Spec. Crave or Trek Superfly Ss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spec. Crave or Trek Superfly Ss

Alright guys and gals, looking for some real world advice before I commit ,
    Going to visit some shops this week .
    So assuming both are available I'm trying to decide, I've ridden Spesh 29er and a Fisher and liked both( friend bikes)
    I'm starting racing again after long layoff in the NE, right now have a Jamis SS converted to 27.5
    Great bike but 29ers roll much better and more forgiving of my sloppy riding !
    Thanks in advance : )

Back at it
    I think the Trek has a little nicer components on it, and its higher price reflects this. I have a 2015 Crave SL and absolutely love it, I added a Reba DualAir and its transformed the bike. I think you'd be happy with either!
    Ellsworth Evolve SST.2

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have a Crave and I love it. I've upgraded some things over time.....wheels, fork, other tidbits. I'd agree with Storz, you'd be happy either way. You'll most likely wind up changing some things here and there making it more of YOUR bike.

mtbr member
    Well it looks like the Crave isn't available for 2017 and there aren't any larger sizes left so it may be Superfly , I'm going to hit a couple shops today and see for sure......
    The Trek does look nice, I'm 6' and there is a 19.5 frame size to be had.
    Hopefully it fits OK

Anything else I'm missing , Kona Unit maybe or Raliegh?
    M
    Miner isn't in the budget unfortunately

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd set it up tubeless any go carbon post and handlebar ... Probably won't change anything else

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just put a 14 dealer stock crave on layaway.

Apparently the Crave has been replaced with the Carve for 2016.

I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this bike.

I umderstand its possible to do a 1x9/10 conversion as well...pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Cool, they look great !
    I was confused with the whole Carve/Crave thing but looks like a super bike.
    I'm off to another dealer today to check in sizes and inventory .
    Keeping finders crossed , seems like the largest Superfly left is 19.5 and its discontinued for 2017
    Bummer I ride a 21" ...,long legs and all

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Don't discount SS offerings from Surly. The new K-monkey and the venerable 1x1 can be built up any way you want and be very close in weight for those weinies who think a light bike is faster....

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Don't discount SS offerings from Surly. The new K-monkey and the venerable 1x1 can be built up any way you want and be very close in weight for those weinies who think a light bike is faster....
    Is the 2017 KM have a rigid fork? It's the granddaddy of 29ers
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Faster uphill anyway, I need all the help I can get !
    Seriously tho , I hear you. There's a Rig not too far away I considered also but I'd prefer new this time around

mtbr member
    That being said, if anybody has or knows of a used Superfly 21" ish I'd be interested

mtbr member
    Trek is seriously discontinuing the SS Superfly? Those things seemed to sell pretty well.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Trek is seriously discontinuing the SS Superfly? Those things seemed to sell pretty well.
    It seems so. I saw the 2017 catalog fresh off the UPS truck and no SS in there.
    Bumner

mtbr member
    Lame.
    Signature

mtbr member
    So another day and another shop, we compared sizes / geometry with a x caliber and Superfly ( longer tt short chain stays ) I decided to give it a whirl!

So picking up a 2016 next week , can't wait : ) I'll post some pics when it's here, super stoked for it !

Thanks for the advice, I'll get a ride report in too

mtbr member
    So about 8 hours ride time on it, about 22# according to the shop but it feels lighter.
    Stock except for XT pedals and tubeless . Its a great bike , really rips on rolling fast trails ! I feel it's faster in the choppy stuff and eats up miles of trail reallly well as long as I keep it rolling. Climbing is great overall, only place it seems a handful is real steep slow twisty trails.....maybe it's me but I feel it takes alot of energy to get back up to speed, once it is it's gone though!
    Be racing it soon so stay tuned

mtbr member
    And there she is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spec. Crave  or Trek Superfly Ss-superfly.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've thought very hard about getting that bike. Already having a Kona Big Unit...I couldn't justify it and didn't want to go through the trouble of selling the Kona to fund the Trek. I did get a Bowie fork for the Kona though....so it's at least got a little Bontrager DNA.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Congrats on the ride! Awesome bike. I absolutely love mine. Can't say enough about it. What size is it? 19.5? I'm 6'1" and I have an 18.5" Superfly SS. The bike store sized me for it, and I thought it would be a little small for me, but hey, they're the experts, right? WRONG! haha man, I should have gone with my gut. The cockpit is a wee bit cramped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brunjc2 View Post
    Congrats on the ride! Awesome bike. I absolutely love mine. Can't say enough about it. What size is it? 19.5? I'm 6'1" and I have an 18.5" Superfly SS. The bike store sized me for it, and I thought it would be a little small for me, but hey, they're the experts, right? WRONG! haha man, I should have gone with my gut. The cockpit is a wee bit cramped.
    Thanks ! Yes 19.5, I'm 6' and it fits well.... I think there are some 19.5's left if you wanted to go through the hassle of selling it .
    Great frame- first race on it was yesterday and it went well, climbs great and very stable at speed..some of the rocky downhills were choppy but it is a rigid bike after all!

I still have to dial in the tire pressure- 25/27 was too much, a little bouncy for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Tire Pressures

Quote Originally Posted by nyxcracer View Post
    I still have to dial in the tire pressure- 25/27 was too much, a little bouncy for me
    I'm 160lbs, and I run 20/22 sometimes 22/24. This works really well for me. Any less, and I experience rims strikes; there's a decent amuont of rocks and roots where I ride.

I've ridden higher pressures, too--around what you're running--and I experience the same thing; extremely bouncy, and it slows the bike down quite a bit.

Not saying this is right, by any means,but it suits me well. Maybe it'll help you dialing your pressures in.