Sold them all to build this...- Mtbr.com
    Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010

Sold them all to build this...

First singlespeed, first rigid, first 29er, first tubeless... sold a nice Cannondale hardtail and a really nice carbon roadbike to build up my dream bike... or at least my realistic dream bike.

Fullsize

I finished it late last Summer and it got very little riding time over the winter due to the huge amount of snow but it's back out and it rides like a dream. Weighs in at 22 lbs at present and I'm happy with that weight. It's the small 16" frame and it fits me great (5'8", 31" inseam, 175 lbs)

My original budget was $2,200 and went $100 over but am happy with what I got. The only other upgrades would probably be a better bottom bracket such as a Phil Wood and possibly a White Industries Eno freewheel (even though the current one is working perfectly fine still which has been a pleasant surprise) but I recommend to others to also start with a cheap freewheel if you decide to go that route so that you can figure out which gear ratio works for your local trails before dropping nearly $100 on a high end freewheel that might not even be what you were expecting. The second point is that I wanted to go with a freewheel as opposed to a freehub because I wanted the bike to be quiet (I'm not so interested in listening to a swarm of bees while I ride) and the result with the Shimano freewheel has been very quiet! I'd say the loudest part of the bike is the darn break cables slapping the stem/handlebar which I'll figure out a solution to one of these days.

My goal was to build a bike that was low maintenance, lightweight, impressive looking, quiet, and fun to ride. I feel like I accomplished my goal very well for what my budget allowed.

I admit that I have a few regrets with this build. First of all, I wish I budgeted for a better bottom bracket. The weird thing is that it seems like I only have two options though: a super cheap Shimano or a super expensive Phil Wood. The second regret is that I should have gone with the lighter weight Stan's Arch rims rather than the Flows as I think I could have gotten away with the lighter Arches wihout issue considering my weight and the relatively rock free (decent amount of roots/logs) trails we have here. The final regret would be that I was a little overeager to build up this bike (which is understandable considering I had no bike to ride as I sold my bikes to finance this project) and as a result, paid too much for a few of the components. The final regret is that I shouldn't have bought the upgraded chain tensioners. They are WAY overpriced, bent beyond repair after the first couple hours, and I discovered the chain and tire hold fine just having a tight axle bolt.

I hope this inspires/helps you with your current/future builds and please feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll try to answer them as well as I can. Thanks!

Here are the stats:

Frame: Vassago Jabberwocky 16”(small) $508.72

Fork: Vassago ODIS $151.87

Wheelset: Stan’s ZTR Flow 29” rims/Hope II Pro Disc 32H 20 mm 110 mm spacing front hub/White Industries ENO Disc 135 mm 32H rear hub/12 mm alloy nipples/ DT Revolution spokes/Stan’s yellow tape and removable valves $560.40 (Originally ordered wheelset from NoTubes.com for $786.80)

Tires: Stan’s The Raven 2.2" 29er $109.90

Headset: Cane Creek SOLOS 1-1/8” $86

Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-54 (68mm x 113 mm) $19.99

Cranks: White Industries ENO 180mm $169.99

Chainring: White Industries ENO 32t $47.99

Brakes: 2009 Avid BB7 160 mm front/rear $89.98

Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial $24.99

Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto Flat Bar 710 mm x 17 deg sweep x 31.8 mm clamp $50.93

Grips: ESI Racer’s Edge Silicon $19.40

Stem: Bontrager Select 120 mm/31.8 mm clamp/7 deg rise $16.49

Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2 mm/410 mm $86.58

Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT Ti rails $105

Seat Clamp: Salsa LipLock 30.0 mm $18.10

Chain: KMC KOOL Chain K-810 3/32” $26.99

Freewheels: Shimano MX 3x32” 16t $14.95

Front Hub Adapter: Hope Pro II through axle to quick release conversion end caps $63.06

Skewer: Salsa Quick Release $32.14

Crank Bolts: $7

Cables/Housing: Shimano XTR Brake Cable Kit $22.02

Tensioner Bolts: Vassago JabberNutz $23.31

Headset Installation: $40

Total: $2,295.80

(The pedals are stainless steel Speedplay Frogs which I've ridden for a few years and love. If you hate float, you'll hate these, but they go quite nicely with the bike.)
    Last edited by OutdoorCatholic; 04-22-2010 at 08:25 PM.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Beautiful ride, nice build spec. Looks like you put some time into figuring out what you wanted. Those WI ENO cranks are hot!

