Solely SingleSpeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Solely SingleSpeed?

Hi guys

I'm having issues again! I have been riding SS for over 5 years now, i started as i was so sick of my gears needing constant attention often to the detriment of enjoying a ride. I currently have my brand new Orange P7 setup as a SS which replaced my Soul Cycles Hooligan.

However, Soul are sending me a new Dillinger 29r and rigid fork as a warranty replacement for my Hooligan as I over tightened the grub screw on its EBB. This leaves me with a quandary, I'm thinking about running gears (XT 2x10)) on my P7 as a lot of the longer Moor rides that we do over in the UK certainly can take their tole on a SSer and as none of my friends ride SS I'm thinking the P7 being my most comfortable bike and the one I'm more likely to choose for the long haul stuff it's the one i should go back to the dark side on.

I'm just wondering though, do you guys run gears on any of your bikes? I feel like I'm selling out and I'm not sure I'll even enjoy it if I do?!!

Wow I wish it wasn't snowing anymore as instead of sweating over what i spend my money on next I'd be out actually riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ride what makes you happy. As much as I'd love to ride a rigid SS everywhere, it just doesn't make sense. Not for me, at least. That's why I keep more than one bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtemple
    Ride what makes you happy. As much as I'd love to ride a rigid SS everywhere, it just doesn't make sense. Not for me, at least. That's why I keep more than one bike.
    This is what I Mean though, I'm not sure gears will make me happy when all i will want is the fun of always being in the right gear (because you only have one!).

Saying that, I only recently started entertaining suspension forks again and I love them on my P7, maybe I'll feel the same yet I'll still relish the chance to get on my SS and rigid 29r?! Who knows?!

Apr 2007
    Nothing wrong with gears. I bought a geared roadie and beater bike a few months ago to compliment my SS bikes. Next season, I'd like to add a geared FS (still not sure if I want 26 or 29). I'd never consider myself a sell out because I went with gears or added suspension. I've got major hobby ADD so it takes me quite a bit to keep my going, which means changing it up every now and then. I'm actually surprised I've stuck with cycling for this long!

My main goal is to get as many different bikes as possible. So get whatever you like and keep it in the garage and ride it every now and then.

Spice of life comes in many flavors!

mtbr member
    I know how you feel if I'm honest!

I'm also thinking about fixing and using the new Niner EBB on my Hooligan and making that a 650b commuter/hybrid type bike, with higher gearing, but that's a whole other story and one that'll probably happen after a full suspension purchase knowing me! Too many bikes! Arrgh!

mtbr member
    My only suggestion is to do what you want. Try out the gears, if you like them, keep them on the bike. That way you'll have a more diverse selection of bikes at your disposal. But if SS is truly what you want, and you don't like the gears then take them off and you'll have 2 SS's to choose from. I've got 3 different single speeds right now and I couldn't be happier. I've tried gears and it's just not for me...but that's me and not you. Just do what you want. There is a saying that goes "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". My version is "It is better to have tried something new and disliked it than to have never tried it at all"

You know my steez...
    I love my SS. All of the positive attributes of single speed riding have proven true BUT...
    I will always have a geared bike and a road bike and I'm looking for a cruiser. I love bikes, not just one kind. Why limit yourself?

It's like guys that say they'll only date ______________ (insert girl type here).
    I've tried to date every type of girl available to man. Now I'm married but I hit all the major "food groups" (black, white, Asian, Latina) before I got locked down.

Life's short, try as much as you can. Stick with what you like AFTER you've given different options a chance.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Sasquatch and Bunn - thanks guys you both made a lot of sense to me, especially the bit about the girls, I'm married now so I'll just go through the bikes, rather than the women!

SSlow rider
    There's nothing wrong with having a geared bike in the stable. I have four bikes right now and only one of them is multi-geared. That bike sees the least amount of use, but it's kept around for those longer rides or just the ones with LOTS of flat sections. I'll probably get rid of the current geared bike in favor of a FS bike at some point. If I have to own a geared rig I might as well have rear suspension too.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    .... I'm married now so I'll just go through the bikes, rather than the women!
    Exactly! Now you're talkin'!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Hi guys

I'm having issues again! I have been riding SS for over 5 years now, i started as i was so sick of my gears needing constant attention often to the detriment of enjoying a ride. I currently have my brand new Orange P7 setup as a SS which replaced my Soul Cycles Hooligan.

