Soma ss! Don't hold your breath.- Mtbr.com
    a legend in his own mind

Soma ss! Don't hold your breath.

The new Soma 4one5 singlespeed is still on hold. Apparently Soma and the distributor have not finalized a wholesale price or a msrp. Msrp will probably be around $450 instead of $360. This price is just a guess on my part. At this time no frames have been produced.
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

Birdman aka JMJ

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpedaler.com
    The new Soma 4one5 singlespeed is still on hold. Apparently Soma and the distributor have not finalized a wholesale price or a msrp. Msrp will probably be around $450 instead of $360. This price is just a guess on my part. At this time no frames have been produced.
    My wife and I have Soma Groove hardtails and love them. I was hoping that Soma wouldstart making the SS frames so that I could build her one.

sigh - JMJ

a legend in his own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    My wife and I have Soma Groove hardtails and love them. I was hoping that Soma wouldstart making the SS frames so that I could build her one.

sigh - JMJ
    I know I'm bummed too. I have all the parts and was waiting on the 4one5 frame. I actually don't need another bike but they're such a great deal I just had to have one.

Don't the Grooves handle and ride nice? I had a IRD Tempest which is the Groove in 853 (Soma makes IRD's frames) and the thing just rocked.

Soma used to make the old Breezer frames. One of my favorite all time bikes was my Breezer Lightening.

Birdman aka JMJ

Yipper

I know I'm bummed too. I have all the parts and was waiting on the 4one5 frame. I actually don't need another bike but they're such a great deal I just had to have one.

Don't the Grooves handle and ride nice? I had a IRD Tempest which is the Groove in 853 (Soma makes IRD's frames) and the thing just rocked.

Soma used to make the old Breezer frames. One of my favorite all time bikes was my Breezer Lightening.
    Yup, love those Groove frames. I knew they used to make Breezers, but didn't know that Soma makes IRD's frames. Funny - our Groove frames have brake housing guides, not cable stops. I machined some stainless steel flanged housing-ends for our 2 bikes, and posted on MTBR about it. I ended up making some for other 2 guys who bought IRD frames and had the same problem. Guess that's why, huh.

My wife and I are super happy with our Soma Grooves, and are glad to see the company getting more and more business.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The winner of the Women's Single Speed category in the Oregon XC Series is supposed to win a Soma SS frame. My wife clinched the overall last weekend, so I hope they are available soon.

a legend in his own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Yup, love those Groove frames. I knew they used to make Breezers, but didn't know that Soma makes IRD's frames. Funny - our Groove frames have brake housing guides, not cable stops. I machined some stainless steel flanged housing-ends for our 2 bikes, and posted on MTBR about it. I ended up making some for other 2 guys who bought IRD frames and had the same problem. Guess that's why, huh.

My wife and I are super happy with our Soma Grooves, and are glad to see the company getting more and more business.

JMJ

Yep, had the same thing on the Breezers. But the Breezers came with little brass housing stops.

a legend in his own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelerHealer
    The winner of the Women's Single Speed category in the Oregon XC Series is supposed to win a Soma SS frame. My wife clinched the overall last weekend, so I hope they are available soon.
    It's mainly a price thing. As soon as it's cleared up I'm sure they will start rolling them out. Could be a couple more months. At this point no one knows. Soma makes lots of frames. Mtn., road, track, cross. I'm sure Soma will do something for you, pretty cool company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Housing stops?

So the IRD's and Soma's don't come with the brass housing stops? What do they use instead? Joe Breeze sent me a couple a year ago for my converted Storm SS but he was about out of them. When the Soma SS does come out, it should be a nice ride.

Yep, had the same thing on the Breezers. But the Breezers came with little brass housing stops.

Birdman aka JMJ

Housing stops

Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    So the IRD's and Soma's don't come with the brass housing stops? What do they use instead? Joe Breeze sent me a couple a year ago for my converted Storm SS but he was about out of them. When the Soma SS does come out, it should be a nice ride.
    Our Groove frames came with housing stops, but they were kinda long. I'm pretty handy on the lathe, so I just made stainless steel stops myself. Mine were just a tad longer than a normal housing ferrule, with a flange to engage the housing guide.

Sorry, no pix.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

1x1's in general

YES, we too are still waiting for Merry Sales to let the Soma 1x1 out onto the market, last we chatted with them, they said July-ish... We have been dealing with Merry Sales for several years and when they quote a time frame, it's never true, it's always longer.

Myself, I've been riding the RUSH for about 6 months now, L O V E it!!!! It's a sweet frame. One slight flaw though, the headtube could stand a slight face (the King headset cap doesn't quite sit straight on the top bearing set). no big deal but, I'm too busy to fix it.

Another frame I just bought for myself: On One's Inbred (made by Planet X), it's really light, sorta ugly (which I like) and they got it set up I guess in the English way (the cable routing for the rear brake is on the right side-ish / slightly off center-top tube.

Since I run my brakes the SMART way (front-right) (left rear), it doesn't really bother me. I guess I'll buy one of those Avid brakes where you can flip-flop the noodle.

Anyway, the frame is this DN6? never heard of it... It's light, guessing it's along the line of 535 Reynolds. With a Fox 125mm fork, and mixed bag of goodies, I got that whole bike hitting 24.6lbs, not bad.

Moving on, I read some of the other 1x1 posts, IRD and Soma come out of the same factory? who says? I know they are both sold through Merry Sales but I don't think they come from the same builders.

IRD's by the way, are indeed very much like the Breezer, they even use the punk'd out D Fusion design on the bottom & top tube. I still doubt that is actually a good design but so far, all the Breezer and IRD's we have sold, none have folded in that area (go figure).

Closing up: ya'll need to help us out at Pedalshop.com. We need ya to fight the power, Dominion Power that is, the baztards there want to clear cut our trail so they can put power lines that will lead to another town outside our area. see www.wodfriends.com and do what they ask you to do... FIGHT 'EM ANY WAY YOU CAN!!!