And So It Begins....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

And So It Begins....

Just finished my first singlespeed build to test the waters and see how I like it.

Here is what the bike looked like in 1999:

And after all that time the red became pink the black grey, and the yellow a hideous pastel. So yesterday the project started. The paint was stripped, her body was caressed with very fine steel wool, then rubbed down with mothers aluminum polish before I bathed her in mineral spirits and covered her in clear coat. Some of the parts were already on her, and others were pulled from the box-o-parts. The only things still remaining from the original are the frame, bar-ends, and seatpost.

I think she may be the most beatiful bike I have ever seen. I had to wheel her into my class this morning because I forgot my bike lock, and on the way out heard someone mutter "is that a homemade bike??? look at the welds and stuff". Haha silly people. Anyway, here she is, sorry for the poor qual pic, I was too excited to take my time.

I do have some concerns about the old aluminum frame (and my now voided warranty) but she has served me well, and this is a cheap way for me to test the ss waters, if I like it a steel frame will be on its way. Sorry for the poor image host, I didn't want to create a new account.

Will
    Last edited by WilderRidgeFish; 11-03-2006 at 06:33 PM.

E !

looks alot better

Cool bike. Nice work on the frame. How long did it take you to do that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    After the parts were removed from the frame I just peeled the stickers off, which took off the paint below it. The rest I removed with aircraft paint remover. After the first spray I decided to never use that awful stuff again. I sprayed it on and the paint blistered instantly, when I brushed off the paint(which came off very easily) the specks of paint that landed on my skin burnt very badly. They didn't leave marks, but it was like pin points of fire on my arms. The rest I removed with a stainless steel brush and a razor blade. Then I went over it quickly with 0000 very fine steel wool which got a little more shine out of it, then the mothers polish brought more shine out. The picture is a little decieving as the paint is not chrome, but shiny silver, and you can see some of the texture of the aluminum.

Overall time to prep the frame:
    2hrs paint removal
    less than 10 mins steel wooling
    15 mins polishing
    then just clear-coating and letting it dry

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by WilderRidgeFish
    Some of the parts were already on her, and others were pulled from the box-o-parts. The only things still remaining from the original are the frame, bar-ends, and seatpost.
    Did you just get those Paul Brakes and Levers off of eBay? I saw a set just like that about two weeks ago.....

No matter where you gottem, they are nice.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sharp eye, but no I didn't get the brakes off ebay, though I did see that set on there. I got these Paul brakes (a Crosstop 2 and a Canti) and the Avid SD 2.0 levers for my birthday when I was 14, I had no idea what I had my hands on at the time. Sadly the Canti has faded to pink, but the levers and Crosstop look almost like new.

Got Mojo?
    Paul stuff is very nice. And is a nice touch to your ride.

I had a couple of bids in on that set. I don't need them, I just wanted them. But they went for a good price.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

I wear two thongs
    Ive got a friend who still rides his procaliber from 99 in stock form (except for things that wear out over time of course) its been extremely loyal to him over the years. I predict you still have some good life on that frame as he beats the snot out of his and its still kicking.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

gimme friction
    Is that a Paragon?

A buddy has recently SS'd his old Paragon (same color scheme), and he's loving it. Except for the stock RS fork. But the bike is light and rock-solid.

Seems like a great second life for a worthy old friend.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member

just an FYI

Nice job on the old Fisher... looks really nice.

You might already know this, but that frame can be run 32x16 using a half-link and no tensioner. I had the same frame and rode this combo for a couple of years.. no issues.

A 'cleaner' look than a tensioner, but you are stuck with that one gear. At least until you figure out ther 'magic gears'

Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah its a 99 Paragon. I think I may try putting the 16t cog (on in the picture) back on when I move to a flatter area, right now I need the 18t thats on there. The problem with the 18t is is the chain is about 2mm short of letting me remove another link, so there is lots of extra chain and the tensioner wouldn't hold in push down mode. Also my tensioner is pretty crappy, anyone have relatively cheap recommendations for a tensioner that can work in pull up or push down?

Members who have read this thread: 0