Special ENO crank chain...wheel (?) tool question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420

    Special ENO crank chain...wheel (?) tool question

    First of all, is it still a "chainring" if it's not really a ring but rather a disc, plate, or wheel? Chaindisc? Chainplate? Chainwheel? Sprocket?

    Okay, to the real question: what tool (or method) are you all using to remove the lockring when it's time to change chainrings? The diameter is too small for my "normal" spanner, and I'm told that White Industries isn't selling their dedicated tool.

  2. #2
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,246

    'nother thread

    there was a fairly recent thread discussing this same topic - maybe search or scroll down a bit. Bottom line was a spanner does the trick. White Ind. directly recommended the "hook" end of a BB tool but that didn't cut it at the shop. The cranks in a vice and a spanner in 2 of the 3 notches was the tikit.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Okay, to the real question: what tool (or method) are you all using to remove the lockring when it's time to change chainrings? The diameter is too small for my "normal" spanner, and I'm told that White Industries isn't selling their dedicated tool.

  3. #3
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ilegal, Y Que?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29
    Nat,

    That was a thread started by me. IMHO, I think it's crazy to not produce a tool for the lockring on the chainring. It would be on par if WI produced the ENO freewheel and didn't produce a tool to remove it other then saying-use this tool from Park Tools, it doesn't really fit, but with bound determination, you will get the freewheel off.

    I had no luck using the spanner. I use the SPA-4. Doesn't really fit, but it will work.

    email WI and tell them about it. With enough emails, they will produce a tool for it.

    good luck.

  5. #5
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,247

    Good job! Hozan

    The double-ended locking ring/BB tool from Hozan works wonderfully!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    The double-ended locking ring/BB tool from Hozan works wonderfully!
    It fits snugly without play?

  7. #7
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilegal, Y Que?
    Nat,

    That was a thread started by me. IMHO, I think it's crazy to not produce a tool for the lockring on the chainring. It would be on par if WI produced the ENO freewheel and didn't produce a tool to remove it other then saying-use this tool from Park Tools, it doesn't really fit, but with bound determination, you will get the freewheel off.

    I had no luck using the spanner. I use the SPA-4. Doesn't really fit, but it will work.

    email WI and tell them about it. With enough emails, they will produce a tool for it.

    good luck.
    Yes, I agree they should make a tool if no one else (i.e., Park Tool) makes one. I took your suggestion and emailed WI about it.

  8. #8
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,247

    Smile

    The larger end fits the lockring nicely. It's not a "custom" fit, but no chances of slipping and/or damaging anything! I also put the crank arm in a padded vice. I've been using the same wrench for several years and now three sets of ENO cranks.



    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    It fits snugly without play?

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,420
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    The larger end fits the lockring nicely. It's not a "custom" fit, but no chances of slipping and/or damaging anything! I also put the crank arm in a padded vice. I've been using the same wrench for several years and now three sets of ENO cranks.
    Excellent, I'll find one of those tools. Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Welcome, here's your 29er FAQ thread!
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. Greasing bottom bracket spindle?
    By Belfrey in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
  3. What do you use to lock up your bike?
    By LavaPunk in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 01:20 AM
  4. Good info on bike locks.
    By 2melow in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 01:02 AM
  5. What's the white goop on my bb spindle?
    By Spoiler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 11:16 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.