Snapped Sachs Powerlink- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Snapped Sachs Powerlink

Anyone else in the board ever snap a Powerlink? I have used them for a few years with no problem whatsoever, but today during a steep climb I snapped one into 4 pieces. When I changed it out on the trail, I had every intention of putting the pieces into my pack, take a picture, and post it on the board, but unfortunately, I forgot it on the trail, for those who are like myself and are visually inclined, sorry It was an interesting break too, it occured on the "flat part" where the two links snap together, guess this is the weakest part of the link. <pun intended> A fellow singlespeeder who was behind me and witnessed the incident says to me, "you aren't running a SS chain?!". My reply, "No, the chain rubs against the rock guard". The rest of the ride I was skiddish about powering on the cranks in fear of the replacement powerlink snapping...it didn't. I only weigh about 160 pounds and was using an 8 speed chain and powerlink (PC-58?). Do you think I should make the switch to a SS chain? What do most SS'ers use? The only SS chains I know of are 1/8", does anyone make a burlier 3/32" chain that won't break my wallet?

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Anyone else in the board ever snap a Powerlink? I have used them for a few years with no problem whatsoever, but today during a steep climb I snapped one into 4 pieces.
    Curious... how old was that particular link? Four years? Or newer? I've used Powerlinks ever since I started singlespeeding (three years) and have had no problems. I'm still using the same ones. Because I change gears infrequently (anything from 34x17 to 34x20) and utilize an EBB, I often have two Powerlinks installed at the same time (34x19 or 34x20). I just take the "extra" one out when I run a shorter chain. Anyway, like I said, no problems -- even with two in the same chain.

Hope you didn't smack your sack.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

ballbuster

I'd call it a fluke...

I've been using Powerlinks for years, as have almost everybody I ride with. I have never even heard of somebody snapping the Powerlink.

I would also add that SS specific chanins are the same as gearie chains, only wider to fit BMX cogs, FWIU (and ICBW). I have heard a lot of folks on this board say that it's best to run the narrowest chain you can get away with for SS to help keep the chian from jumping.

One gear to rule them all
    I have been running power links on all of my bikes both geared and SS ever since the power link came out. I can't remember the year. I have Never broken a sedis, sachs, or sram chain, or a power link. Sh!tmano chains, now thats a different story. I am really good about keeping my chain clean, and I check it often for wear. I replace my chain on average of twice a year, including the power link. I never re-use an old power link. Maybe that was the problem, or maybe the chain was just toast? How long did you run the power link before it broke?

mtbr member
    Yep, also busted chain sideplates as well. I had a rash of breaks about 2 years ago on SRAM chains.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Sprocket size

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Anyone else in the board ever snap a Powerlink? I have used them for a few years with no problem whatsoever, but today during a steep climb I snapped one into 4 pieces.
    I have a question: How big chainring and rear cog you have been using?

Use bigger sprockets if you want the chain last longer. Chain tension is inversely proportional to sprocket size.

The largest SS-freewheels in the market are White Industries 23T freewheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolas
    I have a question: How big chainring and rear cog you have been using?

Use bigger sprockets if you want the chain last longer. Chain tension is inversely proportional to sprocket size.

The largest SS-freewheels in the market are White Industries 23T freewheels.
    I was using a 32:17 setup. The chain is about 3 months old and has not passed the stretch limit for replacement yet...which I think is 1/16" in 12" of chain. Like Sparty, I often use more than one Powerlink in a chain at once, however was not doing that when this failure occured. I often re-use powerlinks and keep a stash of them in my pack for emergencies. It is possible that the link may have been a few years old, which could explain its failure. The side plates are made of a brittle material, therefore they will have a limited fatique life, which may explain the uncommon failure. Thanks for the testimony on the links guys, I will be able to hammer the cranks with confidence again. In the future, I think I will use all new Powerlinks with a new chain.

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams