sorry to ask... but...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

sorry to ask... but...

Im usually dirtjumping or anything gravity and my prized possession and money pit is my dj bike but i have an older specialized hardrock for some xc with my girlfriend. I HATE GEARS, but i dont want to spend much money on the cheap old hardrock to convert it so whats a good cheap 26inch hardtail that can put up with some abuse but will be a simple conversion to SS? i need to know where to start.
    8BALL UP8

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    can you get us a picture? do you knwo if its a freewheel or a freehub wheel?

Freehub solution: find a spacer kit (something like this)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

you really cant go wrong with a spacer kit like this, plus it comes with a 16 tooth cog.

i don't know if the crank set is so old that the rings came riveted in so if its not riveted go ahead and take off all the rings (even the little one, you may need to remove the crank arm) and get a chain ring that fits your crank arm pattern(4 bolt or five) and BCD length

any SS ring will do fine but id suggest getting maybe a 36 or a 34 . I would but the ring where the old middle ring was and start from there. remember to align the cog with the ring so you dont have any problems with chain falling off or whatever.

now you have the problem of tensioning , there are many ways you can do this but probably the cheapest best way to do it is with a derailleur hanger type tensioner.

yes people will argue about doing something different ways to tension it or which chain tensioner is the best but ive used this with not much of a hassle( the spring did give out on me but that was because i tightened it too much so I bought a new one):

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ingleator.aspx

anyways thats your basic SS setup , if you have a freewheel type hub your on your own because im still working on that and im sure some one here of the forums will help you out.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Members who have read this thread: 0