mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Spacers, Chainline Any problem here

O.K. Just mounted the Ikons to my new I9 Enduro wheelset. Sweet.

Installed Jagwire brake lines as well.

So I calculated chainline and measurement appear to be within a mm
    of "perfect". When I stand at the rear of the Kona and sight along the top of the tire it appears to be dead center with seatpost.

However from the rear as I look at clearance between tire and chainstays the sidewall is much closer to the left side chainstay.

i thought I had installed rear tire improperly so loosened skewer and following proper procedure turned nut on other side till skewer closed with a bit of resistance (imprint on palm method).

Still left sidewall looks closer to chainstay but still appears dead center along top.

Is this a function of using spacers?

Honestly I have not been drinking.

mtbr member
    Do you mean the spacers for your rear sprocket? They have nothing to do with tire alignment.

When you spin your tire, does it seem to have a wobble? Sometimes you may not mount the tire evenly and the bead may not seat evenly all the way around. This will make it look like its protruding to one side or the other. Soapy water around the beads and airing to 60ish psi will usually get it seated. You will notice the audible "ping" as the tire seats into the wheel. If not, reduce pressure and i would roll the tire sideways with my hands to get it seated evenly.

If your tire is evenly mounted, then try installing the wheel with equal measurements from each side of the chainstay. You may even see that the tire now properly lines up with the seatpost. Using reference points and looking with your eye can be skewed by visual perspective. Measurements are usually the most accurate method.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Do you mean the spacers for your rear sprocket? They have nothing to do with tire alignment.

When you spin your tire, does it seem to have a wobble? Sometimes you may not mount the tire evenly and the bead may not seat evenly all the way around. This will make it look like its protruding to one side or the other. Soapy water around the beads and airing to 60ish psi will usually get it seated. You will notice the audible "ping" as the tire seats into the wheel. If not, reduce pressure and i would roll the tire sideways with my hands to get it seated evenly.

If your tire is evenly mounted, then try installing the wheel with equal measurements from each side of the chainstay. You may even see that the tire now properly lines up with the seatpost. Using reference points and looking with your eye can be skewed by visual perspective. Measurements are usually the most accurate method.
    Thanks. I did measure as well. Im thinking bead is seated. I aired up with Stans.

I'll deflate and give it another go. True I did not hear the typical POP/POP on the rear tire but not losing air.

Thanks

re aired. no change. Hmmmm?

one chain loop
    check your dish. flip the wheel, cog on the left and rotor on the right.

if the clearance is still closer to the left, it is a frame alignment problem.

if the clearance is closer to the right, then your dish is incorrect and has to be adjusted.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Don't I feel stupid. Brought Kona to LBS. Simple. I had tightened chain and sliders were not adjusted symmetrically.

Lesson learned.