Sliding dropout adjusting screws - Leave them in or take them out?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sliding dropout adjusting screws - Leave them in or take them out?

I'm wondering if you should leave them in (keeping things more secure) or take them out (one less thing for trail debris to snag/break)? I've left them out all season with no problem through a bunch of 50+ mile rides & races, but last weekend I finally experienced a little slippage & tension loss.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    I vote leave them in for the reason you stated above, keep the tension and prevent slippage. I have not had any issues with snags or breaking due to snag. The vines and foliage usually break before any damage to the bike. The trail around Rosaryville and others in the region are pretty well kept.

If you are worried, set your sliders and cut down the bolt or buy a new bolt that is shorter so you have the bolt head snug up against the frame. Or get a setscrew so the end doesn't protrude out.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Or, just add a lockring to prevent the set screws from falling out.
    Guess I'm OCD, as I check / adjust chain tension every few rides.
    Imagine not using the set screws would be much like horizontal dropouts - arrrrgh.

Never trust a fart
    Leave them in. If your worried about breakage, trim them down where they contact the dropout so that the head sits closer to the frame after tightening the lock down nut.

I'm not OCD, but I check the chain tension and any/all bolts on the dropouts every few rides. It's something that should be done anyway. Think of it as a pre or post ride inspection. Just like setting tire pressure/lubing chain/etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks - I like the "leave them in & trim them down" idea!

mtbr member
    My Paragon sliders come with a pair. I found the adjusting screws optional on the drive side and then, only optional when dealing with wheel alignment when I removed the wheel. So the adjusting screws aren't needed on the trail.

One prerequisite to the above! You should be using the current Paragon sliding hardware. The update from the original design is the two-holed washer that creates a larger surface area so when you clamp down the four bolts, maximum pressure and hold is applied on the sliders.

Side note: The majority of track bikes with track ends do not have screws (even my bike with Paul Components track ends do not have set screws) and yet, one is able to properly align the wheel and the wheel doesn't move even under heavy sprinting and continuous high watt output. Track bikes use track nuts which create a larger surface area than an allen key bolt.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    I vote leave them in for the reason you stated above, keep the tension and prevent slippage. I have not had any issues with snags or breaking due to snag. The vines and foliage usually break before any damage to the bike. The trail around Rosaryville and others in the region are pretty well kept.

If you are worried, set your sliders and cut down the bolt or buy a new bolt that is shorter so you have the bolt head snug up against the frame. Or get a setscrew so the end doesn't protrude out.
    Rosaryville is a gem come ride so VA trails you will snag something one way or another, that being said my2 cents is leave them in.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I find the only one that stops slippage is the drive side one, as the other side tends to move away from the screw if it comes loose. I keep them in just for adjustment and to see clearly if they have come loose. Never had any issue with getting caught on anything (I have paragons)

Members who have read this thread: 2