Small singlespeed crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Small singlespeed crank

Does anybody make a single 24-tooth (or 22) chainring crank? I realize I can simply use a triple mtb crank and take off the outer two chainrings, but I don't really want to do that. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bikes not Bombs.....

White industries Eno goes down to 32T

Quote Originally Posted by Buonarroti
    Does anybody make a single 24-tooth (or 22) chainring crank? I realize I can simply use a triple mtb crank and take off the outer two chainrings, but I don't really want to do that. Thanks for any suggestions.

You might be able to get a spider for straight pipe cranks like profiles or cook brothers and install a 24T or 22T. Not sure if anybody make a single ring for XTR's that small?

All the others I have seen are BMX related and usually have 122mm and wider Q factors for the BB.

This may not help with your chainline unless you plan on placing the cog right next to the lockring. This may present a problem with the cog hitting chain stay.

Avid made a chain ring adapter many years ago to allow a super low ring in the front, but most compact drive systems can now utlize a 20T.

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    After doing several bike tours, I realized that I can get away with using just a single 22 or 24 teeth crank up front and a 11x32 cassette in the back. The highest gear would be about 50 inches, which is way plenty for me since I tour at a slow pace with panniers. Thus, I can get rid of the front shifter, cable, front derailleur, and just have a simple one chainring crank - sort of like what single-speeders use, but with a much smaller ring. I'm thinking I could set the chainline right in the middle of the rear cog and not have too much crossover. You think that's a good idea? I'd be willing to even go with a child's crank or BMX, provided it's Shimano-level quality.
    Last edited by Buonarroti; 03-19-2004 at 01:26 AM.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

options

that small a chainring will take a toll on the chain and the little chainring. you'll also have a little more friction compared to using a larger ring.
    a 28t steel granny ring on a standard bcd crank would make more sense; with a 34t large cog in back you'd have a decent climbing gear, my double crank setup uses a 29/34t low and I get up stuff just fine.
    that said. I've made what you seek from a 58/94mm compact triple by just hacksawing off the middle/big spider arms and then filing until it looks purty. easily done.
    I have a trials crank with just a 58mm bolt circle here, but it's got 170mm arms, probably too short for your use, that I could be persuaded to part with.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Buonarroti
    A Trials crankset would be one option...

http://webcyclery.com/.docs/product_...t_details.html
    http://webcyclery.com/.docs/product_...t_details.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. In addition to the Truvativ cranks, here's another one I've seen, although it only comes in a 32 tooth:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/k...s&ModelID=3348

This sort of crank is exactly what I'm looking for: clean look, one-piece, and no excess machining. Too bad it only comes in 32 teeth. BTW, can "trial cranks" handle daily use?