However, Soul are sending me a new Dillinger 29r and rigid fork as a warranty replacement for my Hooligan as I over tightened the grub screw on its EBB. This leaves me with a quandary, I'm thinking about running gears (XT 2x10)) on my P7 as a lot of the longer Moor rides that we do over in the UK certainly can take their tole on a SSer and as none of my friends ride SS I'm thinking the P7 being my most comfortable bike and the one I'm more likely to choose for the long haul stuff it's the one i should go back to the dark side on.

I'm just wondering though, do you guys run gears on any of your bikes? I feel like I'm selling out and I'm not sure I'll even enjoy it if I do?!!

Wow I wish it wasn't snowing anymore as instead of sweating over what i spend my money on next I'd be out actually riding my bike!
    My rigid SS will always be my primary ride and the one I get the most enjoyment from, but fact is, there are times when only having one gear can be a disadvantage. You hit the main reason for me wanting to build up another geared bike.....roadtrips with friends. On the local trails, and as long as we are on the trails, SS is no problem. However, I can think of several places where the trail head is not where we setup camp or park our cars. When everyone else is hammering the big ring, and not just for a short distance, you are going to get left behind if all you got is your 34/19.

Most importantly, like several have already posted, do not worry about selling out. That sounds like a hold over from that "being pure" crap that used to show up here all the time. I love SS'ing, but in all honesty, its mainly a mindset. The simplicity just makes me happy. Once set up properly, I really can not remember gears ever being that much trouble.

Dive Bomber
    There was a time when I convert to 1x6 and the chain sometimes get derailed even on small bumps which is annoy me so I am back to SS.

The good thing if you're already get used to SS and going gears is you wouldn't shifting too much unless it's necessary which is you'll ride more efficiently.

Sometimes it's funny when see gears riding, I don't believe that they shift on a little steeper road which is only 20 meters and I think you can do better with stand and hammer a little and yes I really hate to hear the sound of chain when shifting. The sound of chain gonna break on SS when you hammer is cooler.

Out spokin'
    Consider turning the P7 into a fixie? This way you will have a different bike but it will still be only one speed. You won't have to feel like you compromised your principles.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    After going through more bikes than I am embarrassed to publicly confess to, I now currently have two SS (one suspended front, one full rigid), but could see someday building up another 1x9 HT for those longer summer epic rides up in the high country or bike destination trips - just to have that option in the stable.

But for the 95%+ of my usual riding, one of my SS do me just fine.

Got a suspension fork
    I hope this isn't threadjacking, but as a recent convert to the world of rigid SS 29er, I'm wondering what would be a good 1x9 or 1x10 geared bike to have around for days when gears make more sense. Looking for bargain options.

Thanks.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Dive Bomber
    Depend of what purpose is your gears are.

If you're looking for bigger cog it's not about the how many cog you need but how many teeth you'll need.
    If you're looking for cadence go for 1x10 with narrow teeth you won't get 'shock' when you shift.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    I hope this isn't threadjacking, but as a recent convert to the world of rigid SS 29er, I'm wondering what would be a good 1x9 or 1x10 geared bike to have around for days when gears make more sense. Looking for bargain options.

Thanks.
    I never saw the point of 1x9/10 unless you were looking to easily switch back and forth from geared to ss. Otherwise, I'd just stick with a 3x9/10 set up.

Redline used to have a 1x9 (Mono9) but now has a 2x9 (D440) for a decent price.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I never saw the point of 1x9/10 unless you were looking to easily switch back and forth from geared to ss. Otherwise, I'd just stick with a 3x9/10 set up.

