Socal SS gathering....May 23rd.- Mtbr.com
    giddy up!

Socal SS gathering....May 23rd.

Alright, it's official.

Mark your calendars for May 23rd....socal singlespeed gathering on the Santa Ana River Trail. Meet at the middle control trailhead at 9:00 a.m., or caravan(I guess we'll work the caravans out later).

There are several ride options that we can pan out later depending on how many people decide to come....I would be prepared to ride at least 20 miles, and at least 3-5 hours of fun in the forest!

I am sure there will be plenty of questions in regards to the ride...post them here or email me.

Hope to see many of you there!

P.S. gearies are of course welcome:-)
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job!

"it's so much better, when every one is in."

i am in.

giddy up!

... and if we just ...

I'm in.....but you guys probably already assumed that.

Oh, Andy aka Rut told me to tell ya'll that he's in too.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

You Are What You Is
    I hope this isn't going to be at race pace, what with Hugh and Andy there. I'm up for a nice leisurely ride. I'm about 70% in.

Mashers Only!!
    I'm in!!!!!

HUGH

Cracker-magnon

Wwgd

What would gpsser do....

Man we're in a tight spot

Either I do Bikes&Beers or I do This, I can't do both.

What to Do
    What to Do
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member

Sounds like a plan.

I'm 90% in (Still wavering on whether or not to race the NORBA nat'ls at Big Bear that day.).

I ride up there at least 2-3 times/month during the summer, but I haven't gone further out than the Apple Orchards in quite a while, 'cause I usually ride up from Loch Leven.

Leaving from Angeles Oaks you can do an epic loop that's nearly 40 miles and almost all singletrack, including my favorite trail in the area. I don't think it's technically part of the Santa Ana river trail and you hafta do a long climb up past Jenks Lake to get to it, but it's well worth the effort. I haven't done the whole ride yet on a singlespeed, but I've done a couple 4 1/2 - 5 hour epics up there the last couple of weekends that didn't kill me, so I think it's doable...

-Trevor

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

New question here. why not both?

no hall pass from mrs. gpsser?

mtbr member

Tenatively...

I'm in.
    --Billy

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

SSped
    Jan 2004

I am in

Bikes and beers I thought was on the 16th.

SSped

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    I'm in.
    --Billy
    Billy whats up??

HUGH

hispanic mechanic

Count me in!

Can someone tell me how to get there from Sandy Eggo?

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos

the los
    Los whats up!!

HUGH

giddy up!

Yup!

I am not too familiar with Sandy Eggo freeways....but you will definitely need to get to the 10 somehow:-)

Once on the 10, here are the directions from mapquest.....

8: Take the UNIVERSITY STREET exit. 0.2 miles Map
    9: Turn RIGHT onto N UNIVERSITY ST. <0.1 miles Map
    10: Turn LEFT onto E CITRUS AVE. 2.5 miles Map
    11: Turn LEFT onto CRAFTON AVE. 1.0 miles Map
    12: Turn RIGHT onto MENTONE BLVD/CA-38. Continue to follow CA-38.

Once you're on Highway 38 you will start to wind your way up into the San Bernardino mountains....after about 16 miles or so you will come to the town of angeles oaks, which is comprised of a restaraunt and a liquor store(seriously, that's it). Drive past Angelus oaks for a block or so and park in the HUGE pullout on the left hand side of Highway 38....This pullout is really obvious, can't miss it, but if you have doubts, there is a fire road that dumps into the pullout that is marked as Middle Control Road(which we will climb up to end the day) I will be there pretty early, and I'll try to make myself look very conspicuous so you can't miss.

Or, you could drive up the 5 to Orange County and carpool with some of the nice people up here:-)

Quote Originally Posted by sslos

the los
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    hey donkey.....

were you having dinner at rutebagorz in orange last night?

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Alright, it's official.

Mark your calendars for May 23rd....socal singlespeed gathering on the Santa Ana River Trail. Meet at the middle control trailhead at 9:00 a.m., or caravan(I guess we'll work the caravans out later).

There are several ride options that we can pan out later depending on how many people decide to come....I would be prepared to ride at least 20 miles, and at least 3-5 hours of fun in the forest!

I am sure there will be plenty of questions in regards to the ride...post them here or email me.

