So I tried the fixie thing....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

So I tried the fixie thing....

Ok so I tried this whole idea of riding fixed.....

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After some good advice on here I emailed Kogswell cycles and ordered an 18t cog that would bolt on my disc brake(pic included) Wow were they ever fast and awesome to work with. Arrived in 2 days. Set it up today and took it out to our trails. I am a guy that likes to just jump in w/ both feet and we have a nice basic loop on our trail that is 3 miles and has small log piles some nice downhills and short steep climbs. I figured what they heck right? Rode it around my house for a bit and got used to it and made sure everything was straight then headed to the trail.

Got there and rode the trail very slow. It is funny how much coasting is 2nd nature, but I finally figured out fast that there no coasting was on the menu. I took my time and tried to time my lines carefully especially over the log piles etc., low and behold I CLEARED THE WHOLE LOOP!!, and decided to do it again. This time I focused on resisting the pedals on the downhills a bit etc. It almost felt like I was walking down a steep hill and was walking the bike down the hills(really cool can't even explain in words), but it did slow the bike to where I could manage a spin on the downhills(east coast root and rock), I also figured out exactly how to hover over the seat and get my weight back for the tech stuff, which was really cool. Long story short cleaned it again, so the 3 lap I just took everything I just worked on/learned and let it rip! Had a great lap. Still went down the hills a bit slow, but it was soooooo much fun!!!! I now understand why the guys who ride fixed do it! It is going to be a nice option to play around with. I rode w/ my rear brake unhooked and really felt the rear of the bike slow down when I resisted etc. Such a cool feeling.

Here is a pic of my Monocog, rattle canned Copper Sparkle w/ now a flip flop hub hahaha/ 20t freewheel on one side and fixxed on the other. Bontrager parts including big sweep bars, rest stock! FUN FUN FUN BIKE AND RIDE!!!!
    Attached Images

Attached Images Attached Images
    On one gear fixed or free is where I want to be.....

Harrumph
    Welcome!
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Thanks G-reg! It was a real blast seriously. Made the same ol' trails new and exciting again if you know what I mean. Good stuff.

Any other tips on how to manage trail obstacles are greatly appreciated so please feel free to provide them here!!!! Thanks, JC

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How is the chainline with that cog on the MC? I am thinking about trying the same thing with my Monocog. Nice paint job too. Thanks, LBB

U got it right! If you start to ride in unfamiliar places a shorter crank may be nice, that way you'll find that you can clear logs and stuff a little better. I went for a 165mm with a 34 in da front and an 18 out back.......works good in Pisgah.
    "Roll your own......." Smokebikes.com

mtbr member
    Way nice setup! Count me in...thinking of getting a flip/flop wheel for the rear on my mono, and see where it goes from there.
    Great bike!
    ON THE TRAIL, WE ARE ALL WARRIORS...AND WARRIORS HAVE SCARS.

mtbr member
    BMW---Chainline is nearly idenical to the other side. No problems w/ it being way off etc. It was extremely smooth.

Jazzmaker--This is the stock wheelset that comes with the Redline. I got a cog from www.kogswell.com , shoot them an email and they have the cogs that bolt on to the disc brake spider for around $30 shipped. Turns the wheelset into a flip flop!!

Good stuff guys, any other advice I am definatly down! JC

mtbr member
    That's wicked cool how that bolts right on! What kind of bars are those on your Redline?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info JC...very nice option!
    ON THE TRAIL, WE ARE ALL WARRIORS...AND WARRIORS HAVE SCARS.

mtbr member

Hiking..

Sometimes as im pedalin' through the trail clutter i start visulizing how i would place my feet if i was just hiking it and then the pedals seem to just plant in those "footsteps"...
    it`s as if im walking it while im pedalin' it....
    After a while of just fixed i find coasting is a strange sensation.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    That's wicked cool how that bolts right on! What kind of bars are those on your Redline?
    Those are Bontrager Big Sweep bars w/ 15 degree sweep. They are pretty nice. I like them on this bike because it seemed a bit taller up front than the fishers etc. I have had in the past. Later bud, JC

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips Thad.. I went again today and just loved it. Even let my bud try it out and he seemed to dig it too. I just removed the rear brake today, never missed it. Now I can save up for one of you and Gabe's Smoke Frames haha. I am in NC in Surry County(Mt. Airy) near the Va. line, so I am not too far! Take it easy and thanks for the tips! JC

Stray Bullet
    Try a cog with a prime number to avoid putting flat spots in the same place.

mtbr member
    You want a real challenge? Try mountain unicycling...

Seriously, its just like you described! Slowing the wheel down with your legs etc

The only way i have fun muniing anymore though is on really technical trails (double blacks at Northstar, Tunnel in Santa Barbara, etc)

I have always appreciated coasting for the sheer speed..... But it sounds like you'd really dig muniing

here's a pic of me in Santa Barbara on an easier section of trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    You want a real challenge? Try mountain unicycling...

Seriously, its just like you described! Slowing the wheel down with your legs etc

The only way i have fun muniing anymore though is on really technical trails (double blacks at Northstar, Tunnel in Santa Barbara, etc)

I have always appreciated coasting for the sheer speed..... But it sounds like you'd really dig muniing

here's a pic of me in Santa Barbara on an easier section of trail

Officially my hero!! haha. that is awesome! JC

mtbr member
    i almost forgot i had this picture too! (see below)

seriously you fixie guys should try muniing..

www.krisholm.com
    the best munis ^

the 29er is good for XC and the 24 is good for all mountain/DH kinda uniing

p.s. thx JC, it's easier than it looks!

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Wow! Way cool!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    That is just too cool. I will check out that link. Thanks, JC

mtbr member

Not far..

Quote Originally Posted by JC2niner
    Thanks for the tips Thad.. I went again today and just loved it. Even let my bud try it out and he seemed to dig it too. I just removed the rear brake today, never missed it. Now I can save up for one of you and Gabe's Smoke Frames haha. I am in NC in Surry County(Mt. Airy) near the Va. line, so I am not too far! Take it easy and thanks for the tips! JC
    We should hook up for a fixie ride sometime then, come on up to Pisgah for a wk-end and we`ll go fixie stylin'.....

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    I have a hard enough time with 2 wheels. Muniing rocks!

Members who have read this thread: 0