Another good reason IMO is that chainsuck sucks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nope, gears are great!
    I can singlespeed just fine, by myself.
    Add cargo or 70 pounds of trailer and child and it stops being a viable option.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I don't need gears for trail riding around here. If all I did was trail ride, I'd really consider owning only a SS. My training rides frequently take me on pavement. I need gears there to get the most out of my ride.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Some trails you just can't do on a SS. I have both and enjoy both, my SS being my primary ride. I did a ride on Monday that a SS would have been me pushing or carrying the bike on the first leg of the climb, so that would have been pointless to bring to that trail. As to your contention of "selling out" I'm not sure who you'd be selling out to? Learn how to adjust your derailluers and then it's no problem. You can never have too many bikes, so why not a geared one?

local trails rider
    I hear many in UK have gone for internal gearing, trying to avoid the vulnerabilities of derailers. Rohloff if they can afford it. Not sure if some frames have compatibility issues?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I've always been a one (two at a push) bike kind of guy but I'm going to go with the flow so I'm ordering my XT group set next week for the P7, building the rigid Dillinger up as a SS then later in the spring I'll build up the Hooligan as a rigid and geared 650b hybrid type thing which I will also be able to run as a 69r if the mood takes me!

Coupled with the wifes 'dale trail SL that's 4/5 different bikes to swing my leg over, ill then decide if I want my FS to be a 29 or 26" wheeler.

Hmm might not have solved my bike expenditure however ill certainly have some fun this coming year!

By the way I have often drooled over rohloff however I think I'd prefer a rohloff specific frame if I was to run it on my bike, although I do have a friend who runs it on his P7. Shimano Alfine 11 is although worth considering, I hear...

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I hear many in UK have gone for internal gearing, trying to avoid the vulnerabilities of derailers. Rohloff if they can afford it. Not sure if some frames have compatibility issues?
    You've got to ask yourself ... Do you really like having just one speed or is it that you hate conventional drivetrains? For me, it's that I dislike floppy, noisy, chainstay slapping, chain dropping, misshifting, crosschaining, chain sucking, derailleur systems. Having gears makes sense but derailleur systems seem rather primative and unsophisticated to me. It seems there should be something better.

I went for an IGH a few years ago. First it was a Rohloff, then an Alfine 8. The Rohloff is a bit of overkill for most applications and seems to have a bit of added friction. The Alfine 8 is pretty good and I expect the new Alfine 11 will be even better. The Alfines are buttery smooth. They feel like riding a SS when set up without a chain tensioner.

Did I catch a niner+?
    My main rig is SS and is ridden the most, my other is a 3x9 rigid go anywhere 700c bike. There is nothing wrong with it especially on those trails that are relatively flat it makes things so much easier.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106
    Some trails you just can't do on a SS.
    Yes we can.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I've been riding my Salsa as a SS for 2 yrs +. Prior i rode a Klein as a SS. I put together a Niner 1x9 for riding in SS unfriendly areas. Now i still ride the SS. The Niner kicks ass, but it doesn't get much action. I'm happy to have it, but prefer the SS. You won't know the answer until you have both. Enjoy the build.

mtbr member
    Thanks Henry I'm looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Well I built my P7 up with the XT 10 speed gears, the perfect shifting, smooth gears of the kind I've never experienced before and I can whole heartedly say that...

I hate gears!

I went to my local woods on Saturday and I can't say I was any faster or rode any further, in fact on most trails I was probably slower. I'm going to try and give them a chance, but at the moment it's stopping my enjoyment of riding more than anything and that sucks!

To top it off the bike now weighs in at almost 28lbs which feels too heavy to me although I'm certainly no weight weenie.

My current thinking is, build the Orange P7 back up with SS and suspension forks, build the new Dillinger up SS and rigid and save the gears for when I inevitably decide on which FS bike to buy, then I hope I will be happy!!

make mine fixed
    The two reasons you give for hating gears are weight and no faster. I thought your main reason for getting gears was to hang with friends through big ring flats?

I've ridden rigid/fixed for 3 years now. Last year, rode a demo ht/geared for a bit. Actually didn't like the suspended fork, even locked out. Felt like riding a wet noodle. Found myself easily adapting to geared suprisingly. Found a sweet cadence range about 10rpm or so faster than normal. Just clicked up or down accordingly to keep it there. Used short climbs to gear up and get out of the saddle occassionally.

Depending on the topography changes, I switched gears every 5-10 seconds to maintain cadence and pedal weight/feel.