Hope to see many of you there!

P.S. gearies are of course welcome:-)
    clicky-wrists

The name's Norm...

I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by SSped
    Bikes and beers I thought was on the 16th.

SSped
    Hey SSped, can we commute together?? Are you bringing any of the riding buddies, like T. B.? Think he'd fit right in here!!!
    And the Bikes 'n' Beers IS on 5/16. That's a Sunday, buddy.

giddy up!

Hmmmm...

....that would be me...Mike? Julie?

Quote Originally Posted by lazy72
    hey donkey.....

were you having dinner at rutebagorz in orange last night?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

hispanic mechanic

S'up there, speedy!

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Los whats up!!

HUGH
    How's it goin', man?

Lookin' forward to ridin' with you, instead of just watchin' you ride away from me, like at Sagebrush!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    ....that would be me...Mike? Julie?
    mike here. been lurking around here for a little while. i'll talk to julie to see if she's into it, but i'm in for the 23rd. i think i've finally kicked this strep thing.

never ridden SART in all of the years i've lived here.....a travesty, i know. i think chatty-matt wanted to do it too. have you talked to him?

also, don't forget about the bike swap at switchback on the 15th of this month. i've got those white panaracer magics waiting for you.

m
    clicky-wrists

giddy up!

Excellent....

...lookin forward to riding with ya! You'll dig the SART, it's good stuff.
    I called Matt to let him know, hopefully he can get the day off..

White magics! You can count on me showing up at the bikeswap...I am sure that Tim will produce some early 90's ano crap that I can't live without.

Oh, don't forget about bikes and beer on the 16th....that'll be a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by lazy72
    mike here. been lurking around here for a little while. i'll talk to julie to see if she's into it, but i'm in for the 23rd. i think i've finally kicked this strep thing.

never ridden SART in all of the years i've lived here.....a travesty, i know. i think chatty-matt wanted to do it too. have you talked to him?

also, don't forget about the bike swap at switchback on the 15th of this month. i've got those white panaracer magics waiting for you.

m
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

Good hearing from you Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Billy whats up??

HUGH
    I haven't been on the board much lately, only lurking really. Excuses? Well, first my PC went down for a few weeks and I had to send it in to Dell. Next, the studying schedule leaves a little spare time, most of which I would rather spend riding than talking about riding. On top of all that, my crowning jewel of SS, my Dean developed a crack back in October. In the first week of January I finally sent it in to them for repair. They proceded to tell me that they would build me up a new frame...ok, cool. Well, it is the beginning of May now and I still don't have the frame. Hopefully I will have it for the trip AZ trip the weekend of the 14-17 of May. I have been riding a $40 nashbar frame since. The frame is ok, but I can't ride it like I could the Dean. Maybe my passion for SS will return with my frame.
    How you been? Heard you have been waxing the competition at the races. Good on you! I knew you had great potential when I met you...mostly just because of your positive attitude and go get 'em zeal. I look forward to seeing you on that shiny new Seven soon. If you aren't doing anything during the weekend of May 14-17, you might join TD and I for some Sedona/Flagstaff riding. See Ya!

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    So I guess non of you guys are heading over to Newcastle for my ride then! ;-)

P::..

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    no hall pass from mrs. gpsser?
    sorta....with my son's little league schedule, I kinda promised both of them I wouldn't go out every Sunday during baseball season, and I have to go out of town for 3 days on the 27th.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfire
    So I guess non of you guys are heading over to Newcastle for my ride then! ;-)
    No....but if you wish we could consume a few bottles of Newcastle for ya, so we could be there in spirits

SSped
    Jan 2004

The Caravan is on

Yah normie we can cruise up together. I will tell Big B. and Mr T that I signed them up. We can pick you up on the way.

SSped

I got Moto dialed in with A new Fox fork and she really loves it. Also had the boys at The Path do a bunch of neglected maintenance on it too. Bikes and Beers is gona be fun. B. crashed really bad on waterfall last time he did a ride with them. He might be a little tramatized.

34N 118W

Good job! Pink one down

do SART w/me.

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    What would gpsser do....

Man we're in a tight spot

Either I do Bikes&Beers or I do This, I can't do both.