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY
    Beautiful ride, nice build spec. Looks like you put some time into figuring out what you wanted. Those WI ENO cranks are hot!
    Thanks so much. I definitely splurged when I went with the Enos. In hindsight, there's no other crank/chainring combo I would have chosen as it goes so perfectly with the overall aesthetic of the bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I really like black jabberwockies. Nice bike. Hope it serves you well.

mtbr member
    Awesome build ! Good deal to trade in your two bikes for this epitome of simplicity

mtbr member
    A bottom bracket recommendation -SKF - I've used one for a year now and so far I can't fault it. Good price too.

The lock-ring is red ano, by the way and not orange like it looks in the photograph, so it would match your other anodised stuff

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Nice looking bike.
    When you do know what gear ration you want the WI freewheel is really the way to go, especially if you ever ride in the wet (by choice or not).
    If you keep an eye open you might be able to find a NOS or lightly used Shimano UN73 BB; they last.

nocturnal oblivion
    I'm sure you'll be happy, looks great. To educate myself, why the 180mm cranks?

mtbr member
    I did the same thing in the same time frame. Esthetically, I wish I had gone with the White Industries cranks and chainring. I am happy with the flows. I was not obsessed about weight, as I wanted my first SS to hold up and be low maintainence. For epic rides, I may build up a ti version with gears, front shock, and weight conscious components.

So far, I love this bike ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Quite a few like the extra leverage on a SS. I almost got them myself, and still might. It would help ever so slightly on steep climbs.

skillz to pay billz
    the problem with the arches is they don't have the rim eyelets which in turn causes your spokes to loosen requiring wheel tuning often so consider yourself lucky.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Good question. Like has been stated, the extra long cranks allow me to get better leverage when I'm at the limits of what my gear ratio allows me to ride, especially in more techy section that require power-bursts, at least in theory. At the very least, those Eno cranks sure are pretty and having a little extra is is always good. I think that overall, 5mm isn't going to make a huge difference but so far I have enjoyed them and have felt that the performance of the bike has been very adequate.

As an aside, I've settled on a 32x17 gear ratio and it has worked wonders for the trails here in Omaha. One particular trail is a real bear with it but I'm glad to strengthen my legs and push my limits. Few people realize just how hilly eastern Nebraska really is. As an anecdote, I go riding in the front range once or twice a year without much issue with the climbs.
    Last edited by OutdoorCatholic; 04-23-2010 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    nice bikes guys i just built up a black jabber also and it is awesome! mines come in at 24.5 pounds and i think i could still shave some weight off of it.
    Eno is the way to go with freewheels looking at doing the Trials conversion on my 19tooth pretty quick.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

aka baycat
    Very nice Vassago. How is the wheelset treating you? Still on the tubeless vs. tubes fence.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    I did the same thing in the same time frame. Esthetically, I wish I had gone with the White Industries cranks and chainring. I am happy with the flows. I was not obsessed about weight, as I wanted my first SS to hold up and be low maintainence. For epic rides, I may build up a ti version with gears, front shock, and weight conscious components.

So far, I love this bike ...
    https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/IMGP0324.JPG
    What bars are those?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    What bars are those?

