mtbr member

soliciting recommendations for new SS Niner One 9 build

Been singlespeed racing for a few years now, on a couple of Trek 69er (the brown ones w/Maverick Duc32 fork) and am looking to move to full 29er and trim a little weight in the process. My current rigs run ~22.5 - 23.5 lbs depending on tires and wheels mostly. I'm planning to scavenge some parts from one of my 2 race bikes, but am completely undecided on a few things.

Here's what I have that I *may* scavenge:

Salse Pro Moto flat bar

Bontrager Race X Lite seatpost and Ritchey WCS saddle

King Headset (actually have a few and most likely will just reuse one)

ENO cranks (but have a shitty UN-54 BB that needs upgrade, probably to Phil Wodd Ti)

King Hubs (currently laced to Flows, but I've dropped 30+ lbs since I got them and want something lighter, but stiff) Will need to be re-worked no matter which fork I choose.

Hope XC Race brakes (like 'em a lot, but will consider R1s as an upgrade)

I'm most likely getting either a One9 frame used, or possibly Air 9 Carbon new. I'm really torn on which direction to go in regards to the fork. I'm considering the Niner carbon fork, but not sure if I can live with numerous rock gardens here in Central TX without some front squish. My other leading option is a Lefty fork for both weight savings, and supposed extra stiffness over the Duc 32 I'm used to riding. I really don't want another 4lb fork, but stiffness is of paramount importance. Plushness/weight are about equal or negating requirements as they are opposing traits.

I have saved up enough $$$ for ENVE wheels, either with my own King hubs, or some DT240s (but I'm more concerned with rim weight than hub weight if it saves me $500 or so), but now having second thoughts, especially if I drop the coin for a 29er Lefty fork.

I'm ~155-160 lbs. Main bike purpose will be for racing, second is daily riding. My riding style is generally fast/smooth, not really any big drops, but I do like to hammer over rocks and roots without worry of component failure or wheel flex. Flex is the absolute bane of my existence. I don't mind sacrificing a *little* weight to eliminate as much flex as possible.

Any strong opinions of Lefty 29er or rigid Niner carbon fork? I'm only hesitant about the Lefty due to another fork-specific hub to worry about, oh and uh, the price vs Niner carbon fork.

Any strong opinions on ENVE wheels considering weight/strength vs. any of the Stan's rims?

Thanks for your opinions.

nothing to see here
    I think the build is heading in the right direction. Enve rims will be uber stiff. Is the Salsa bar carbon? Keep your brakes if you're happy with them. Go the Niner Carbon fork and learn to live with it, you'll appreciate it on the climbs.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Yep, bars are carbon and I have zero complaints with them. They're light and have held up very well to solid use. My only complaint with the brakes is no pad contact adjustment - have to be bled to reduce amount of lever travel as the pads wear down. But they're light and brake well enough with good modulation, so I can live without R1s.

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by direneed; 01-15-2011 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i dont have the niner fork and i dont race but for what its worth i ride a rigid fork in central texas and have come to like it alot, but again i dont race so i might feel differently if i had to go a little faster through the same rocks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    you cant go wrong with the dt swiss or CK hubs. If you're lacing up new hoops, i'd probably just use what you have for hubs.
    I'd definitely go with the carbon frame, and personally i'd go with the susp fork (however, not a lefty, i don't like "different" things, it just seems like a solution looking for a problem).
    I do ride both a carbon rigid and a 100mm susp fork, and the susp is definitely faster around here (rocky Southern California). If it'll be a race rig, go susp, IMHO.

Just my thoughts.

You know my steez...
    I second the Air 9 Carbon frame. It just LOOKS fast and I've seen one on these fourms built up to under 14 pounds. (You've probably seen it...)

Forget about the Lefty and buy a Niner carbon fork AND a nice Fox, Manitou or Rock Shock for the same price as the Lefty by itself. Then you can switch out forks as you see fit.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Oh, believe me, I do plan to get an Air 9 Carbon, but am thinking it makes sense to snag a used One 9 for a few hundred first, build it out, then snag the Carbon frame (probably within 4-6 months) and swap parts then. It just makes it much easier to afford the ENVE wheels right now if I get a used One 9 frame first.

Regarding forks, I've just really disliked the amount of flex in the Fox, Reba, and Duc 32 I've owned so far. The Lefty has gotten a lot of press for being much stiffer, which catches my eye. I'm about 90% sure I'll go the Niner carbon fork route first for the same reasons I'm going One 9 before Air 9 Carbon. But I could swing the coin for the Lefty now...

You know my steez...
    I get it. I like your plan. Enve wheels are awesome BTW

You must ride way harder than I do. I never feel my Fox fork flex.
    Then again, I'm a trail rider, not a racer...
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Members who have read this thread: 0