Slipping- Mtbr.com

Thread: Slipping

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Slipping

Hey guys so I just converted my mountain bike into a singlespeed. I put a brand new acs cromoly claws on and a new chain tensioner. Now when I'm riding and I put any extra pressure on the pedals the chain acs slips very loudly and jarring. I don't kow what the problem is, it's tightened all the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    chain's slipping off the cog?! or just lots of noise under pressure?
    could be because the chainline's not straight, under pressure (tighter chain) any misalignment gets amplified and the chain's tension causes more friction (and therefore more noise)

are you running a singlespeed ring (just a non-ramped chainring) or the stock ramped one?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    no the cog is slipping under high pressure, the chain is straight and yes I'm running a singlespeed ring.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by davee930
    no the cog is slipping under high pressure, the chain is straight and yes I'm running a singlespeed ring.
    Could it be that the pawls in your cheap (sorry) ACS freewheel are not engaging fully? ... and therefore slipping?

A White Industries FW could be your answer. Expensive (comparitively) and worth it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Wear compression shorts.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    although that freewheel is very cheaply made and has no seals whatsoever ive never had it slip in fact even when i got it all muddied up the worst that happened is that i locked up and unlock with a bit of lube
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have no idea, the guy at the bike shop gave me that cog and said it's good so I bought it. I guess I'll have to return it then.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by davee930
    I have no idea, the guy at the bike shop gave me that cog and said it's good so I bought it. I guess I'll have to return it then.

if you can post a picture of your set up at different angle we can maybe be able to help you with your conundrum
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    keep that freewheel clean and lubed with triflow. take it off and spray all the gunk out once in a while and re-lube it. it's not a great freewheel, but it should be ok if you keep it clean.

WWYD?
    How about chain wrap? The chain should wrap around the back sprocket with at least a third or more of the teeth. Not enough teeth, not enough contact. You'll need to adjust the tensioner (moving it up towards the chain stay) so the chain contacts enough of the cog. I've used a ziptie through the tensioner and around the chainstay to get it right.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    How about chain wrap? The chain should wrap around the back sprocket with at least a third or more of the teeth. Not enough teeth, not enough contact. You'll need to adjust the tensioner (moving it up towards the chain stay) so the chain contacts enough of the cog. I've used a ziptie through the tensioner and around the chainstay to get it right.
    I'll bet you're right on with this suggestion. For some reason I missed the OP's comment about it being a conversion employing a tensioner. Good call.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0