spacers for hub- Mtbr.com

Thread: spacers for hub

mtbr member
    May 2004

spacers for hub

hi, im building my P3 into a SS bike but i gotta keep it dirt cheap! Is there anything i can use to space onto the hub to get chain line? I got an old casette but i dont really wanna run all the gears. can i just push on a piece of pipe or a washer stack? Thanks.

Boyeeee
    PVC pipe cut to the right length will work and look pretty clean.

Check the FAQ.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Another way to do this and ensure that the stack is "square", you can take old cassettes, grind the pins that hold them together and break them apart to salvage the spacers. I used two cassettes' worth of spacers to put my single cog where I wanted it. An additional advantage of this approach is that you can modify the chainline as needed by moving spacers around. I llike the PVC pipe idea for cleaner looks, but if you choose that method, caution you to arrange a method to cut it square, such as a miter box or similar carpentry tools.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    PVC pipe cut to the right length will work and look pretty clean.
    It works.

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 01-06-2006 at 02:56 AM.

Sweep the leg!
    I used old 6 & 7 speed spacers... but then I'm an old bike geek who never throws anything away.

PVC should work well. Be careful when you torque it down though. I've discovered by working with it in its intended use, as electrical conduit, that it doesn't like being stressed. It really doesn't like being stessed in temperatures below 20 degrees farenheit. It shatters. I hate getting told to go home because it is too cold to work with the materials.
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 01-06-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: forgot a consonant

you said.. Member
    Looks good but, a $1.99 can of flat black spray paint will do wonders for the spacers. Makes'em look very custom.

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    It works.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks guys, the PVC pipe looks like a greta solution! just 1 more question? What diameter, it looks to be 1 1/4? or 1 1/2 ? This will dress my P3 up nicely, once i get the pieces correct i will paint them black. Thanks a ton

Boyeeee
    From the FAQ:

Will I need a new rear hub?

No. It is possible to convert the rear hub from your geared bicycle for single speed use.

If you have a cassette (freehub®) rear hub, the cassette can be removed, and replaced with spacers and a single BMX cog. You can use several regular cassette spacers available at any bike shop, or you buy some 1 1/4" Schedule 40 white PVC pipe from any hardware, then cut two thicker spacers to the proper length (to achieve good chainline), sandwiching the BMX cog in between. Save your cassette lock ring, though; you'll need it to hold the spacers together. See the links in the "How do I convert my geared bike to single speed?" section for complete details on how to convert the rear wheel.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    It works.
    It works, looks pretty clean, but PVC with a Boone cog??

Members who have read this thread: 1