Spec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Spec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.

Anyone in here have any experence on the Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.? Could I get some feed back in regards to your overall opinion / how it stacked up compared to other S.S. frames - it would be really great if anyone has a Superfly SS to Stumpjumper Carbon SS experience!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have last years sworks version of the stumpy SS, and I cannot say enough good stuff about it. It is a killer bike. I had a super fly that was geared that I converted to a SS, but it was not a SS specific frame. I liked it but not the way I like my stumpy.
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

mtbr member
    I just ordered the 2012 Stumpy Carbon Single Speed frame. I have been riding a GT Peace 9er which is a steel triple triangle and not exactly the lightest but its a fun bike. I have always hated the way aluminum felt. I cant explain how I excited I am to build it up and ride! Should be here within 4-7 days! As far as I know there's practicly no difference between 2012 and 2013. I've been trying to find the specs on the 2012 but the dam thing is a ghost. I'm assuming the head tube is 1-1/7 to 1-1/2? Hopefuly my reba will fit. Might have to do some swapping / selling of parts.

mtbr member
    Ah here it is! Found this on the Spesh website. This is what I just bought

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have one. coming off steel (mariachi) and a niner one9. By far amazing. very snappy and nimble, yet super comfy while cruising on light chunder. I run mine with the carbon chisel fork and its hands down the best ride I've had. Got a great deal on mine, so if you can get a deal or stomach the price tag..........do it

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    I have one. coming off steel (mariachi) and a niner one9. By far amazing. very snappy and nimble, yet super comfy while cruising on light chunder. I run mine with the carbon chisel fork and its hands down the best ride I've had. Got a great deal on mine, so if you can get a deal or stomach the price tag..........do it
    The seller I got mine from Included the original s-works carbon seat post, carbon bars, spec. alloy stem, and a Romin Expert saddle. $1,000 for frame and extras, $50 for shipping (which is a surprisingly low shipping rate, and a selling point for me) After my long and extensive research and waiting for just the right deal to pop up, I think my patience paid off. It's been 2 days since I bought and I can't wait to lay eyes on it! My biggest quandary now is which single speed crank I, going to need. I really want the X.0 1x10 carbon crankset, but its $400-$500! I need too many other parts to justify it. My second option is an XT triple converted to SS crankset since the middle chain ring is already a 32 and I wouldn't have to order another but I worry about chainline. Not sure what I'll end up with. :/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    the cranks are the tricky part since its a pf30 frame. I'm running the oem boat anchor bb30 cranks off my previous 1x10 sj evo. without using stupid adaptors to size down to a 24mm spindle, your options are limited to oem cranks like mine. e13 cranks with their bb or xx1 cranks. its tough to run anything else and get a good chainline. or use a bb30 triple crankset and use the center ring ( guess I'm picky and want a dedicated ss crank) That being said, crhis king is coming out with a pf24 bb to remedy the single ring pf30 dilemma.

good luck

mtbr member
    There's a couple XX1 BB30 32T cranksets on ebay (without the bottom bracket) for $255. This might be a good option. I don't see an compatibility issues, price is suprising for brand new carbon cranks. I can get the PF30 BB for a little under 40$ from QBP or J+B. This might solve my crankset issues. Is there any issue with chainline here? I don't really see why there would be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    There's a couple XX1 BB30 32T cranksets on ebay (without the bottom bracket) for $255. This might be a good option. I don't see an compatibility issues, price is suprising for brand new carbon cranks. I can get the PF30 BB for a little under 40$ from QBP or J+B. This might solve my crankset issues. Is there any issue with chainline here? I don't really see why there would be.
    xx1 is my plan. its actually the best bang for buck for carbon

mtbr member
    Yeah I want to use XX1 I just don't know for sure if it would cause chain line issues. Especialy since I don't know for sure if I will end up with a SS Wheelset that doesn't have a SS Casette style hub body with spacers. Is there a way to know what the BB width is on my 2012 Carbon Stumpy SS frame before it gets here? I'd like to know what parts I can order in advance. It *LOOKS* like there's a possibility that it comes with a BB already, can't tell for sure though. Specialized Bicycle Components
    Last edited by austinTRON; 05-09-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add questin

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good job! 2013 Stumpjumper SS Carbon

I've only had mine for a few days, and already I've found it to be a much smoother ride than the 2011 S-Works Stumpy I owned previously! Must be the "lesser" carbon huh?

Either way, it's a magic ride and that satin black looks a million bucks.

I built mine up with Enves, FRM Crankset, Fox Fork, and Hope Race brakes...

Spec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.-img_0449_2.jpgSpec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.-img_0456.jpgSpec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.-img_0458.jpg

nothing to see here
    Brilliant. Bravo Jim!
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Reba for mine, $522 there. Money is an issue for me so I think I'll put some lowered end Shimano hydraulic brakes on to start out so I can get my XX1 crankset and get it ride-able. There's one for $200 here on mtbr in the classified section but I won't be able to buy them for another week so I sure hope they're still there =x

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Jenson USA has X9 BB30 cranks on sale for $99 if you need them. You can hawk the spider/ring for $30-40 and have a BB30 crank for $60.

