So I'm at the dump...- Mtbr.com
    Live, Freeze, and Ride

So I'm at the dump...

...when I see a pile of bikes near, but not in, the metal bin. (If they're in the bin you can't grab'em.)
    The usual junk, a Marlboro miles prize bike (I'm guessing) that is a folding Fuji?, an Al Raliegh but with 1" steerer, and then I see it. A steel Specialized Hardrock with a 1 1/8" head tube.
    Needless to say, I brought it home and stripped off the crappy parts (it had a threaded suspension fork? didn't know they existed).
    So it has crazy dropouts. They look like horizontal dropouts that haven't had all the material removed. They drilled out the back and front but didn't connect the two holes. Can I take out the rest? This would give me some chain adjustment.
    Thanks,
    bp
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

El Pollo Diablo
    In for pics!

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    That will have to wait until I get my cell phone back in range. It's my only digital camera.
    And though I can see the pic on the phone right now, I'm 10 miles from a signal.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by lobolator
    They look like horizontal dropouts that haven't had all the material removed. They drilled out the back and front but didn't connect the two holes. Can I take out the rest? This would give me some chain adjustment.
    I am not a materials engineer, but would think this would be bad. I am pretty sure I remember the DO you are describing, and by removing material, it will allow the axle to flex the curved (back part) of the DO and possibly crack/shear the lower segment of the DO off. If you were moving and said cracking/shearing occured it would result in some sort of drama. I am not 100% sure, hope someone else has input.....oh, post a photo.
    Tuff Schist

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lobolator
    ...when I see a pile of bikes near, but not in, the metal bin. (If they're in the bin you can't grab'em.)
    The usual junk, a Marlboro miles prize bike (I'm guessing) that is a folding Fuji?, an Al Raliegh but with 1" steerer, and then I see it. A steel Specialized Hardrock with a 1 1/8" head tube.
    Needless to say, I brought it home and stripped off the crappy parts (it had a threaded suspension fork? didn't know they existed).
    So it has crazy dropouts. They look like horizontal dropouts that haven't had all the material removed. They drilled out the back and front but didn't connect the two holes. Can I take out the rest? This would give me some chain adjustment.
    Thanks,
    bp
    Go for it. Should work fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

donkey
    i had the same issue witha giant road sport that i was making into a fixed gear. an angle grinder will do nicely.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Ssweet! Grinding away. Now I need cranks and....
    Thanks.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

WAWE
    Jan 2004

Exclusively Single
    Dremel those DO's.

I have a '91 RockHopper Comp frame with the same DO's, and I "connected the dots".

I've built and ridden it as a SS and as a 700c fixie, no problems at all. That's thick steel.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Here's a before. After coming soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS

Candlestick Maker

worked for me

I did this to an 88'ish Hard Rock and have put thousands of miles on it with no problems related to the modified dropouts.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=57594

And, of course there were threaded suspension forks. Sheesh, youngsters these days! Wait, you're older than me.

:-)

baker

Members who have read this thread: 0