So many singlespeeders?- Mtbr.com
    mbtr member

So many singlespeeders?

when i go out riding here in the south bay area, it seems like 1/3rd of the other people on the trails are rockin the single speed (and half of those are on rigid 29ers) Is it that there are gobs of singlespeeders running around that just dont get much press attention because it's hard to sell them junk, or just that the same small group of ss'ers are the ones who spend the most time on their bikes?

It's just so wierd to see so many of them out there when there's little mention of them in mags and so few ss bikes in shoppes.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    ... Is it that there are gobs of singlespeeders running around that just dont get much press attention because it's hard to sell them junk, or just that the same small group of ss'ers are the ones who spend the most time on their bikes? ...
    No one knows.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    There are really only a handful of singlespeeders on the planet... all the posts here are done by a few people with mutliple user names and since we can ride our SS bikes so fast we can seem to be everywhere at once.

Singlespeeding is the real deal and a very popular ride choice in these parts as well.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I've personally only seen one other singlespeeder on the trail since I started 8 months ago.

mtbr member

love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    There are really only a handful of singlespeeders on the planet... all the posts here are done by a few people with mutliple user names and since we can ride our SS bikes so fast we can seem to be everywhere at once.

Singlespeeding is the real deal and a very popular ride choice in these parts as well.
    "-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-"
    right on.
    A Subaru with an angry lesbian that said: Men created God, Women harvest the earth - act globally.

The times I've been to Kettle Moraine, I see from time to time a singlespeeder. But to me, its just another person on a bike.

Nat
    mtbr member
    You're reading the wrong mags and going to the wrong shops.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I see very few, on the races only a handfull show up. There're a few ssers out there but haven't seen many on my rides.

In terms of SS friendly shops, we have none.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the philly area is also overrun with singlespeeds and 29er. i can't go on a ride without seeing at least one; usually a whole heard of em. i always figured it was just cause we have lots of smart people here in philthy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    the philly area is also overrun with singlespeeds and 29er. i can't go on a ride without seeing at least one; usually a whole heard of em. i always figured it was just cause we have lots of smart people here in philthy...

Must be a "college town" thing. Here in Austin, the place is crawling with SSers.
    “The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there”---Robert M. Pirsig

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    I've only seen two on the trails up here, besides me. Radair (a SS by choice)was on one, the other was a guy with a broken derailleur (SS not by choice).
    But I got to say, it's a rare day that I run into someone (unless you count moose) on my local ride. I know there are more SS's around. At least that's what the LBS guy said.
    In Boston, road SS's are everywhere. They are more durable. No one slamming your derailleur trying to lock up on the same post/bike rack.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

Nat
    mtbr member
    SS and 29ers all around in Bend, OR. Several SS and 29er-friendly shops too.

FMTCD
    Mar 2007
    A couple of guys I ride with basically kidnapped my bike and converted it to a SS. Its been almost a year now without gears. I don't miss the shifting, chain slapping and constant maintanance.

About 1/4 of the guys in our crew ride SS.
    Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

Known Mountainbiker
    What's to sell a SSer? We got it, it's easy to maintain, it's made durable and we don't need anything else. As for why you see so many SSers around, like 65er said, we're few but fast and besides, I read some where that SSing is just a fad and who wants to put stock in a fad when there's SSingletrack to be riden?

1/3 singlespeeders and you say that's a large percent?? Up here it's rare to see gearies.

Other than that, who knows.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

conjoinicorned
    very, very rare to spot an SS'er around these parts.

makes me feel hardcore, i hope that there isn't more converts...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I started riding SS in the mid '90's and never saw another singlespeed in the woods around here (northern NJ) until 3 or 4 years ago. In the last two years they've become very common. 29ers are a common sight only within the past year in this area.
    bruce boysen

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    What's to sell a SSer? Caz
    Beer. You need to hang around the pub more.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In montana, there are some single speeders. mostly a small group that sticks together. as far as 29er goes. i have to order stuff online instead of buying it in local shops. they all say 29er is a fad. they all tell me they can order in anything i want, but if i want something, i want it. if i'm going to order it in, i'll buy it online, since it is cheaper. i like buying local but no local shops are carrying anything right now. But i do agree with cutthroat, go to the pub, not a fancy bar, a pub and you will find enough poor guys who only ride single speed. no insults to people on this site, but the single speeders i ride with and know are poor dirt bags who love to ride.

mtbr member

SS`ers are Here

Lots of ss`ers in Pisgah...
    But i only see a couple Fixed Gear riders...1Gear/1Brake/No Coasting..yipee...

Members who have read this thread: 0