So, the guy at the shop said I should....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

So, the guy at the shop said I should....

Having just switched out the frame on one of my XC bikes, my friend at the shop suggested I use one of my old rigs and build up a 26" SS bike.
    I am neither short nor light (5'10 165lbs.)
    The only reason I'm even thinking about it is that I already own just about everything for the build. So, I'm thinking I might as well give it a go.
    I can build a uber light rig using old parts, possibly under 20lbs?
    Heck, I even have a SIDS fork lying around.
    Why should or why shouldn't I bother?
    It would be a 'spare' bike for sure.
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Because you never know.. it might suck you in to a whole new world of biking and make you ride your fancier bikes less. Or maybe not. Still, there's a chance you could have a lot of fun for just the cost of a few missing parts. What do you have to lose?

(of course we will all say "go for it!!", we're the singlespeed forum for crying out loud )

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I thought you were all a bunch of 29ers though.
    Heck, I didn't even know anyone built up 26ers as SS rigs.

I guess the basic question rests on the wheel size and my size.
    Would that combo work at all.....(okay, I'm old and fat, but I'm losing weight and I can
    always dye my hair!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That

Would that combo work at all.....(okay, I'm old and fat, but I'm losing weight and I can
    always dye my hair!)
    Singlespeeds far precede the popularity of 29ers. Some of us (such as myself) may prefer 29ers, especially on a singlspeed and even more so on a rigid bike, but ss is still fun no matter what wheel size. I would love to have one of each in fact (SS 26er with big susp fork and SS rigid 29er)

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006

always dye my hair!)
    are you kidding? TONS of people still prefer and ride 26er SS bikes, myself included.
    The fastest guys i know still ride a 26er. Almost every pro i know rides a 26er or 650b (well, i guess they are also the fastest guys i know).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    are you kidding? TONS of people still prefer and ride 26er SS bikes, myself included.
    The fastest guys i know still ride a 26er. Almost every pro i know rides a 26er or 650b (well, i guess they are also the fastest guys i know).
    except that one guy who won the US National XC and National Marathon Championships last year

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    except that one guy who won the US National XC and National Marathon Championships last year
    I'm not saying a pro wont ride what his sponsor spoon feeds him

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, to tell the truth, I always thought that the 29er 'revolution' was a plot by Specialized and Trek to create another market.
    I do like the diversity of bikes on the rides I've been on lately. Everything from S Works bikes to an old 21 speed and even one off custom jobs. I just know that when I see a SS in the group, I won't be the last rig to the top of the mountain!

mtbr member
    I'm not saying a pro wont ride what his sponsor spoon feeds him
    don't they all, even all those ones still on 26ers?

Maybe I should start a pro team and have team issue penny farthings they have to ride, just to keep things from being to serious out there

mtbr member
    Well, to tell the truth, I always thought that the 29er 'revolution' was a plot by Specialized and Trek to create another market.
    I do like the diversity of bikes on the rides I've been on lately. Everything from S Works bikes to an old 21 speed and even one off custom jobs. I just know that when I see a SS in the group, I won't be the last rig to the top of the mountain!

specialized was actually fairly late to the game. Gary Fisher was very passionate about 29ers from the start and convinced Trek to let him sell one, but even that apparently almost got axed at some point early on IIRC

I hear you on the diversity. It's much better now than in the 90's when everyone wanted nearly identical xc hardtails

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm heading to the garage now.....

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    I've got a nice FS and a 26er SS. Completely addicted to ss though and I'm never last up usualy second or first
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

Jul 2006
    don't they all, even all those ones still on 26ers?

Maybe I should start a pro team and have team issue penny farthings they have to ride, just to keep things from being to serious out there
    I will sponsor that team, even though they dont have chainrings.

mtbr member
    I will sponsor that team, even though they dont have chainrings.
    they would wear the ring hangin from a chromed chain around their neck

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hahaha!! no ss 26ers?! wow... umm.. nope, definitely not true.
    the current trend towards 29ers is actually freeing up some nice frames!

anyways, back to the question, yeah ss it! you'd be surprised how much "those leftovers" can add together to something that's just fun!
    i couldn't afford the first gen xtr v brakes when they came out, now I've got a couple sets and lookey hey!! a merlin ti 26er frame beind sold by someone who's "moved forward to 29", and oooh, first gen xt octalink cranks for 60$ WITH bb??
    yeah... progress is a wonderful thing, if you can recognize that a good amount of it was refinement and the last generation of products worked great too.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by krismac
    I've got a nice FS and a 26er SS. Completely addicted to ss though and I'm never last up usualy second or first

You have chosen you hill climbing buddies wisely young grasshopper!

