A son of a Ute- Mtbr.com

Thread: A son of a Ute

Account Retired

Listen! A son of a Ute

Finally got her built and will test ride my retarded wrenching skills tonight in the thick stinky mud of Deer Grove.

Photo 1 - Purdy

Photo 2 - Massive tirte clearance - Bigger than the origional - 2.3 conti survival pro's have over 1/2" clearance

Photo 3 - Naked Headtube cries out for some of Jen Green's custom bike jewelry (headbadge)

Photo 4 - Lone identifiable sticker (ubber Stealth)
    Attached Images Attached Images

King Pin

Good job!

Beautiful Gary! I want one...

Did you hafta go with a longer-spindled BB? I've gotta go out and get a 118mm today for the Couch bike....so's I can run them pretty ENO's.

Account Retired

120 mm

I slapped a 120 mm raceface taper lock on there and it seems to line up ok. She rode ok on the pavement last night, but we'll see what happens in the dirt tonight.

Couch - Davenport - Devan - Love Seat - Sofa King

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought I heard a while back Matt was only making 29ers?

Sam

King Pin
    I think you must break a 26'er to get another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    I thought I heard a while back Matt was only making 29ers?

Sam

Cyclist

Very nice

Nice looking ride.

What h-bars are those?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member

nice!

ultra clearance, ultra speed! nice machine man! this you will ride at 24/9!

Account Retired

Moooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Nice looking ride.

What h-bars are those?
    Moots

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

ENO bb length?

xrmattaz: what is the couch bike? I put the ENO on a new Voodoo with the recommended 113 bb, and most likely will have to upjump to a 118mm.
    carsrcoffins.com

King Pin

Wink

That would be the Ti Sofa King King Pin. Momma won't let me say "Sofa King" around the house....she calls it the "couch bike".

Gary, will we be seeing you next February?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurl
    xrmattaz: what is the couch bike? I put the ENO on a new Voodoo with the recommended 113 bb, and most likely will have to upjump to a 118mm.

Out spokin'

That is a gorgeous bike

I would consider buying a MC if only he would build the bike I want instead of the bike he wants. Disc brakes don't seem so unreasonable to me...

Anyway, your bike is gorgeous.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

JAK
    mtbr member

Nice clean rig,,,

Always liked thew naked TI finish myself....but, do you normally use a wide BB?? I have been SS for 7 some years and never had knee problems until I went with a wide BB to accomodate my frames high Q factor. A 121 octi to be exact. I have a 31" inseam if that counts. After a month or two of pain, I went back to my rig with a 113 and the pain went away quickly...anyway...Have fun on that sucker and let the high 'Q' factor be you, not your rig!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

USB Rep'n
    man is that hot! great bike man, have fun!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

flexiflyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I would consider buying a MC if only he would build the bike I want instead of the bike he wants.
    I don't tell people what they want. I offer what I offer. There is a difference.

MC

flexiflyer

Q depends on the crank...

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    ....but, do you normally use a wide BB?? I have been SS for 7 some years and never had knee problems until I went with a wide BB to accomodate my frames high Q factor. A 121 octi to be exact. I have a 31" inseam if that counts. After a month or two of pain, I went back to my rig with a 113 and the pain went away quickly...anyway...Have fun on that sucker and let the high 'Q' factor be you, not your rig!
    The Q of the ENO cranks is not excessively high with the wider BB. The ENOs seem to be a bit lower profile than most modern MTB cranks (and even some older style Japanese stuff like Sugino XDs) and also they seem to be compatible with the chainline of their own ENO hub. The ENO hub is designed around a 47mm chainline, which is 5-7mm more inboard than most traditional SS hubs (e.g. Phil, Paul, and especially Surlys)...this also limits chainring clearance, especially on a frame that was specifically designed for 2.5+ tires and mud clearance.

A 113mm BB with a more standard MTB crank (such as a Race Face Turbine) would most likely be perfect on the same frame. Others with more traditional chainstay configurations have also had to put wider spindles on when running ENO cranks. I had a plenty low Q factor running some old Mavic 637 cranks and a 122.5 spindle in Indie #1.