Thanks
    Syntace Vector 31.8 Carbon

Out spokin'
    Nice Wobberjackie!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Very nice Vassago. How is the wheelset treating you? Still on the tubeless vs. tubes fence.
    It has treated me well thus far. It was pretty cool when I was riding down in Landahl in Missouri and I landed on a baby's head size rock with my back tire which burped the tire flat. I thought I was done for the ride until I pulled out my hand pump, pumped it back up, then kept adding a bit of air once in a while as I continued to ride and it eventual resealed itself completely. You're supposed to change out the slime compound once a year and add a little extra here and there but I haven't messed with it and it maintains pressure really well for a long time. I was hoping to be able to run lower PSI levels with no problem but with my Raven 2.2s I find that they become "bouncy" when they are low in pressure so I tend to have them pumped up to around 23-24 PSI.

Nervous Descender
    I see everyone is running the ESI grips on their rigid Jabbers- including me!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

what's that rattle?
    Great Jabber!

I went for the same colour scheme - didn't get anywhere close to 22lb, though!

Bike Geek
    Beautiful! Perfect...almost. I'd swap out the Bontrager stem for a Thomson though...
    Last edited by slowlybutsurly; 04-24-2010 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what is the idea behind the long length of headtube below where the top tube and the down tube meet, seems to be sort of a weak design but it would allow the headtube to be cut down alot fro a steeper headtube angle and a very short steerer. With the length of the fork(leverage) i'd be very concerned about riding a bike like that hard,jumping or blasting down rocky trails. edit, i just googled those bikes,and it looks like there's supposed to be a gusset under between the headtube and the down tube,that would be a major ef up, maybe you bike has a different style gusset that's less noticable in the pics,i don't see it.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld
    Great Jabber!

I went for the same colour scheme - didn't get anywhere close to 22lb, though!

Do you have any more pics of this? It's hard for me to make out details because the contrast makes the dark sections disappear and I'm interested in seeing it more. I'm not sure if you can tell but I have red spoke nipples as well on my wheelset which look pretty sweet.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nordstern1
    Beautiful! Perfect...almost. I'd swap out the Bontrager stem for a Thomson though...
    I totally agree. I'll probably swap out the stem one of these days as it's a slight eyesore. In addition to that, it's hard to tell in the picture but the anodizing on the Salsa Liplock seat clamp is more orange than red (the packaging said "Red") which also slightly detracts from the overall aesthetic.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    what is the idea behind the long length of headtube below where the top tube and the down tube meet, seems to be sort of a weak design but it would allow the headtube to be cut down alot fro a steeper headtube angle and a very short steerer. With the length of the fork(leverage) i'd be very concerned about riding a bike like that hard,jumping or blasting down rocky trails. edit, i just googled those bikes,and it looks like there's supposed to be a gusset under between the headtube and the down tube,that would be a major ef up, maybe you bike has a different style gusset that's less noticable in the pics,i don't see it.
    If I understand correctly, the older Jabberwocky's did have some issues with cracks developing in that region so they added the gusset, which my bike does have but it's difficult to see as the lighting is a bit blown out in the picture, reducing the amount of contrast. The frames in general are very highly regarded on the forum an it would be news to me of many people having issues.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OutdoorCatholic, Nice Jabber! I too have one just like it.

I am transfering all my jabber parts to a new bandersnatch frame I am expecting next week since I find 1x9 easier on my old knees.

I ordered a new 73x113 WI BB for the Bander so I wont be needing my 68x113 I have in there now. I will sell if for $50 shipped if you are interested, I just built the Jabber before winter and I bet it has less then 40 miles on it.

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendall
    OutdoorCatholic, Nice Jabber! I too have one just like it.

I am transfering all my jabber parts to a new bandersnatch frame I am expecting next week since I find 1x9 easier on my old knees.

