mtbr member

Sometimes, Just Ride!

I almost posted this in the "Passion" Forum but I thought the SS'ers would appreciate it more.

Yesterday I finally got to the trail after racing out of the house to escape the kids and meet up with some guys. I get there and I literally have a message from each of them giving all sorts of excuses and they are not coming. Things got even more interesting when I discover I didn't have my Camelbak which meant no tools, tubes, Garmin 800, elbow pads, upper body gear, water, snacks, first aid kit, etc. I almost left but then I thought, Heck, I used to ride all over as a kid with none of that crap!

So I threw the phone back in the truck, hopped on and I rode about 12 miles at no particular pace, on flats, no gears, no suspension, no body protection, no electronic gizmos telling me to go faster, nothing. Actually looked around and saw some stuff along the trail I have never noticed before because I was always pinning it trying to improve my time/pace/etc.

Just me and the quiet clickety clickety of the SS hub. Nice! I need to do that a LOT more often. Sometimes the goal should be to just @#$%ing ride.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ride by myself alot and love it. I have two young kids so i sneak out of the house. I am usually the first one on trail and just love the peace and quiet. I almost ran over a turkey the other day. thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Two hours every Sunday. Just me and ss silence. Bliss.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Nice. Sometimes its good to remember why you are on the bike in the first place.

This fall, for example, I was so busy training for cyclocross, that I diddnt even notice that the leaves around me were changing colors.

I think this is a very important issue with most of us and the rest of our lives in today's world. I know that I, personally, am so busy with my life, that I dont stop to "notice the leaves" so to speak.

Just gettin philosophical in the SS forum. No big deal...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I love to ride solo, no music, no distractions, just me and the trail. I let my mind wander and it's very relaxing and oddly efficient, whatever problem I've had during the day/week gets figured out during my ride, it's great.

Another great thing is to once in a while declare a training as "sightseeing". Even before you get on the bike, you decide that todays ride isn't going to be about speed or effort, it's about goofing around at whatever pace you feel like, smell the flowers and all that. Strangely enough I tend to ride faster that way, I don't try to be fast but I got that "Hey, it's okay to take a break or turn around and go home in the middle of it all" and apparently my legs like not having to make any promises and pedal harder than usual..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Really love my singlespeed for this reason. It brings me back to the days when i was a kid riding for hours on my bmx bike all over the tucson desert. I feel more connected with nature and just riding alone takes pressure away.

mtbr member

I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Another great thing is to once in a while declare a training as "sightseeing". Even before you get on the bike, you decide that todays ride isn't going to be about speed or effort, it's about goofing around at whatever pace you feel like, smell the flowers and all that.
    I ride alone about 90% of the time for all the reasons you guys mention. However, I think I've taken the whole (Ride with a purpose) thing too far. I always give myself a fitness or skills goal when on the bike and sometimes need to make my "purpose" be to ONLY have fun!
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Really inspirational, thanks guys!

Teen Wolf
    what kind of terrain are you riding on where you need some much protection? You're on a a9c? wowzers... Anyway, glad you got out there and just rode. Soloing is a different animal and can be very enjoyable. I ride alone most of the time, however, trail riding is usually done with a partner when possible.

Beer is my spirit animal
    That's awesome, 2Few! I ride solo 95% of the time, and even then I only ever ride with my dad, and it's kind of like riding alone because I'm spending the whole ride trying to keep up with him.

There's something amazing about the way one can zone out while riding and still maintain balance and awareness of obstacles, and the sweet silence of a singlespeed just makes that state all the more satisfying. I don't think I'll ever put a computer on a bike. I use mapymyride but that's a total mileage thing for me.

Thanks for posting.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member

Not very technical terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    what kind of terrain are you riding on where you need so much protection?
    It's really not as much a terrain thing as a tree thing. This particular trail has some sections of really tight curvy singletrack that is a blast to just pin it through. There are a number of sections through groves of trees with polished singletrack that I just cannot help myself to go as fast as I can through them like a slalom course. The A9C is the perfect machine for this since it tracks like a laser!

Last summer I lost my line in some chatter on an off camber turn and hit a tree fairly solid, smashing my fingers and tagging my upper arm. It was kind of funny because walnuts fell on me for about 30 seconds from the impact / vibrations of the tree and while assessing the damage about 10 squirrels showed up to collect the bounty! No real damage but I had a deep bruise / contusion on my tricep for several months that hurt like a mother for several weeks. I have grazed a few of them since then with the elbow / upper arm protection with no issue. That little incident got me thinking about how ugly a tree impact could be and since I have to go to work on Monday I figured a little protection might not be a bad thing.

When riding I usually wear heavy Fox Bomber gloves with knuckle protection, Fox Launch elbow guards and if the weather isn't too hot (Under 90), a Troy Lee Designs 7850 shirt for the shoulder / sternum / rib / spine protection in case I bite it. I also wear Fox Launch liner shorts with the padding on the hips, thighs, and tailbone. Luckily, I've only needed this stuff a few times and at low speed. The TLD Shirt is super mobile and I haven't found that it slows me down any except when its hot out and I cannot get cool. BTW, I also wear a POC Trabec Race for the cranium and it rocks.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member

I love the Garmin 800.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnyspinspin View Post
    I don't think I'll ever put a computer on a bike. I use mapymyride but that's a total mileage thing for me.
    I have the Garmin 800 and my favorite feature is the cusom maps. I can drop a map into google earth and export it to the Garmin. I have all the trails in the area on there and it comes in handy to remember where all the loops, connectors, and things are. Don't use it all the time but when I need it its fantastic.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FewDaysOnTrail View Post
    I have the Garmin 800 and my favorite feature is the cusom maps. I can drop a map into google earth and export it to the Garmin. I have all the trails in the area on there and it comes in handy to remember where all the loops, connectors, and things are. Don't use it all the time but when I need it its fantastic.
    That would be nice to have available, for sure. There are trail systems here in Santa Fe I still get lost riding in.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

high plains drifter

Amen brother

Just like when we were kids.who says we need all that STUFF.
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

Members who have read this thread: 0