I just got back from a short afternoon ride and tried to keep it on one ring (well, at least for one full lap around the hill.) I think I can do a single chain ring to start, then maybe go SS.
    The idea of a sub 20lb bike attracts me the most though!

mtbr member
    Please don't give Specialized credit they don't deserve. Give them props for keeping lawyers well employed during world economic crisis or not knowing how to make a shock - but don't credit them for anything to do with 29ers.

There's little to do with an "idea" wheel size when ss is concerned. If the spare bike has 26" wheels then so be it. If you like it enough and want to go the 29er route then ..... start saving those pennies now.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Ovaries on the Outside

I just got back from a short afternoon ride and tried to keep it on one ring (well, at least for one full lap around the hill.) I think I can do a single chain ring to start, then maybe go SS.
    Just go for it. Geared is geared. Get owned a couple rides and you'll be SSing with a smile.

I have a SS bike and it is not close to 20 lbs. I guess you get what you pay for.

one chain loop
    what's the dilemma again? i was busy staring at the avatar...
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

nothing to see here
    something about fitting airbags to a bike I think
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

smell the saddle...
    Of all the SSers I ride with, only a small percentage is 29ers.

I ride 26 and am in the process of stepping up to 650b front. Just to rebel against the system (since I am arrogant and stubborn like that) I will never ride a 29er. I might go full 650b, but that will have to do. In all seriousness, at my local trail I see more disadvantages to 29er over 650b or 26.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So then, what gear combo's are the 26" crowd using.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    2:1 is a good starting point. you can fine tune the gear ratio to your application, strength, terrain, etc.

my 26er is geared to 32:15 and my 29er has a White Double/Double which you can switch between 34:16 (road) and 31:19 (trail) by simply sliding the chain over to the other gearset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It depends on your strength, riding style, and terrain, but 32x18 is a pretty versatile gearing.

I got my start in single speed when I upgraded my XC bike's frame, then built up the old frame using the parts bin and a cheap DMR conversion kit. I was very skeptical, but after the first ride I was utterly hooked and the new geared frame never saw any use until I hung my single speed parts on it.

I fully endorse your avatar.

mtbr member
    I'm using 36/17 on my 26" but it's not very hilly 'round here. I gradually cut down on changing gear on my geared bike until I found the highest gear I could just about make it everywhere I commonly go. That was 36/17.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    go ride your geared bike (on terrain of choice) in the hardest single combo you can push.
    that would be a good starting point.
    the wheel size, chainring, cog, and crank arm length all will affect 'gear ratio'.

SS riders generally become stronger (and faster) due to the nature of the pedal/walk dilemma.
    SS will boost your geared riding, but you may find that you suddenly lose all of your geared bikes after riding SS.
    however if you decide you hate it (SS), you aren't out any $$.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

smell the saddle...
    That’s a loaded question specific to your local terrain. Way down south we are running 2:2 – 2:4. I’m running 38-16 and I can probably handle more. I can climb a good bit with this too. If I rode somewhere with significant elevation and/or lots of climbing I would get closer to 2:2.
    Last edited by stumonky; 05-20-2010 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run 32/18 on my 26", there's a pretty healthy bit of climbing involved everywhere I ride and walking is more irritating to me than spinning out on the flats. I tried SS for the same reasons, had an old frame, a bunch of parts and just enough curiosity to plunk down the $20 for a tensioner and actually build the thing. It's a nice change of pace and makes some of my old done-to-death rides interesting again. I still ride my squishy geared bike ~60-70% of the time though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm 45 riding 32-20 on a rigid bike.
    I'm currently building another 26er with a shock. I plan to make the rigid bike for commuter friendly by making it a 32-16. the other I will make a 32-20 or18 depending on how it rides for me.
    Just make the switch over to SS. I'm in much better shape and the spending on parts is WAY down. The cost of new parts was one of the reason's I went to SS. IT's way more fun then gears and less headaches.

local trails rider
    Last weekend I saw a weird sight: a guy in full roadie lycra gear riding a penny farthing on a bike path: two different centuries having a collision He was clearly doing it voluntarily, so maybe you have something there.

Me, I am 176 cm and around 100 kg, and I like to ride 26" singlespeeds. I have two now: one geared for trails, one more for the streets.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I'm pushing 49 soon and most of the rides I have been doing are steepish climbs, with bombing descent. I am not great at spinning, preferring to mash a bit.