I ordered a new 73x113 WI BB for the Bander so I wont be needing my 68x113 I have in there now. I will sell if for $50 shipped if you are interested, I just built the Jabber before winter and I bet it has less then 40 miles on it.
    Is it an EBB or standard BB? Also, I can only assume that it's a tapered square BB? CroMo, Stainless, or Ti? Thanks for the info, I'm very interested.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's the White Industries square taper, I have the same ENO cranks as you but with silver 175 arms. It's the stainless version, not the Ti

Low Rep Count
    Wow! All 3 bikes look sweet. I'm not a big 29er fan (just feels too big to me) but these all look awesome! You guys did a great job on them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The frames that had issues were the ones with the box gusset (thinking pre-09). I knew more than one person who had issues with those, but once they made the update those same people haven't had any problems that I'm aware of.

I've been riding a very similar jabber to the OP's for over a year now as a training bike that gets beat on... have only good experiences to report. It may not be as light or snappy as my pro29, but it makes me smile just about everytime I ride it. Great riding frames, especially if you like a somewhat slack geo on an xc bike.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic
    Do you have any more pics of this? It's hard for me to make out details because the contrast makes the dark sections disappear and I'm interested in seeing it more. I'm not sure if you can tell but I have red spoke nipples as well on my wheelset which look pretty sweet.
    For sure! I think this one's a little better. The TX-1 is better for video than stills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sold them all to build this...-img_2233.jpg  

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Is that a Salsa Liplock? If so, that looks a lot more red than mine. I'm thinking that they accidently packaged an orange liplock in the red packaging when they sold it to me.

mtbr member
    Wow, great looking build - you have amazing taste in color schemes (mine looks pretty much identical)
    I went with the Arches and love them so far. I wish I had gone with the ENO cranks but I had already gone beyond my budget at that point.
    I've since gotten a red chainring made by someone on the SS forum.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorCatholic
    Is that a Salsa Liplock? If so, that looks a lot more red than mine. I'm thinking that they accidently packaged an orange liplock in the red packaging when they sold it to me.
    Yes, that's a Salsa clamp. The colour on mine seems to be fading to a burnt orange over time. Even when it was new it wasn't a great match to the reds from Hadley, King, ODI and Avid. I might try a Hope clamp if I had to do it over again...although it's better to fade to orange than pink!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Need a bottom bracket? Shimano's UN72 were as bullet proof as a square taper got, were reasonably light, and pretty cheap. In my opinion, they were the best all around ST BB. Oh look, here's one now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120561077442

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Need a bottom bracket? Shimano's UN72 were as bullet proof as a square taper got, were reasonably light, and pretty cheap. In my opinion, they were the best all around ST BB. Oh look, here's one now:
    Well shucks and darn, that would have been nice. Oh well, I have a nice White Industries BB coming my way. Unlike the WI BB though, it seems that the UN72 is almost universally loved. The WI BB seems to be a mixed bag of people who ran it for 9 years without issue to people who got it wet once only for it to completely fail on them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    250 grams! I'd hope it's bombproof.

Bro Mountainbiker
    B.A. bike. Im about to build one almost exactly like it.... It was my idea first :-P Whats the fattest tire that would fit on the Flow in the rear. Im considering 2.35 rampages, 2.4 ardents, and 2.4 Racing ralphs. Thanks for your help man. And im totally jealous of the bike.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    sorry about bringing an older thread back to life...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669
    sorry about bringing an older thread back to life...
    **** that, man, the bike is hot and worth a second view.

As for the OP- if you want a better BB, look for the three piece XTish three pieces that pop on the interwebs, or cruise used bike stores. I have two nice bits and they cost me less than ten for both...

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669
    B.A. bike. Im about to build one almost exactly like it.... It was my idea first :-P Whats the fattest tire that would fit on the Flow in the rear. Im considering 2.35 rampages, 2.4 ardents, and 2.4 Racing ralphs. Thanks for your help man. And im totally jealous of the bike.
    I had Rampages and it was cutting it close. With 2.4's (esp Ardents), you may have to move the wheel back almost all the way.

mtbr member
    That bike is Pope approved!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I had Rampages and it was cutting it close.
    Great to know, Would the rampages fit with the axel in the front of the dropouts?
    Thanks Again.

