sliding drop outs and wheel centering- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

sliding drop outs and wheel centering

On my new soma bside frame I notice that to get my wheel centered, my drive side slider is adjusted about 1/16" of an inch further rearward than the non drive (left) side slider. The cog appears to be tracking straight. When I built my wheels I got dishing perfect. I used a machinist rule to measure the rim center on dishing and it was spot on. So I don't think this is an issue with an incorrectly dished wheel. What I do is clamp the wheel in making sure it is seated all the way on both sides, then adjust each adjuster bolt to get the proper chain tension and then I set my wheel to center which should be tracking proper since I am certain my wheel centering/dishing is correct. And once everything is locked down, I can see a small portion of the drive side slot showing from the front allen bolt head and on the left side the allen bolt head covers the entire slot so none is showing. If I adjust both sides to be equal by measurement.....then my tire is off center a tad. Not a ton but definitely noticeable. Is this common? Anything to worry about? The bike rides nice. Just don't know if my tire is tracking funny and I don't know it.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's a sweet frame! glad to hear it rides nice. I would assume it is a frame tolerance thing. i have a custom steel frame with paragon sliders that has a similar issue. in fact while riding with a different frame builder he actually pointed out that the rear triangle is slightly out of alignment. he was quick to mention that there is no harm.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I was hoping this was all it was. I wasn't sure how common it was. Thanks for the compliments.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    From what I understand (which isn't much) it is really easy for frames to get out of alignment during welding. If you poke around in he frame building forum you will likely find a few threads about alignment. i am currently helping a friend build up a new bike and the soma is on the short list

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I didn't think too much of it but I am kind of a perfectionist so little things bother me. The other day while riding I noticed my bars were just a tiny bit off from my forks so I had to stop and use my crank brothers tool to adjust my stem...... Yea I know laugh it up lol. Mr OCD Here.

Wanna ride bikes?
    my first bike had the same issue, rear wheel was always a little off center. it never bothered me, i put 3k+ miles on that frame and it never caused a problem.

if it really bothers you, you could contact Soma to see what they say. my guess is that they will say it's normal or within tolerance or to not worry about it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    As a check - have you tried fitting the wheel flipped left to right just to eliminate it (the wheel).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    As a check - have you tried fitting the wheel flipped left to right just to eliminate it (the wheel).
    No I haven't but I know I was very precise when I dished my wheel when building so I know it's centered. I am sure it is frame tolerance. My tire is centered..... I just notice one slider is a tiny bit off from the other slider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    No I haven't but I know I was very precise when I dished my wheel when building so I know it's centered. I am sure it is frame tolerance. My tire is centered..... I just notice one slider is a tiny bit off from the other slider.
    In that case, I'm sure it is the frame - as you said, it's not really worth worrying about.

mtbr member
    If it's the slider tabs on the frame slightly forward/rearward in relation to each other, then adjusting the sliders differently is the correct fix and it's only a cosmetic issue if you look closely at the slider adjustment. You can measure the distance from the slider tabs to the BB or other fixed spot to see if that's the case.

It is also possible that the frame itself is not quite straight. You can check and rule this out by running a string from one dropout around the headtube and back to the other dropout and measuring the distance from the strings to the seat tube. You seem like you care about the cause so this is something you can do to find out what it is.

Bored
    I would also look at he axle/drop out interface to see if the wheel is set in properly, or if one drop out is more open than the other side.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have forkends too. I always align the rear wheel so that the wheel is slightly closer to the drive side chainstay. As I ride it usually adjusts itself slightly so that it is equal distance to both chainstays.

I just did a 61 mile ride with it set up that way and it worked perfectly.

I should also mention I am using halo hex key skewers. They seem to work the best (with xt skewers a close second).