Not bling like the XX, but looks good and allows spiderless all the same.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's do-able. My favorite thing about the XX1 though, is that it already has a 32T chain rings with the taller teeth that are specific to single speeding, carbon cranks that don't fatigue like alloy and cranks are rotating weight and priority for light weightness. 2x10s are also difficult when it comes to single speed applications when it comes to chain line. The triples usualy work fine with the center chain ring and the outer ring used as a guide / bash guard, but they're more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thought of trying the north shore billet 1x spider for xo cranks. kind of partial to my current 104 bcd chainring. $70for the spider and xo cranks can be had cheap on ebay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah that's do-able. My favorite thing about the XX1 though, is that it already has a 32T chain rings with the taller teeth that are specific to single speeding, carbon cranks that don't fatigue like alloy and cranks are rotating weight and priority for light weightness. 2x10s are also difficult when it comes to single speed applications when it comes to chain line. The triples usualy work fine with the center chain ring and the outer ring used as a guide / bash guard, but they're more expensive.
    Yep XX1 is a great option. I was only suggesting as a solution if you wanted a short-term fix or did not want to spend $350 for a crankset. I do not usually run bash guards since I don't have super technical rocky terrain where I ride.

As for rotating weight. I think apart from wheels, its benefits are overstated. On my SS road bike, I went from:

Campy Record alloy crankset
    steel spindle BB
    Shimano alloy 105 pedals

to

Token Ti BB
    Campy Centaur Carbon crankset
    Ultegra carbon pedals

Dropped ~200 grams. Didn't feel a lick of difference. Looks nice on the gram scale and sitting there. My SS roadie is about 16 lbs so even for an admitted junior weight weenie, I can tell you rotating weight at the crank, from my experience, has zero impact on performance.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by hiroshima View Post
    I can tell you rotating weight at the crank, from my experience, has zero impact on performance.
    I hear you there, but it's a nice perk to think about when trying to justify $300 for a crankset, lol. I really like the idea of the X.0 crankset also but, any crankset that doesn't come with a 32T chain ring means I'm going to have to buy another chain ring and sell the ones I don't use. I'd prefer to avoid this if I can. I havn't found an X.0 Crankset any where that comes with a 32T chainring any where yet either. At least not a X.0 1x10 BB30 175mm crankset. Is it only XX1 that is available in different Q Factors? Why is this?... I kinda wish they never bothered. Just one more statistic to worry about.

mtbr member
    AND HERE IT IS! ITS SO BEAUTIFUL! Even better looking in person! Words can't express how excited I am. oh man...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    nice. same one I have. good score!

mtbr member
    I got everything you see here for $1,000 flat!

mtbr member

Spec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.

Awesome deal! Wish I could find a large for that

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    some inspiration, since there are few in that color scheme..........
    Spec Stumpjumper Carbon 29 S.S.-ssresize_zpsb01cd6ee.jpg

mtbr member
    Man that's beautiful! I work at a specialized dealer and they won't let us EP the chisel. It's so hard to get ahold of. I just put a Reba on mine. Still waiting for my XX1 cranks and PF30 BB to show up. I'll be running some pretty cheesy wheels at the beginning. I've got a set of burly as WTB OEM wheels that came from my old GT Peace 9er. The frame I bought came with a PF30 > GXP adapter that I have no idea how to get out. Are these difficult to remove? How do you get em out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I dont have any experience with the gxp adaptors, so good luck. The chisel basically fell in my lap. Imquired with my shop about getting one. Then the next week I get a call from my shop saying they had one. A customer bought a carve sl, and didnt want it. Easy deal on the cheap too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sitting just a hair under 19 lbs at this point

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thought of trying the north shore billet 1x spider for xo cranks. kind of partial to my current 104 bcd chainring. $70for the spider and xo cranks can be had cheap on ebay.
    Love my NSB ring.

mtbr member
    Sitting just a hair under 19 lbs at this point
    I'm sure you're gunna beat me at the weighing game. I'm gunna have to run some ridiculous burly OEM WTB wheels at first, and I'm running a 3.48 pound reba instead of a chisel. :/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm sure you're gunna beat me at the weighing game. I'm gunna have to run some ridiculous burly OEM WTB wheels at first, and I'm running a 3.48 pound reba instead of a chisel. :/
    Ha, wasn't looking to kill the weight, although a plus. This thing is mostly a combo of past bikes. Only place I'd like to lose weight is in the cranks. The tires are pretty hefty, but up in new england they're kind of what i need. Best part is the thing is dead reliable while being somewhat light.

mtbr member
    Yeah I ride at Palo Duro Canyon, its mostly sandy/gravely powdery crap on top of hard packed red dirt. It's wash-out city. I really love my Racing Ralph up front though. Got a Specialized Fast Trak in the back. It's a pretty good combo for this area but it's still so sandy and powdery you never know for sure weather ur gunna make it through a turn or not. Lots of spinning out on climbs, especially on a single speed. I'm running 32/17 which probably doesn't help but it's nice on the flats. Also, XX1 Crankset is perfect for single speeding on our PF30 carbon stumpys. I got mine for 200$ on pink bike. Definitely worth googling around for.

mtbr member
    Here's some updates!