This weekend we have a 45 miler planned (ending near a bike shop) when that ride is over (barring any emergency rooms visits) I'll check out the extra parts I need.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Thatís a loaded question specific to your local terrain. Way down south we are running 2:2 Ė 2:4. Iím running 38-16 and I can probably handle more. I can climb a good bit with this too. If I rode somewhere with significant elevation and/or lots of climbing I would get closer to 2:2.

dang, you run 2:2?!? that's the same as 1:1. that's hardcore!!!! you must spin out even on the uphills!

mtbr member
    Nice rack!!!

AOF
    mtbr member

always dye my hair!)
    I started doing exactly that, convert an old 26er to SS.
    5 years later I have 2 29er SS, one is rigid, the other has front squish.

You have been warned, it (SS-ing) is addictive.
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by adoble
    Nice rack!!!
    What rack are we talking about?

mtbr member
    Having just switched out the frame on one of my XC bikes, my friend at the shop suggested I use one of my old rigs and build up a 26" SS bike.
    I ride a 26er single speed now... it's great!

I am neither short nor light (5'10 165lbs.)
    Hey, you and I are almost the same (5'11" 165lbs)

The only reason I'm even thinking about it is that I already own just about everything for the build. So, I'm thinking I might as well give it a go.
    That's what prompted me to do it: hmm, I have the stuff

I can build a uber light rig using old parts, possibly under 20lbs?
    Heck, I even have a SIDS fork lying around.
    Mine isn't under 20 pounds, but at 22 pounds it feels light enough to me. It too, has a RockShox SID fork

Why should or why shouldn't I bother?
    Why you should: you have the stuff and it sounds like you have an interest

Why you should not: um, you might like it a lot and sell everything else?

It would be a 'spare' bike for sure.
    I thought that about mine. It is now my primary bike.
    Too many bicycles to list...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    That's cause you race on groomed bike paths.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Depends on your riding style.

I was pre-riding the Winsted Woods race course last night and ran across a guy running a 32x23 (36" gear) on an old MB1, and I was running a 32x19 on my 29'er (49" gear).
    When I was on 26" wheels, 32x16 was my go to gear, but bust open a cassette, and experiment until you find what you like.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009

I use to be the slowest when i switched over to SS but i guess i just put in a whole hella of alot more miles to get my legs up to pair. My bike is at 22 and it could go lighter with a new front and a better crank, a good seat would be nice to! SS = + + x at the end of the day (i'm 5'6 and 160lb)
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    dang, you run 2:2?!? that's the same as 1:1. that's hardcore!!!! you must spin out even on the uphills!
    Alex, I know you steers from Spring, TX aren't too edumucated, here's a gear ratio tutorial for you.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    That's cause you race on groomed bike paths.
    you're forgetting i grew up riding in your area.... Southern California trails > Connecticut trails

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20

I guess hes a trial rider
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

CB2
    Jam Econo
    you're forgetting i grew up riding in your area.... Southern California trails > Connecticut trails
    Oh, I remember, but I think you might have forgotten about the rocks, and roots.
    We also have a meteorological phenomenon known as rain, which cause another phenomenon called mud.
    But it's all good, I'd love a change of scenery and the chance to climb for an uninterrupted hour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Alex, I know you steers from Spring, TX aren't too edumucated, here's a gear ratio tutorial for you.
    2:2 is a ratio, 2.2 is a decimal representing a ratio (2.2:1 or 35.2x16)

One of those values makes sense in this context, the other not so much.

How's that for a tutorial

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Oh, I remember, but I think you might have forgotten about the rocks, and roots.
    We also have a meteorological phenomenon known as rain, which cause another phenomenon called mud.
    But it's all good, I'd love a change of scenery and the chance to climb for an uninterrupted hour.
    while we dont have many roots, we definitely have more rocks and huge ruts. And while we dont have mud, we do have sand and DG, which is similar in traction.
    Here's where i'll be riding this weekend.

And all those pictures Aquaholic posts in every thread with him jumping off rocks is also proof we have them
    But yes, i do miss some of the scenery of back east. Early Spring or late Fall are pretty nice over there..not too cold, but you're not sweating your balls off in the humidity.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I'm heading off for a 'urban epic.' A four hour run through San Diego's coastal reserves. From what I gather there will be a couple of SS out on this ride.
    We will see how they do.

Members who have read this thread: 0