Spaced SS w/ Cassette?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spaced SS w/ Cassette?

I know... why would I? What's the point? Etc Etc.....
    Anyone ever try to run a partial cassette on a King or Dt Swiss (Hugi) SS hub? Not sure if it'll fit, haven't taken the time to try. The hub body has a bit of space to adjust for chainline, ever try to install an XT cassette block w/o the loose cogs?
    Gee... a 5 speed. Cool... I wonder what more gears would be like..... And so on.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Recovering couch patato
    There's a Funky Drivetrain thread on the 29" board. Most all options are covered there.

I like 3-4-5spd like you suggest, but with larger than the usual gaps in cassette's. Like taking out every other cog, to end up with 22-30% gaps between gears, improving the range gotten from the limited numbers of cogs.

I consider my 3, 4, and 5spd SS cassette hub setups as "multiple singlespeed". A gear for drafting the local time trial team training for a race, a gear for covering flat solo road miles, a tough off-road SS gear for smooth, rolling trails, a lighter SS gear, and gear to prevent steepness-inflicted walking.
    It may sound like lots of gears, but when riding local race courses, I do all in the tough SS trail, apart from the 2 most nasty short climbs, where I pick the lighter SS gear. Most of the lap I ride SS-style, I spin, I coast, I push.
    As long as stay within a given rpm range, SS is really quick (and obviously, FUN). The gears are there to suck up any extreme speed highs and low.
    On a super-fast flat fire road race, I'd still singlespeed most of the time, using the solo road gear. If you pick the gears right, you're like singlespeeding everywhere, but never with more hurt than your legs can take (I'm weak that way as a racer).

If you're gonna use gears, make sure they're FUNKY gears!

mtbr member

curious

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones
    I know... why would I? What's the point? Etc Etc.....
    Anyone ever try to run a partial cassette on a King or Dt Swiss (Hugi) SS hub? Not sure if it'll fit, haven't taken the time to try. The hub body has a bit of space to adjust for chainline, ever try to install an XT cassette block w/o the loose cogs?
    Gee... a 5 speed. Cool... I wonder what more gears would be like..... And so on.
    Do those hubs have the key slot that forces all cogs to line up for shifting or do they have symmetric slots?

mtbr member
    Couldn't say 100% but... i'm pretty sure it does.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Members who have read this thread: 0