Got my 100m Reba and new headset in!

Also! I just got this today! woohooo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice looking bikes guys, does anyone know if you can get a dropout with a derailleur hanger on it to run the bike 1x10 or 1x11? Would like the bike to be SS nearly all the time but also needs to have a geared option for a backup race bike. Either this or any other frames anyone can think of?

mtbr member
    I know you can for the old SJ SS frame. Also for the Carve SS frame. However, I think that the new SJ SS frame *might* be dedicated SS.....anyone else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I know about the older alloy one, I have one of those already and have made it a 1x10 in the past. This one is for my partner who races 24hr. She has a race bike but needs a backup bike. She trains a lot on SS (standard Superfly with a surly singulator) but if we can get a nice bike that will go SS and then take gears when it needs to that would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Carbon is ss only. No drop-outs are available with a hanger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have essentially the same bike except that it is aluminum (CARVE SL) and I am wanting to put a suspension fork on mine. It came with the carbon chisel rigid fork but want to have the fork as an option. I know that the crown race is epoxied on the chisel forks from specialized so at least I would need to buy a new crown race from specialized. What I am wondering is if you guys used the stock headset that came with your carbon stumpys, which is the same as what came on the carve, or are you using a different headset from a different manufacturer? If using different, which company? I am thinking of upgrading mine but there are so many standards I am not sure which is the correct one and dont know if some manufacturer's even support this style. Thanks

nothing to see here
    I think you'll find that you'll only be able to use a specialized headset in that frame. The bevels on the bearings and cups etc are very specific. Strange that the crown race is epoxied to the fork. My 2012 carve (which didn't come with the chisel) had a separate crown race with a split, so it's easy to swap forks if I need to.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I ended up replacing the headset on my Carve Pro 29 SS frameset with a Hope headset I had. However, at the end of the day, aside from the bling factor, I personally struggle to feel much difference between headsets.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I ended up replacing the headset on my Carve Pro 29 SS frameset with a Hope headset I had. However, at the end of the day, aside from the bling factor, I personally struggle to feel much difference between headsets.
    Well, there you go. I stand corrected.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    My frame came second hand from a private seller and he included the headset but when it came out of the box it was pretty rusted. I didn't expect this and a friend at the shop grabbed me an old FSA headset he had sitting around and I threw I on and it worked fine. It's not the nicest headset but it works. It's hard to prioritize upgrades like that when you're scraping out your piggy bank to finish the build.
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah, for some reason they epoxied the crown race on the chisel forks so I am told reading other posts in the specialized forum. I know that I have to buy at least another crown race from specialized to use a different fork but figured since I was spending money on that, it could go to a whole new headset. Want a cheap but reliable cane creek headset but probably just buy the crown race since my headset is still in good shape. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Just a shot in the dark, does any one have a set of 2012 Stumpjumper carbon single speed drop outs? Or perhaps just the hardware for it? I'm in a pickle, and race season is 3 weeks away! what do I do?

nothing to see here
    Just a shot in the dark, does any one have a set of 2012 Stumpjumper carbon single speed drop outs? Or perhaps just the hardware for it? I'm in a pickle, and race season is 3 weeks away! what do I do?
    No, I don't but I had a mate who had a problem with his 2013 dropouts. Had the frame replaced under warranty (also alignment issues) and they used 2012 dropouts on the new one. Oversized bolt holes made some 2013's strip out. I was told the holes were made "in between standard sizes".

Good luck with your search.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    No luck from your LBS? If anyone should be able to get any, I would guess it would be them.....

mtbr member
    One of the fasteners is stripped out, and therefore lost the bolt and the washer underneath it, so I found a spacer for some speedplay cleats that was almost the perfect shape to fit in the grooves for the fastener and put a nut behind another 5mm bolt to snug it up. I found a regular 5mm bolt to use as the chain tensioner, had to file a grove into it to and cut a tiny washer to serve as a c-clip. It's working fine so far! Only rode around the parking lot and the street around my house so far though.

As for my LBS, I actually work at my LBS but I've only been there a year and didn't have any experience before-hand so I've learned a lot but I'm no certified mechanic or anything, nor am I the one that talks to the warranty/sales reps. This was actually the first time I called Specialized myself and talked to our warranty rep and he told me they didn't have any drop-out packages in inventory and weren't any warranty frames to rob the parts off of right now. He said he didn't expect any in until LATE FRIGGIN SEPTEMBER and that my best bet was to wait and see if another warranty frame comes in to take the drop-outs off of. So without doing some cutting and choppin and a little elbow grease I woulda been totally S.O.L.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Go to the Mcmaster carr website...tons of hardware. I'm sure you can get something there.

mtbr member
    so I do have a spot of good news though:

Chainline is dialed in!

so excited! New wheels! its like having a whole new bike!!

mtbr member
    Looks nice. What chain? Were you required to run the xx1 chain with that crank? I keep hearing different things.

mtbr member
    been running a regular 'ol sram 8 spd. no problems what-so-ever.

Members who have read this thread: 1