Slightly OT - Frog II Cleats- Mtbr.com
    pedalphile

New question here. Slightly OT - Frog II Cleats

I'm planning on converting my Bontrater Privateer to a SS, but something got in the way...

My knee got really messed up, probably from a combination of factors including overuse, not stretching enough, snowboarding, etc etc. But I think by far the biggest factor in messing up my knee was getting a new pair of pedals - Shimano 959's. I really don't think my knee had as big a problem before.

So... Before I can continue with the conversion, I need to find pedals that will help my knees. (I'm in PT 3 times/wk by the way).

Apparently Frogs are the way to go, but a bunch of people posted bad reviews of their "new" Frog II cleat. As someone who knows very little about this stuff, it's hard to tell if there's merit to these complaints. They're really expensive... Anyone know about the new Frogs? I'm inclined to think there's nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, I'm really anxious to get better, get back on my bike, and get on with my SS conversion! Any feedback would help a lot - Thanks.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

mtbr member
    I've had f'ed up knees for years, and never one knee problem due to my Frogs. I am one that posted about the "2" cleats, but I use original "1" pedals that are brown/butterscoth colored.

My new bike will have brand new Frogs, with Frog 2 cleats and I can't even think of not using them. It will take you only a few rides to be fully accustomed to the Frog, no spring, feeling and then your knee/pedal issues will be off the menu of things to worry about.

By the way, inject grease in them, which is easy, and they last... they're worth the $130.

pedalphile

Thanks

Thanks for your input. Sorry you've got messed up knees too - Sounds like you're still riding!

It's good to hear more testimony about the new Frogs. Guess I'll take the plunge. Now which chain tensioner / eccentric BB / eccentric hub to buy is an entirely different question.... more research...

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I've had f'ed up knees for years, and never one knee problem due to my Frogs. I am one that posted about the "2" cleats, but I use original "1" pedals that are brown/butterscoth colored.

My new bike will have brand new Frogs, with Frog 2 cleats and I can't even think of not using them. It will take you only a few rides to be fully accustomed to the Frog, no spring, feeling and then your knee/pedal issues will be off the menu of things to worry about.

By the way, inject grease in them, which is easy, and they last... they're worth the $130.
    Hmmm. Haven't read what your problem is, but are you sure it is nothing to do with the fact that you're using Frog cleats with what sounds like a v.old Magnum pedal? Even if compatibility isn't an issue, surely the old pedals are pretty worn by now - the "mushroom" or metal ring on the pedal does get worn with use.

Probably not, as I guess Speedplay would have told you that when you contacted them if it was a problem.
    Wibble

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Dedicated Speedplay freak here

All 5 of my bikes have Speedplays (3 frogs and 2 X-1ís) I wouldnít ride anything else and my knees thank me for it. I have old cleats on my winter shoes and new cleats on my summer shoes. I cant tell any difference in the two cleats at all. If anything the new ones are a little stiffer to get into the first 2 days then no difference. I have been through 2 sets of the new cleats and probably 6-8 sets of the old style. I donít know whats up with the negative reviews but I wouldnít worry about them.

Two Frog suggestions. Grease the spindles through the grease ports fairly often like every couple months. Grease the surface of the cleat with a waxy grease like a White lightining make sure you rub the grease into the cracks all around the little spring part. Greasing the cleats with a wax fills up all the little crevices around the stop so grit wont get in as much an muck up the operation.

I have 1 set of frogs I have been riding for 8 years and they are still going strong. With proper maintenance they last forever under normal agro XC type riding.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    I'm planning on converting my Bontrater Privateer to a SS, but something got in the way...

My knee got really messed up, probably from a combination of factors including overuse, not stretching enough, snowboarding, etc etc. But I think by far the biggest factor in messing up my knee was getting a new pair of pedals - Shimano 959's. I really don't think my knee had as big a problem before.

So... Before I can continue with the conversion, I need to find pedals that will help my knees. (I'm in PT 3 times/wk by the way).

Apparently Frogs are the way to go, but a bunch of people posted bad reviews of their "new" Frog II cleat. As someone who knows very little about this stuff, it's hard to tell if there's merit to these complaints. They're really expensive... Anyone know about the new Frogs? I'm inclined to think there's nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, I'm really anxious to get better, get back on my bike, and get on with my SS conversion! Any feedback would help a lot - Thanks.
    I have problems with my right knee. I used to run Frogs, but got fed up with the new cleat design. I've heard that they switched back to the old design (I don't know if this is accurate - but would recommend checking it out before you invest in a pair). I switched over to eggbeaters about 4 months ago and my knees actually feel better than they did with the Frogs.

You're knees will probably be happy with either.

pedalphile

eggbeaters and frogs

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    I have problems with my right knee. I used to run Frogs, but got fed up with the new cleat design. I've heard that they switched back to the old design (I don't know if this is accurate - but would recommend checking it out before you invest in a pair). I switched over to eggbeaters about 4 months ago and my knees actually feel better than they did with the Frogs.

You're knees will probably be happy with either.
    Hm, frogs and eggbeaters. Eww.

Yeah maybe I'll just give some shops a call and find out if the old cleat can be had. Frankly, if I could get a new pair of Frogs with the old cleat, I'd do it right now, if my boss wheren't looking over my sho uh oh...