Some drivetrain help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Some drivetrain help

I've just recently had to replace a couple of things on my drivetrain and since upgrading I'm now finding that under power the chain sounds like it's grinding from the rear cog. But, on the bike stand everything is smooth. I've tiewrapped the tensioner up thinking that it was the pulley creating the sound and I'm fairly certain it's not the freewheel.
    My next step is to put another chain on but, thought I'd seek the advise of MTBR

Here is what my drivetrain consists of.

Hope Pro II hub - newer (less than 6 months)
    CK stainless steel 18t cog (not worn, fairly new)
    Kool singlespeed chain 1/8" - new (This thing almost looks like a motorcycle chain)
    Truvativ Stylo with new 32t chainring.
    Performance chain tensioner

mtbr member
    My guess would be the chain. Are you using a 3/32" cog and ring? If so the 1/8" chain will be noisy. I have used that same tensioner and found it to be loud with 3/32" and louder with 1/8".

Check your chainline and tensioner adjustment first. If it's still grinding maybe try a 3/32" chain. Keeping everything the same pitch will keep it all quieter.

one chain loop
    if everything is new except the chain, probably a worn stretched out chain that is making the noise. check the chainline too.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0