If you can enjoy sitting more and constant pedal-speed/weight, you should be able to come around to gears. Maybe a group ride with geared folk will be more enjoyable?
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

mtbr member
    Hi tpmbt, you are right, I need to give gears a chance they deserve and yes being able to hang with the guys through big ring flats and DH is obviously a bonus, so I will see how it goes...

beware the grammar police
    meh... i started riding SS because i wanted to get stronger.....

i continue to ride SS because i don't have to have my bike tuned up monthly..... and i enjoy the peace and quiet while riding
    owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

Dive Bomber
    Since now I already have my perfect SS 32x21 for any climbs and flats,

I am turning my other SS into 1x6 or 1x7 again - I want ride more relaxed sitting enjoying my fat burning zone in high cadence.

I gain 2 pounds lately.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    .. i started riding SS because i wanted to get stronger....
    This & less winter cleaning is why I just started riding SS. I have a geared bike ready for Spring time racing, though I'm not completely committed to switching back. My winter will determine how often I use my geared bike again. I like gears, and get a lot of satisfaction out of tuning and riding a bike that shifts flawlessly. However, I had a few flashbacks to my childhood bmx roamings on my recent first SS rides; there's a peaceful calm that hit me a few times already, and especially on the flats when things are effortless but limited. Hard to explain. I also had the ghost thumb, reaching for a shifter that wasn't there which cracked me up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador
    This & less winter cleaning is why I just started riding SS. I have a geared bike ready for Spring time racing, though I'm not completely committed to switching back. My winter will determine how often I use my geared bike again. I like gears, and get a lot of satisfaction out of tuning and riding a bike that shifts flawlessly. However, I had a few flashbacks to my childhood bmx roamings on my recent first SS rides; there's a peaceful calm that hit me a few times already, and especially on the flats when things are effortless but limited. Hard to explain. I also had the ghost thumb, reaching for a shifter that wasn't there which cracked me up.
    LOL @ The Ghost Thumb! We should ™ that right now!

It's true though The Ghost Thumb™ always comes out when my SS bikes do! I also know exactly what you mean about that peaceful calm that only a SS can bring.

I'm glad my current geared bike can also go back to SS within 10 mins if need be, I've ordered my FS now so that will be the only geared bike in my stable from now on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes the simple calm, bliss!

Makes a nice change from the shouty, sweary madman when he can't shift into the granny ring when he hits a climb!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I found that having a geared bike (1x9) was nice if i wanted to spin with friends instead of pushing myself on climbs. My wife liked me riding the geared bike with her, because I wouldn't fly up the climbs. I could spin closer to her when she started out. That being said...I no longer have any geared bikes that I ride. I just throw on an easier gear when going with slower people. I just didn't have as much fun on them.

mtbr member
    What a great topic. I think about this a lot too. There are days when I reminisce about long, seated climbs in my granny gear. Having the choice of spinning up a hill or grabbing a little tougher gear and mashing a bit. I let my mind wander. I think about getting a nice new 29er, full suspension, with shiny new gears and perfect derailleurs. But those thoughts are fleeting (insert sound of record player needle dragging across a record here). I can’t even let my thoughts go there for a minute. I ride a single speed! I don’t just ride it when I feel like it. Hell, I never feel like it.
    To me having a bike with gears, hanging in the garage next to my SS, would be cheating on my SS. It would be like keeping Miranda Kerr in my wife’s and my spare bedroom. I would just end up riding Miranda Kerr, I mean the bike with gears every day! And that just wouldn’t be fair to my wife...I mean my single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Cheswick
    What a great topic. I think about this a lot too. There are days when I reminisce about long, seated climbs in my granny gear. Having the choice of spinning up a hill or grabbing a little tougher gear and mashing a bit. I let my mind wander. I think about getting a nice new 29er, full suspension, with shiny new gears and perfect derailleurs. But those thoughts are fleeting (insert sound of record player needle dragging across a record here). I can’t even let my thoughts go there for a minute. I ride a single speed! I don’t just ride it when I feel like it. Hell, I never feel like it.
    To me having a bike with gears, hanging in the garage next to my SS, would be cheating on my SS. It would be like keeping Miranda Kerr in my wife’s and my spare bedroom. I would just end up riding Miranda Kerr, I mean the bike with gears every day! And that just wouldn’t be fair to my wife...I mean my single speed.
    Ha ha priceless!

I am now the owner of my Orange P7 SS and now a 29r in the guise of a rigid Soul Dillinger which is just waiting for the wheels, the harem is coming together nicely!

Members who have read this thread: 0