So what happens next?- Mtbr.com
    Rohloff

So what happens next?

I just started SSing. I really like it. When I get on my geared bike, I frequently find myself "SSing" it (ie. very little gear changes, lots of standing and cranking). Now I'm wondering why I have a geared bike. Is this feeling going to pass? Am I going to end up riding SS only? Do some of you go back and forth? Why? Are some trails just not good for SSing? I'm about to go on a trip on trails I've never ridden. Do I take my SS or is it better to explore with gears?

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    ..... Is this feeling going to pass? No.
    Am I going to end up riding SS only? Probably
    Do some of you go back and forth? Not me, I have no choice.
    Why? Sold all my geared stuff, you'll do the same.
    Are some trails just not good for SSing? Heretic!
    I'm about to go on a trip on trails I've never ridden. Do I take my SS or is it better to explore with gears? Dood! Is there a choice?
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    I only find myself really missing gears when I am riding a road. Sometimes, you actually do ride a mtb on a road, and there have been times I rode to the trail and wished I had some harder gears to help get there a little faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What happens next?
    You grow strange facial hair.... duh

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted
    What happens next?
    You grow strange facial hair.... duh
    That only happens if you commute on a fixed gear.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    That only happens if you commute on a fixed gear.
    Woo, Thank goodness. I just shaved my beard, but I have been feeling a desire to get some tats, get a wool cap and hang out in coffee shops ... and I don't drink coffee!

Seriously ... Is single speeding mostly it for most of you? I can imagine there are some good times for gears, but are you guys SSing most of the time or is it just an occasional ride to mix it up?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    Woo, Thank goodness. I just shaved my beard, but I have been feeling a desire to get some tats, get a wool cap and hang out in coffee shops ... and I don't drink coffee!

Seriously ... Is single speeding mostly it for most of you? I can imagine there are some good times for gears, but are you guys SSing most of the time or is it just an occasional ride to mix it up?
    Personally I ride both SS & gearie, but my reason for tolerating gears in the summer has more to do with preferring suspension than with preferring gears. That is to say my 8-spd FS sled works best for me in that configuration.

I ride SS year 'round and exclusively November through April. Oregon's legendary winter rain & epic mud is not kind to suspension components nor multi-speed drivetrains, so it's rigid SS for at least six months.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Yo.
    Well, right now my SS is the only MTB in the stable that is rideable, so I don't have a choice. I'm at a bit of a crossroads at this point, as my SS, while nice, features technology that many riders consider passe - 26" wheels with inner tubes, rim brakes, a fork with 80mm of travel (or none at all if I swap in a rigid fork).

Now, I'm not dissing my bike, those technologies, or SS in general, but I've come to peace with the fact that while that bike is fun for an hour or two, I'm pretty beat up at the end of 4+ hour rides, especially if I'm riding and trying to keep up with folks on 29ers, FS bikes, etc. And I'm at a point in my life where I'd much rather not have a sore back, pumped forearms, and seared lungs and legs the morning after a full day on the bike, rather than have to deal with all those things but be able to say I did it all on a singlespeed.

Which is why I've held off on updating my old hardtail (a 1995 Ted Wojcik), and am thinking about a FS 29er for those long days in the saddle. I'm still keeping my Echelon SS, and hell, the Ted may end up getting SS'd as well, but technology marches on, and if said technology is going to help me enjoy riding and get out more, well, then, that's good enough for me.

YMMV, of course. And, if you aren't going to be needing that Rohloff hub anymore, I'd be happy to take it off your hands
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member
    I like both. I first decide where I'm going to ride, then decide which bike to take. There are some trails that are too steep or are too technical for rigid SS, so gears and FS get the nod. But SS is much more fun sometimes. I really liked running fixie in the snow last winter, I'm impatiently waiting for the snow to fly here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    HA! Another one to the dark side. Don't resist. You'll end up giving in anyways.

Having said that, I still have a hardtail with gears. But it has dust on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i have a titus ml1 with maybe 100 miles on it and ithas spyder webs in the spokes

Rohloff
    Well, it seems the issue of what bike to ride is suspension as much as gears. I ride rough trails and don't like taking a pounding, so I bought a full suspesion SS ... Milk Money. I had a rigid SS. That was a no go for me. I bought the Milk Money with the idea of adding an IGH but now I'm wondering why. It seems to be getting me just about everywhere my geared bike does. Who knows? I'm probably going to have to try it out myself to figure it all out. Still, it's nice to hear what other people are doing.

By the way, I left the gears at home and I'm taking the SS to Sedona. Leaving at noon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    Well, right now my SS is the only MTB in the stable that is rideable, so I don't have a choice. I'm at a bit of a crossroads at this point, as my SS, while nice, features technology that many riders consider passe - 26" wheels with inner tubes, rim brakes, a fork with 80mm of travel (or none at all if I swap in a rigid fork).

Now, I'm not dissing my bike, those technologies, or SS in general, but I've come to peace with the fact that while that bike is fun for an hour or two, I'm pretty beat up at the end of 4+ hour rides, especially if I'm riding and trying to keep up with folks on 29ers, FS bikes, etc. And I'm at a point in my life where I'd much rather not have a sore back, pumped forearms, and seared lungs and legs the morning after a full day on the bike, rather than have to deal with all those things but be able to say I did it all on a singlespeed.

Which is why I've held off on updating my old hardtail (a 1995 Ted Wojcik), and am thinking about a FS 29er for those long days in the saddle. I'm still keeping my Echelon SS, and hell, the Ted may end up getting SS'd as well, but technology marches on, and if said technology is going to help me enjoy riding and get out more, well, then, that's good enough for me.

YMMV, of course. And, if you aren't going to be needing that Rohloff hub anymore, I'd be happy to take it off your hands
    I went Rigid 29r SS about a year ago. I built up a matching front squish bike with gears for longer rides. I rode it about 500 miles this year. My SS about 1500. Last month, I went on a 60 miler, and decided to SS it. I had a blast, and was not worse for the wear. I may not ride my geared bike again. In fact, I just changed out the pedals and lowered the saddle so my girlfriend can ride it. I'll probably just leave it like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I ride about 1/3 SS, 1/3 geared hardtail, and 1/3 dual suspension (some of this is lift-serve). I'm just not strong enough or skilled enough to ride my SS everywhere....and I like variety.

openwound
    Though I rode my ss most of the time last summer, I do have a Nomad and a road bike that also see use. I just like riding bikes and try not to be a snob or elitist about it.

mtbr member
    I ride both SS and geared, on and off road. I find that switching bikes keeps it fun and interesting and I always look forward to be on "the other" bike.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I went ss only 7+ years ago. No regrets and I can't ever see using gears again.

I tried 1x9 about a year ago. Not only did I dislike it, it hurt my back Granted I have some spinal problems but ss is pain free so just one more reason

mtbr member
    "Is this feeling going to pass? "

Yes, as soon as you have a garage sale for all your geared stuff. I've seen it played out a dozen times. Soon you will want the hook space for another SS bike, maybe even a SS Road Bike.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

Members who have read this thread: 0