What to Do
    What to Do

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! woohoo!

yes, Ken, if you have to choose do SART with Jeff. you two are such a cute couple!
    we'll bring you beer so you can have bikes & beers on SART. it'll be a two-fer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wooohooo!

I'm in for sure. SART = good times. I recommend we ride that sweet singletrack above the lake.

--Drewdawg

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

... and if we just ... me too!

can't wait... I agree we must hit that awesome singletrack we did last time!

giddy up!

Hopefully:-)

.....I guess it depends how many people show up and how many miles people want to put in.....

Ideally we will have enough people show up to split into two groups....one long(36 mile) ride and one shorter(20 something mile)...Either way it's gonna rock!

Quote Originally Posted by poacher
    can't wait... I agree we must hit that awesome singletrack we did last time!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

Which route to take?

After looking at mountainbikebill.com and rut-riders.org I see that there are at least 3 ways in or out from Angelus Oaks. Which one will be the descent and which the climb?

giddy up!
    I would suggest that we do the following...

Park at middle control pullout, ride down 38 to the post office...up fire road behind post office to 2nd singletrack entrance....ride singletrack all the way to middle control road, cross middle control and continue on SART...at this point we have two options.

1. Stay on SART, ride up to south fork and then turn around and ride SART back, then climb middle control back to the cars....this route allows people to turn around at any point, and is ideal for all fitness/skill levels. Many mileage options, as you can turn around at any point.

2. Veer off of the SART and climb through the apple orchards on fire road up to highway 38. Go left on 38 then right on Jenks lake road....climb to the T and veer right...resume climbing until we hit the Upper Jenks lake Single track(that's what I always call it, don't know the real name) Take this singletrack downhill to south fork, shich is the Upper terminus of the SART. Take SART back to middle control, climb up to the cars. This loop is roughly 36 miles, car to car, but feels much shorter.

Soooo...I hope that answers the question....either way, none of the climbs are too steep or strenuous....when all is said and done the SART is a great SS trail!

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    After looking at mountainbikebill.com and rut-riders.org I see that there are at least 3 ways in or out from Angelus Oaks. Which one will be the descent and which the climb?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Bigger than Big
    I'm pretty sure that I will be there, although I'll be on my new gearie.
    SS is being built, but I won't be up to SARTing on it yet.
    Lazy72 - I've been battling that strep too. What a PITA!

Sounds like it'll be a blast!
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    No....but if you wish we could consume a few bottles of Newcastle for ya
    Beer? Well, golly, I guess I'll be there too!

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Beer? Well, golly, I guess I'll be there too!
    WaaaHoooo Impy is commin down!!! Nice!!!

HUGH

You Are What You Is

Hey Donkey....

Is there a way to avoid climbing out on Middle Control Road? Maybe starting further down? It's not that bad of a climb, but after 30 miles or so it's not something I relish climbing. Maybe the slower group (that would be me) could start ahead of Middle Control Road somewhere while the faster group (probably the majority of you mutants) starts at the post office and then we all meet up for a break whenever the fast group catches the slow group. Just a thought.
    Last edited by P-Funk; 05-06-2004 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot

giddy up!

You could...

....leave a car parked at middle control where it intersects the SART. However, I have done this in the past, and it is a PIA....mainly because the road is not in the best shape, and it takes longer to drive up once you get bikes loaded and all than it does to ride...

The problem with this plan is that you then miss out on all of the singletrack behind the post office, unless you drive down middle, park a car, then get a ride back up middle and proceed behind the post office.

Sooo, if there are others that want to go that route, it would be an option....just a time consuming one. I would recommend doing the climb....it's a nice end to the ride:-) It goes quick, usually about a half an hour....approx. 3 miles. Just make sure that you pace yourself for the rest of the ride and have enough fuel in the tank to get you up the climb!

Looks like the ride is shaping up, look forward to seeing you all there!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Is there a way to avoid climbing out on Middle Control Road? Maybe starting further down? It's not that bad of a climb, but after 30 miles or so it's not something I relish climbing. Maybe the slower group (that would be me) could start ahead of Middle Control Road somewhere while the faster group (probably the majority of you mutants) starts at the post office and then we all meet up for a break whenever the fast group catches the slow group. Just a thought.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com