Back to work....working on stuff for Brownbike and 03bart on these boards!

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice ride!

LakeRaven,
    Thanks for the detail shots on your UTE! It looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by flexiflyer
    Back to work....working on stuff for Brownbike and 03bart on these boards!
    Giddyup!

Account Retired

Service after the sale

I don't tell people what they want. I offer what I offer. There is a difference.

MC
    One of the most important intangables of any product is service after the sale. The last time money exchanged hands between Matt and I was back in the year 2000 and yet he has worked extensively on the repair and replacement of my Ute. I emailed Matt on a Sunday night after I discovered a crack in the old Ute. He called me, at home, just 15 minutes later and reassured me that he would take care of me. Matt could have just repaired my old ute, but he chose to build me an completely new bike, because Matt, flat out, ROCKS!
    Chesters are full of intangable goodies........balance, compliance and climbing nimbleness are a few that come to mind as I recollect what riding my old ute was like. A lot of frame makers offer disc tabs, I wonder how many go so far to make an old customer so delighted or grace their product with the magic of a Chester. I hope many of them do, as I hope that the hair will stand up on the back of my neck at the top of the biggest log pile on my home trail tonight when (without thinking) I defy gravity and my own skill deficiencies as I glide over the obstacle that has vexed me since I lost my 'cat in the hat' ute, a few months ago. I loved that bike and I'm pretty sure that a new love affair will blossom later on this evening.

Wish me Luck,

GL

JAK
    mtbr member

yo FlexiFlyer

Yeah, I forgot to add that the 'Q' was manufacturer dependant....

Robert is moving to Logan Utah soon, have you talked to him lately? Oh well, no P-Stone rendezvous with the JuanSpeedFixerer
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Out spokin'

Good luck

Good luck.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Lakeraven said...
    "Chesters are full of intangable goodies........balance, compliance and climbing nimbleness are a few that come to mind as I recollect what riding my old ute was like."

That's what I love about my fellow singlespeeders. Look at the chainstays and seat angle on your average Ute - we're talkin' looooong and laid back - not something usually attributed to the phrase "climbing nimbleness". Good to see that some myths can be busted along the way.

I like the fact that Matt is a popular guy too - it gives hope for us fellow 'little guys' in that if we stick to what we believe in, don't simply follow fashion like good little clones, and give great customer service - that there are people out there that can identify with that and will support us.

Kudos to you guys that support the smaller custom builder.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member

How about 110mm?

I'm set to replace the BB on my Ute (with Turbines) but am going to try a 110mm spindle rather than the 113mm I was using. With the 113mm I had to place the chainring on the inside of the arms (perfect with a bashguard but I ditched that) and adjust the BB cups a bit to the non-drive side to get a good chainline with a track cog. Hopefully the 113mm will afford outward placement and keep the cranks away from the chainstays! This may backfire though...

mtbr member
    I got my Ute earlier this month and built it with Turbines, RaceFace 110mm BB and Paul hub. The chainring had to be mounted on the outside position in order for the stays to accomodate the big rings I normally run here in the flatlands. The biggest ring you can muster inboard would be a 38, unless you keep the longer BB (113mm). The other worry I had was the minimal crank arm to chainstay clearance - maybe 3 - 5mm, without the arms flexing. My advice? Stay with the 113mm BB.

I like Squishy Bikes

New question here. So why no discs?

MC
    Just curious, I love my Avid Mechs.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

DAS
    mtbr member

Another MC

I recently added a web page devoted to my Chester, FYI.

DAS Chester

Account Retired

The Morning After

Trail conditions were less than prime. I never got to the sections of trail that, undoubtedly, were under water and contain the technical features I hoped to test the new bike on. I did get a nice two hour ride in and am pleased as punch.

Here's a photo, where the new bike is wearing a propper coating of stinky Deer Grove Muck.
    Attached Images Attached Images