Slow rear wheel removal...ideas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Slow rear wheel removal...ideas?

I have to pull both wheels to get my Hardrock SS into the trunk. Tensioner is a derailleur mounted Godspeed (or similar). Pulling the rear wheel off of my geared bikes is quick and easy. On my SS, I have to remove the skewer and take the chain off the ring and the cog and even then it ain't easy. I am thinking about a BB mounted tensioner but a Blackspire has only a 40T capacity and I am running 46x18 (not many steep hills!). Bike stays in the car everyday just in case I can squeeze in a ride, so leaving the bike with wheels on a trunk mount carrier is out. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Any way of tweaking the gearing to get the same gear inches with a different combo, enabling the stinger to be used? I am too lazy to figure it out for you, sorry.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB12 View Post
    I have to pull both wheels to get my Hardrock SS into the trunk.
    Unless you've an entourage of ss groupies, I'd have a go at the back seat. Drop the front wheel & throw that skanky "picnic" blanket underneath to protect the shaggin' wagon (passenger seat stowed in the forward-most position to allow room for handlebars.)

meh... whatever
    yess etr-b tensioner. linky

not sure if it will take a 46t. if not, then change gearing. 38x15 will give you the same gear inch you're running now.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great ideas all. I'm a little concerned about the reduced ground clearance of a stinger or that sweeeet yess. I don't know of anyone running either rig. Anyone care to comment on ground clearance of those? Or, can these be run on the top side of the ring instead of the bottom??

The one thing I do know is that SS is freakin addictive. My Rush is collecting dust and I am dusting everyone on the trail. Really pisses em off when they see SS!

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB12 View Post
    Great ideas all. I'm a little concerned about the reduced ground clearance of a stinger or that sweeeet yess. I don't know of anyone running either rig. Anyone care to comment on ground clearance of those? Or, can these be run on the top side of the ring instead of the bottom??
    i've run the yess on a few different frames. no reduced ground clearance or contact problems going over stuff. in depth review here.

local trails rider
    Stinger: I have one on my Chromag: 34/18 and a little chain to take up. The roller is pretty well tucked in. Never an issue even going slowly over logs where bashring and rear tyre contact the obstacle.

On the other bike, I have a Rennen tensioner that is held on at rear axle and derailer hanger. My approach has been to unbolt it from the derailer hanger for wheel removal.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    i've run the yess on a few different frames. no reduced ground clearance or contact problems going over stuff. in depth review here.
    Hey monogod,

Great review. I take it you still run one? You specifically mentioned chain length in your review. Why does their site show so much extra chain wrap? Would you say this is not optimal, but usable this way?

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Hey monogod,

Great review. I take it you still run one? You specifically mentioned chain length in your review. Why does their site show so much extra chain wrap? Would you say this is not optimal, but usable this way?
    yeah, using it on a kona tiki but it doesn't go off road. i ran it on a superfly frame for quite a while and was very, very pleased with it. i can honestly say i've had zero complaints with this product.

interestingly enough, when i wrote that review they didn't have that diagram on their website or in the package insert. just had a picture of the tensioner on the website and came by itself in a box.

their pic does show a lot of chain wrap, and to me it was not optimal though usable. i found it to slap a little too much for my taste which is why i ran it with a little less slack. my personal opinion using tensioners with horizontal drops is to get the chain as short as possible, just as one would with an ebb or sliding drops. the tensioner is simply to take out whatever slack is then left.

however, if you wanted to leave enough slack to change out cogs for different terrain/trails/races you could do so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Use this:
    Trickstuff

Members who have read this thread: 0