Apr 2007
    Not 100% sure. I didn't have them all the way forward, but they were up pretty far. The was maybe 2-3mm on either side. I'm on Saguaro's now (2.2"). I didn't like the Rampages at all out back. Traction wasn't that great. Sag's are 100% better.

mtbr member
    OP: how do you like the massive sweep on those bars? any reason you went with them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks great I hope up I can build up my dream frame like that one day.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Rampages at all out back. Traction wasn't that great. Sag's are 100% better
    Oh okay, Interesting. Ill look into the Sag's.
    Thanks for your help!
    Sheepo

Omaha Mountains
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minh
    OP: how do you like the massive sweep on those bars? any reason you went with them?
    I got them because reading various SS resources a lot of SSers feel that they treat their wrists in a more friendly fashion. With that said, I have enjoyed them and my wrists have been pretty happy. My only complain is I REALLY need to cut them down as I have been running them at full length for way to long and the narrow tree sections are really sketchy with mile wide handlebars.

As an update, I got some red anodized bottle cage screws and valve stem caps to extend the red blinginess of the bike. I also replaced that Bontrager stem with a Thomson Elite stem. To this day, I have still not done any maintenance on my wheels or tires. The tires still have good traction, the wheels are perfectly true, and I never changed my slime compound (but I really should). I'll have to post some updated pictures in the near future.

Teen Wolf
    i'd hit that, fa sho!

mtbr member
    This thread got some traction almost a year later? A year later, I built up a 22lb Ti version with gears and a front shock. I used it for a few epic rides and trips. It was anti-climactic ... I fitted it for my girlfriend, so she rides it now.

I ride the Jabber 100%. I love the bike.

Suffering Mightily
    In a word...gorgeous!
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

Combat Wombat

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Not 100% sure. I didn't have them all the way forward, but they were up pretty far. The was maybe 2-3mm on either side. I'm on Saguaro's now (2.2"). I didn't like the Rampages at all out back. Traction wasn't that great. Sag's are 100% better.
    When I originally built up my Jabber, I tried Rampages on both ends. With the back wheel about centered in the dropouts, the tire barely cleared the seatstays. For me, a little too close for comfort. At the recommendation of several locals, I tried a set of GEAX Suguaros. Hated it as a front tire, continues to amaze me in the back. I never would have believed a tire with the size of the knobbies on the Suguaro would hook up like it does. Ended up putting the Rampage back on the front and life has been great for the last 2 years. I think this has been the longest I have ever run the same tires without feeling the urge to upgrade them with the latest and greatest whatever at the time.

pain is good
    nice ride,you like your bars. what chain you running.

mtbr member
    OutdoorCatholic,
    I know you said it is your first SS and all but can you see any real difference with the longer crank arms? I'm going to build up another SS and through research I'm curious about the 180 length. Very nice build.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD
    OutdoorCatholic,
    I know you said it is your first SS and all but can you see any real difference with the longer crank arms? I'm going to build up another SS and through research I'm curious about the 180 length. Very nice build.
    I swapped between 175mm and 180mm cranks on my Fort Onix SS several years ago. Seems hard to believe 5mm would make a difference, but it was noticeable on steep climbs. It you already have a set of 175mm cranks that you like, IMHO I would not change just for the sake of the longer cranks, but if you are looking for new cranks, it would be worth considering.

Apr 2007
    BrianU - Any issues with pedal strike with the BB being low already? I've been wanting to try 180's, but that's one thing I was worried about.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    BrianU - Any issues with pedal strike with the BB being low already? I've been wanting to try 180's, but that's one thing I was worried about.
    That was another one of those things that who would have figured. I mean hold two fingers out in front of you with about 5mm between them and we are talking a pretty small gap. I do not ride that many rocky places, so it was not a major problem. For those rocks I do ride through, I guess I never realized how close I was coming with my 175mm FSAs. It did only take a couple rides to adapt to the longer crank arms.

Members who have read this thread: 0