The name's Norm...

New question here. Snow Summit: SS or Gearie?

Riding Snow Summit this Saturday. Anyone ridden it on SS? This will be my 1st time at Summit on a bike so I was wondering if it is SS'able. I'd rather SS than gearie too!
    The lifts are now costing $10 each ride up and not $25 for the day like it was. I'm planning on one lift up and climbing from there on out.
    So what cha think??
    Norm

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maSSpayne
    Riding Snow Summit this Saturday. Anyone ridden it on SS? This will be my 1st time at Summit on a bike so I was wondering if it is SS'able. I'd rather SS than gearie too!
    The lifts are now costing $10 each ride up and not $25 for the day like it was. I'm planning on one lift up and climbing from there on out.
    So what cha think??
    Norm
    Raced it SS in the past. The traditional Snow Summit loop but counter clock-wise. It's not as bad as you might think. I used 34/18 gearing.

mtbr member

Don't even bother

given them the $10. Just ride up. Call it extra credit! If you wanna buy something, get a burger and a beer at the top.
    Ride up on the left side. I think that is north.

giddy up!
    It's an ideal single speed area in my head. The climbs aren't too steep and there aren't many long flats.

I would forget about riding the lift and start climbing. I'd say go up fern and then pirates...makes for a fun climb.

In all seriousness, I would forget about the resort and get yourself a map...there are soo many great trails that aren't part of the resort.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    damn Norm...I'm still bummed i can't join you and Tim out there.

have fun!!!

Kam (headed to norcal for a week on sat.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You can also ride....

On the other side of the lake. I live in Big Bear and Im a singlespeeder.
    The Snow Summit side of the lake has great riding and some fine singletrack if you know where to go, but the other side of the lake has better terrain suited for a singlespeed..IMO.
    A good loop I do starts up Van Dusen Canyon then left on Holcomb Valley road to where road T's, turn right for about an 1/8 of a mile then another left to 3N14 over Delamar Mtn, for about for a about 3-4 miles with some fairly steep climbs, down to to Rim of the World drive( where 3N14, T's into) then right for about a half mile to Hanna Flat Campground, go to camp space #51 to the Grout Bay Trail, which is one of the best singletracks in BB. The trail ends at a "day use area" on Hwy 38.
    From there take either the hwy back to Snow Summit or if you what more offroad mileage and more climbing, head east on the hwy till you reach the town of Fawnskin. Turn back onto Rim of the World drive (near fire station) climb back to 3N14, then right onto 2N71. On 2N71, you will come across a road after about 4 miles (Polique Cyn) you can either drop back to the hwy or you can pass it up and the road will come onto Holcomb Valley road again to retrace your steps.

I know this sounds confusing and my directions may be somewhat hard to follow, but this is a preety cool 35 mile ride. If your not sure about this ride or any other, stop at Bear Valley Bikes and talk to Derek, he knows the trails real well.

mtbr member

Shhhhh!

Shoosh. What are you doing? Now everybody knows.
    Is too late to edit the post?

[QUOTE=Jeff Hurricane]On the other side of the lake. I live in Big Bear and Im a singlespeeder.
    The Snow Summit side of the lake has great riding and some fine singletrack if you know where to go, but the other side of the lake has better terrain suited for a singlespeed..IMO.
    A good loop I do starts up Van Dusen Canyon then left on Holcomb Valley road to where road T's, turn right for about an 1/8 of a mile then another left to 3N14 over Delamar Mtn, for about for a about 3-4 miles with some fairly steep climbs, down to to Rim of the World drive( where 3N14, T's into)
    From there take either the hwy back to Snow Summit or if you what more offroad mileage and more climbing, head east on the hwy till you reach the town of Fawnskin. Turn back onto Rim of the World drive (near fire station) climb back to 3N14, then right onto 2N71. On 2N71, you will come across a road after about 4 miles (Polique Cyn) you can either drop back to the hwy or you can pass it up and the road will come onto Holcomb Valley road again to retrace your steps.

The name's Norm...

Thanks for the info, guys!

Gonna go SS for sure!
    Also gonna take Brian's advice and get me a map of the area from Bear Valley Bikes.
    And Jeff, that seems like an awesome ride! I just might have to get with you on that in the future if that's cool.
    And Kam, wish you could have made it. Would have been fun seeing Tim trying to keep up with us!! I already PM'd Ben and he had already made plans. We'll get together and do a Santa Monica ride.
    I'll be taking pics, too!!
    N

mtbr member
    I’ll be up there all weekend. There are some great trails off the north shore. It’s all good on an SS. It’s no problem running 32-17 on most of the trails.

Steamroller

Rumor or Truth?

I heard two guys talking just this afternoon at the LBS, that Snow Summit is now closed to all bikes, not just DH bikes like previously announced. One of the guys was up there yesterday and a Ranger asked him if he was planning to ride on the mountain. He said he just had, the Ranger told him it was closed to all bikes indefinately. He said all you can ride are the dirt roads, no trails. This is definately hear-say, I don't know the guy who was talking, but he seemed ligit. He also metioned that all planned races were off for the near future at least. Can anybody confirm this for sure......not more hear-say?
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Snow Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I heard two guys talking just this afternoon at the LBS, that Snow Summit is now closed to all bikes, not just DH bikes like previously announced. One of the guys was up there yesterday and a Ranger asked him if he was planning to ride on the mountain. He said he just had, the Ranger told him it was closed to all bikes indefinately. He said all you can ride are the dirt roads, no trails. This is definately hear-say, I don't know the guy who was talking, but he seemed ligit. He also metioned that all planned races were off for the near future at least. Can anybody confirm this for sure......not more hear-say?

Right now Snow Summit is open. The shareholders wanted to close it to biking because of the risk of a lawsuit, since SS is being sued for some DH guy who crashed and is now paralyzed.
    Team Big Bear is threatening to sue and the owner, Dick Kun wants biking to stay.
    Keep posted on teambigbear.com