Soma Juice Frame Creak- Mtbr.com
    President of the Internet

Soma Juice Frame Creak

I've been chasing a creak on my Some Juice for a few months. I'm no newbie to chasing creaks and clicks, but this one has me stumped. I have tighten and greased every piece possible. Finally I had the rear wheel out and was able to replicate the creak by putting a hand on each seat stay an twisting or pushing them side to side. So, this leads me to believe its in the frame itself. I inspected all the welds and can't seem to find a crack. Any ideas?
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Creaks suck. I've chased a few in my day and they can be like ghosts.

Based on what you've stated, it does sound like the frame. The stays will flex at the weakest pivot point so I would check the junction of the stays to the BB as well as the seat tube and the junctions at the dropouts. It's probably really small at the moment and masked by paint.

Ask a friend to help and let them flex it while you watch. You could also use an automotive stethoscope and slowly move it closer and closer. The cheap Harbor Freight one should work.

I've never tried this but you could spray fluid in the BB, flex it while holding it inverted and look for it to seep out.

That's about all I have for suggestions. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

WillWorkForTrail
    Two things - how was your frame secured while you were twisting on the seat stays? There's a chance that could have been creaking, or that the point you had it secured could help locate where you might want to be looking for a problem. The other thing is - the seat post itself. Any chance the post is having some interaction with the seat tube that's causing the noise?

Honestly, every time my Juice has made noise it's either been the cranks, the BB or the chain ring. I've never had the sliders made noise.

mtbr member
    All of my bikes have creaks at some point throughout the year and I spend way too much chasing them down. And they're often all caused by something different. It sounds like you're on the right track since you can replicate it. I'd start pulling parts off the frame incrementally and find out when the creak stops.

Also, I think Cotharyus has a good suggestion of focusing on the seat post. Last year it took me good 2 months to track down a long 400mm seat post rubbing against the lower seat tube when the frame would flex. Some grease down the tube solved that one.

And on a different bike I had a snapping creak sound at the seat post clamp area. I'd grease it and it'd come back in 50 miles. My frustration got the best of me and I finally swapped out my trusty Thomson seat post for a carbon one to solve the problem.

I also have sliders make some creaking noises so it's my normal routine to give them a light coat of grease every time I do a thorough cleaning of the bike. A noisy bike drives me mad, especially during long 24 hour solo or 100 mile race, so a couple times a season I tear down the bike and re-grease most metal-on-metal contact points.

I'm sure you'll track it down--it's often the least likely thing you'd consider.

mtbr member
    Last time I had one like this it was solved when I threw a bit of grease on the threads of the TA as there was some light rust from the frame visible which b chance lubed the axle internal to the hub. Spent almost an entire day swapping chains, chainrings & cogs, re-installing BB and EBB to no avail. I've seen others on mtbr report the same thing.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Check your spokes.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pull the seat post and see if it still creaks. Then maybe the sliders (though they are recently greased).

mtbr member
    Good luck and please report back. I'm always curious to find out the source of random noises to help diagnose things in the future.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pull the seat post and see if it still creaks. Then maybe the sliders (though they are recently greased).
    Subscribed. As I am looking into building up a Juice frame myself.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2015
    check the seat post for any burs and maybe get it reamed out (soma has no frame quality control so it can be rough down there)or check the rear dropouts closely since they break really easily with the juice.

Well, I'm 90% sure I found the source. You guys were right about the seat post. I pulled the post and put the bike in the stand and tried to twist the seat stays and got no creaking. Put the post back in and got the creak.

My seat tube had a bit of rust in there so I brushed it out as best I could and cleaned it with Isopro alcohol and applied a bit of grease. No more creak! At least from spinning around on my street. We'll see when I hit the trail this week.

Thanks dudes!