bicyclist

some not-quite SS questions...

firstly, i want to do a little switchness between my ss and my 27sp, and eventually ending up with a dual-ss and a 1x9. I'm going to switch the cranksets/BBs, put the sq-taper White Ind stuff on the gearie, and the Bonty ISIS setup on the ss, so that i'll have a ride-to-the-trail gear (34:15) and a ride-on-the-trail gear (32:17) with the same chain length and good chain line. I'm assuming there won't be any issues with this setup, but i'd appreciate some feedback. As for the gearie, she is going to lose the big and little rings (it seems to be morphing into a ss!) and just run the 34t in front. i also assume that there is no problem with doing this, and i've been staying in 2nd for about a couple weeks to make sure i really don't want the extra gearing. have people who have done that had any issues? (i really hope this nice chart works...)

Now:-------------------------------Planned:
    Soul Hardline
    White Ind cranks---------------Bonty Select 175mm
    Blackspire Neo Pro 34t------BS Mono Veloce 32
    spacers----------------------------BS Mono Veloce 34
    sq-taper bb-----------------------ISIS bb
    15t cog (on cassette hub)--15t and 17t

Trek 6700
    Bonty Select cranks---------White Ind 175mm
    44/32/22---------------------------BS Neo Pro 34t
    ISIS bb-----------------------------sq-taper
    SRAM 34-11t casette--------same

secondly, one of the things holding me back has been my inability to get the non-drive bolt off on the bonty cranks (ISIS). is there a cure to this? i bought the bike second-hand from a shop wrench (who i though wouldn't have over-tightened the bolts) and haven't wanted to take the cranks off until now...

thirdly, front v-brake squeal is driving me nuts. they are LX brakes, and squeal even whe the pads and rims are clean and dry. what can i do about that?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    firstly, i want to do a little switchness between my ss and my 27sp, and eventually ending up with a dual-ss and a 1x9. I'm going to switch the cranksets/BBs, put the sq-taper White Ind stuff on the gearie, and the Bonty ISIS setup on the ss, so that i'll have a ride-to-the-trail gear (34:15) and a ride-on-the-trail gear (32:17) with the same chain length and good chain line. I'm assuming there won't be any issues with this setup, but i'd appreciate some feedback. As for the gearie, she is going to lose the big and little rings (it seems to be morphing into a ss!) and just run the 34t in front. i also assume that there is no problem with doing this, and i've been staying in 2nd for about a couple weeks to make sure i really don't want the extra gearing. have people who have done that had any issues? (i really hope this nice chart works...)

Now:-------------------------------Planned:
    Soul Hardline
    White Ind cranks---------------Bonty Select 175mm
    Blackspire Neo Pro 34t------BS Mono Veloce 32
    spacers----------------------------BS Mono Veloce 34
    sq-taper bb-----------------------ISIS bb
    15t cog (on cassette hub)--15t and 17t

Trek 6700
    Bonty Select cranks---------White Ind 175mm
    44/32/22---------------------------BS Neo Pro 34t
    ISIS bb-----------------------------sq-taper
    SRAM 34-11t casette--------same

secondly, one of the things holding me back has been my inability to get the non-drive bolt off on the bonty cranks (ISIS). is there a cure to this? i bought the bike second-hand from a shop wrench (who i though wouldn't have over-tightened the bolts) and haven't wanted to take the cranks off until now...

thirdly, front v-brake squeal is driving me nuts. they are LX brakes, and squeal even whe the pads and rims are clean and dry. what can i do about that?

To answer your first question, I converted my Fisher to a 1x8 for time. The only problem I encountered was occasionally over rough terrain, lots of rocks and roots, the chain would derail to the inside of the crank. It was unable to derail to the outside because of the bash guard. To correct this problem I purchased an N-Gear Jump Stop and the chain never derailed again. They can be purchased here:

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

I have no insight into your second question but to your third, I experienced the same thing. I cleaned the rim, I cleaned the brakes, I gently filed the brakes with a nail file to get a new surface, I purchased new brake pads (Kool Stop) and I played with the placement of the spacer hardware but nothing stopped my front LX from squealing. I should mention it is mounted to a RockShox SID, not exactly the stiffest of forks out there. The thing that finally stopped it from squealing was a Salsa Arc de Tri-ooomph brake booster. Two years and not a peep from the front brake.
    "Hesh wants poppers!"

mtbr member
    34x15 and 32x17 are close but not the same in chain tension, if you have a tensioner no problem, with an EBB you'll have to adjust it. (Don't know what Hardline uses).

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    34x15 and 32x17 are close but not the same in chain tension, if you have a tensioner no problem, with an EBB you'll have to adjust it. (Don't know what Hardline uses).
    how are they not the same? the tooth total is 49 in both cases...
    it has track dropouts with BMX tensioners
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits