Sliding Vertica Dropouts and Quick Release Skewers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sliding Vertica Dropouts and Quick Release Skewers

Hey Guys,

I'm toying with the SS idea - I think the sliding vertical dropouts is the best solution. No seat height/angle differences from an EBB, no fiddling with disc alignment.

The only question I have is about the width of the dropouts. Looking at a Kona Unit they look a fair bit wider, do quick release skewers reach? Do some frames allow QR use and others not? Are there any QR levers that are extra long and will work?

Cheers, John.

PS. Are sliding vertical dropouts also called paragon dropouts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    ...I think the sliding vertical dropouts is the best solution....do quick release skewers reach?...
    They are a pretty good solution. Opinions vary as to whether the disc mounts should be on the frame or on the sliding part.

QR skewers work fine. In fact this is one of the great features - you can drop your wheel out quicker than on a geared bike - no blingy bits to get in the way.

Take a look at http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...sition=131:131

I've got one of their 29ers with a sliding dropout and it's really good. They go for longer top tubes than most so the bikes handle well on fast downhills and are pleasant to ride.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, I've been looking at some more pictures and I think I must have been going crazy when I thought QR levers wouldn't work. I probably just tried to put a unit stock wheel into another frame with a QR skewer and obviously the bolt-up axle was too long. Now I've put 2 and 2 together sliding verticals it is.

Now, which one - I want the disc tabs on the sliding section, not on the actual frame - I don't like elongated disc tabs. The 2007 Redline Monocog Flight is leading the bunch at the moment. Any others I should be looking at? Does the Redline have the disc tabs on the frame or on the sliding dropout?

I've already got a Scott Scale with discs and tubeless tyres sitting right on 9kg for race day. I want the single speed to be a nice steel frame to have some fun, ride in some local races especially muddy ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ....I want the disc tabs on the sliding section, not on the actual frame ....
    I think you should research that.

There would have to be enormous rotational stresses on the sliding section from a disc brake. It's not as if you have to adjust the disc mount all that often.

That's why I went for a frame mounted disk, but I'm willing to hear evidence to the contrary.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

French for "Suck"
    Unless there's been a big design change, the Monocog doesn't have sliding dropouts. It has a horizontal track-end. QR's won't work well without a chain-tug of some sort.

*edit - There has been a design change, and I am too quick to correct. The Flight versions (AL) of the 26 and 29 monocogs have sliders, the cro-mo versions do not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    check out the voodoo's. I spent the last 3 yrs on converted frames and finally bought a voodoo ss with sliding drops this summer, it's amazing. no singulator, and my discs work perfect; they slide with the drop-out. i am no ss guru and there could be many more frames that are better, but the voodoo wanga seems to be perfect. enjoy

Out spokin'
    ... I want the disc tabs on the sliding section, not on the actual frame - I don't like elongated disc tabs. ...
    I'm with you (although my 2002 Vulture frame utilizes an EBB, which I love). Anyway, disc rotors are round; the wheel's axle should always be at dead center of the rotor. Therefore I always want my disc caliper to mount to the same fixture that the wheel's axle mounts to. I believe that any sliding dropout frame that can handle typical trail riding abuse (minor drops, hammering by roots, rocks, etc.) should easily handle the stresses imposed by the rotational forces of a disc brake.

I've never heard of a frame/sliding dropout failure in this regard, anyway.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Unless there's been a big design change, the Monocog doesn't have sliding dropouts. It has a horizontal track-end. QR's won't work well without a chain-tug of some sort.

*edit - There has been a design change, and I am too quick to correct. The Flight versions (AL) of the 26 and 29 monocogs have sliders, the cro-mo versions do not.
    The 29er Flight isn't AL, it's steel, but a much nicer grade of steel and construction than the regular monocog.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I want the disc tabs on the sliding section, not on the actual frame - I don't like elongated disc tabs.
    For what it's worth, I've never had to adjust my disc brake mounting position when I adjusted the sliders on my Inbred -- in case that's what anyone's worried about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I've never heard of a frame/sliding dropout failure in this regard, anyway.
    --Sparty
    three of our samples did.

"Mr. Britannica"
    as fars as skewers length goes, if nec you could always just get a tandem skewer (longer) and trim to fit

Members who have read this thread: 0