mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Slight homage to Rainman...

I snuck out for a single-speed ride today (total newbie). I rode my Schwinn Moab with gears, since all my parts for conversion aren't here yet (some are even back-ordered). Here are some stats:

32x21 gearing, which is about 41 gear inches of pain

3 coyotees (although 1 was likely a repeat) The first one wasn't scared of me, but I was scared enough of him to not stop climbing up a long steep section. Ouch!

2.4 lungs coughed up

2 major and 6 minor heart attacks

felt like puking at least twice

1 blown quad (right)

1 blown knee (left)

tired feet = both

total time of 62 minutes

total time gasping for breath = 52 minutes

1 smile of self-satisfaction

I still think that hardest part of SS riding is not the steep climbs (you can either do them or walk), but the slight inclines after a hard climb (and elsewhere) where if you try and sit down you won't move...

Out spokin'

One of the beauties...

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    ... I still think that hardest part of SS riding is not the steep climbs (you can either do them or walk), but the slight inclines after a hard climb (and elsewhere) where if you try and sit down you won't move...
    ...of singlespeeding regularly. Eventually you'll discover that you've gained the ability to climb while out of the saddle for extended periods.

Like, miles.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ...of singlespeeding regularly. Eventually you'll discover that you've gained the ability to climb while out of the saddle for extended periods.

Like, miles.

--Sparty
    How right you are Sparty. I'm reminded of the story of Cindy Whitehead breaking a seatpost or saddle 1 mile into a 50 mile race. She stood up for 49 miles, and won, if memory serves (subject to correction). This happened at least ten years ago. Simply amazing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    How right you are Sparty. I'm reminded of the story of Cindy Whitehead breaking a seatpost or saddle 1 mile into a 50 mile race. She stood up for 49 miles, and won, if memory serves (subject to correction). This happened at least ten years ago. Simply amazing!
    That's crazy! I can tell it'll be a long time before I can do anything remotely like that.

I will say that it doesn't matter too much what kind of saddle I use, since I'm hardly ever on it...

Reviewer/Tester

Smile Words of Wisdom...

Ahhhhh.... the pain and joy of SS'ing.

I'm climbing stuff now that I couldn't before, and i'm enjoying it..

Of course you will ache and your body will complain bitterly about the agony, but it will get better...it just takes time.

My personal struggle against gravity and old age is an ongoing one, but I will never give in or give up, as long as I can keep on riding, I will continue to do so.

************************************************** ********************************************

Many years ago, when I was a young man, I spent some time in hospital. I won't relate it all here, but I was very depressed and felt like giving up because of what had happened to me.

An old guy who was in the bed beside me listened to me complain about my injury, and how I was so badly off.

One afternoon, as I was sitting in a wheelchair beside his bed, complaining as usual about how my life was finished and how unfair everything was, he suddenly turned to me, grabbed me by my pyjama top collar, and dragged me close to his face so that he was eye to eye with me.

He said to me..these words..

"Don't you ever say that you are going to give up...never ever give up, never ever give in, fight to the very end, if you are going to go down, then go down fighting.
    You are young and fit, you will recover from this. Stop your whining and complaining and feeling sorry for yourself. You have your whole life ahead of you.
    Don't you ever let me hear you complain again, you need to pull yourself together and start fighting back so that you get well quickly and get out of here. Just never give up."

With these words, he let me go again. I was so shocked, I just sat there and thought about what he had said to me. His words had touched me deep inside. I was sixteen years old.

The next morning, when I awoke, his bed was empty. He had died during the night.

I never forgot what he said to me............

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Out spokin'

I didn't originate these words, but I believe in them.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Eventually you'll discover that you've gained the ability to climb while out of the saddle for extended periods.

Like, miles.
    Something must be really wrong w/ me then. I still can't climb out of the saddle for extended periods. I must really suck suds

What Would Happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I snuck out for a single-speed ride today (total newbie). I rode my Schwinn Moab with gears, since all my parts for conversion aren't here yet (some are even back-ordered). Here are some stats:

32x21 gearing, which is about 41 gear inches of pain

3 coyotees (although 1 was likely a repeat) The first one wasn't scared of me, but I was scared enough of him to not stop climbing up a long steep section. Ouch!

2.4 lungs coughed up

2 major and 6 minor heart attacks

felt like puking at least twice

1 blown quad (right)

1 blown knee (left)

tired feet = both

total time of 62 minutes

total time gasping for breath = 52 minutes

1 smile of self-satisfaction

I still think that hardest part of SS riding is not the steep climbs (you can either do them or walk), but the slight inclines after a hard climb (and elsewhere) where if you try and sit down you won't move...
    We had three coyotes, forty-one inches of gear, fifty minutes of high-powered heart attacks, a saltshaker half-full of lungs, and a whole multi colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of Schwinn, a quart of Moab, a case of sore feet, a pint of raw gasping, and two dozen smiles. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious bike obsession, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Out spokin'

Give it time...

...I said EVENTUALLY.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    Something must be really wrong w/ me then. I still can't climb out of the saddle for extended periods. I must really suck suds
    disciplesofdirt.org

Wandering not Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    "Don't you ever say that you are going to give up...never ever give up, never ever give in, fight to the very end, if you are going to go down, then go down fighting.
    You are young and fit, you will recover from this. Stop your whining and complaining and feeling sorry for yourself. You have your whole life ahead of you.
    Don't you ever let me hear you complain again, you need to pull yourself together and start fighting back so that you get well quickly and get out of here. Just never give up."

....... The next morning, when I awoke, his bed was empty. He had died during the night.

I never forgot what he said to me............
    R.
    int truth it is easy to ignore the strength and gifts we are granted. The concept of the fight so far from you mind...as you lament in you own demise. Till something strikes you right between the eyes... Moments such as these are what make this thing called life so beautiful. So often in my occupation I am reminded how careless we are with our gifts...how easy it is for me to become apathetic to the blight. But...then to be reminded by the great Winston Churchill : "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give in. Never give in. Never give in. Never give in."

simple and to the point.....that is why we continue to fight that is why we stand when climbing....though your legs whish to buckle you truge on. Pain is a gift that reminds us we are alive....

peace

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    You are not alone. Most people talk about out of saddle riding, but it's not the non-stop hard pedaling where you have to use your full bodyweight to push the pedal and even use your other leg to pull up a little.

I am currently training specifically to increase my ability to do non-stop out of saddle riding. I do this on spinning bikes (they are like fixed bikes) and the tension I use is high enough that I need the full bodyweight to push the pedal down and maintain 40-55 rpm. I am up to 12 minutes straight. It bring my heart rate to 180-185, which at my age (43) is rather hard.

I usually do 45 minute rides of which 20-25 minutes is out of saddle mashing. I want to be ready for SSing next summer and I am willing to train like a madman to avoid walking.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Members who have read this thread: 0