Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Smile Solo SS 24hr race recap

This weekend I participated in the first 24 hour race in Puerto Rico. The course was a XC type loop with several climbs and drops. The classes were Solo, Duo, 5-Man and after some negotiating Solo Single Speed. For the first 3 positions of the regular classes had price money and trophies for the first 5 positions, for Single Speed we only got trophies.

I thought that me and my riding buddy will be the only ones on single speeds but 2 other guys that race the normal XC schedule in the Intermediate class (we don't race) showed up on Kona and Bianchi single speeds, my buddy rode his converted Fuji and I rode my Kona.

During the first lap I hit a rock and had chain failure. The power link disappeared (first time in years using SRAM chains) and had to cut the chain and re-adjust the dropouts on the Unit and thats when all my problems started. I had to re-adjust the dropouts and seems that the brake pads were touching the disk (I didn't noticed), after tightening the bolts I resumed racing, that ordeal cost me a lap.

The bike felt slow and heavy and took most of my energy in the first few laps. My plan was to do 1hr race and 1hr rest but I was so tired so early that had a hard time recovering. I kept pushing myself and was able to ride until nightfall.

When I was installing the lights I noticed that the rear wheel barely rotated when pushed and thats when I realized that the pads were dragging on the rotor. I quickly adjusted the pads and started to ride the night. To add insult to injury during one of the late night laps I had a total light failure, my lights went off without warning and left me with my secondary light only on a difficult and slippery section. The problem was caused by a blown fuse and was repaired back in the pits.

I rode until 2:30am and decided to get some sleep which was pretty difficult, every part of my body ached and the lights and noise kept waking me up. I finally decided to get into the back of my Explorer and was able to rest until 5:30am when the cold woke me up.

I resumed riding at about 6:30am and started to do 2 laps and 1hr rest for the early morning. I was able to get my lap back and go 2 laps ahead of the 4th place guy (my ridding buddy). He tried to make up the laps but was only able to gain 1 back because he was also exhausted. Also had a flat while at the pits, I was getting ready for the last lap and all of the sudden I hear the hisss from a tire loosing air, my front had a huge hole and the slime couldn't hold the air anymore. Lucky for me this time I was on the pits and was able to quickly replace the tire and resume last lap preparations.

After everything was set and done the Solo SS class winner did 26 laps, 2nd place did 17, 3rd 15 and 4th 14. The guy that won was on the Bianchi and left all of us wondering how he did it, we now call him "The Freak". I finished 3rd and am pretty happy with the result even though I know that I could have done better but that's racing.

15 laps may not sound like much but for a weekend warrior like me is plenty of suffering and specially pain in the but and legs, a day after and I'm still on pain.

Will I do it again? Probably not but really enjoyed the experience and the support from the other riders.

I also would like to thank my wife and parents for their support and help during this race, love you guys!
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 10-18-2004 at 03:31 AM.

Some pics

Campsite

Ready for the start

Start

Jay on his Fuji

Me on my Unit

Back for the attack

The Finish

Awards Ceremony

From L to R, Jay Chevako (4th), Eduardo Carlo (2nd), Me (3rd), Jose "The Freak" Texidor (1st) amd my son helping out on the back.

Really I am that slow

Good Race!

Nice job!

How long were the laps?

Would love to go riding down there looks like a blast.

Keep the rubber side down!

Can't exactly say how long but it was around 8kms. The course wasn't that long but the climbs and technical sections made it difficult and physically challenging.

The organizers said that they'll do the race next year, we'll see.

For info check the local mtb sites like www.puertoricoxtreme.com, www.ciclismopr.com and www.cmtbpr.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice

Nice result Victor. Glad to see the Unit is working out great for you.

Take Care,

James
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

34N 118W

Good job!

good job! (nm)

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Woah! Those trophies are huuuge! Congrats.

I'm sure you'll be back for more punishment. I can't help but analyse past efforts and figure out how I can learn from them and do better. The first one is a huge learning experience.
    Wibble

mtbr member

Good job! Swag & awards

Great job. A 24 hour race on a singlespeed is really a great accomplishment. Heck, you can't drop down into a lower gear when the fatigue really starts to set in after 5 or 6 laps.

I know of a promoters that don't give the 'really nice' awards out to ALL the classes. It is based on the SIZE of the class. i.e. 1st place men got great bike lights where the 1st place women got a backpack. However, those look like some really nice trophies you received.

Congrats again.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Trophy closeup

Here's the trophy

This is the first trophy that I get in a very long time, I was so happy that even took it to bed with me like my son did when he won his first.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Nice result Victor. Glad to see the Unit is working out great for you.

Take Care,

James
    Can't thank you enough for hooking me with the frame, I really love it.

Medium?

Nice job!

Nice job!