are asking for these old frames, you'll be amazed. So if you're gonna find one you have to hit the garage sales and hope to find somebody who doesn't know what they are sitting on.

Bring your ruler, because if you find a frame that'll take 650b cyclocross wheels/tires... that would be a cool project. Well worth the considerable effort you should be making art-wise.