Slider dropouts and boost to not boost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Slider dropouts and boost to not boost

I am considering getting a new hard tail frame that has slider dropouts and boost spacing. I have a non boost wheel that I would like to use. Is this possible? I have seen the hub kits that turn 142s into 148s but I donít think that is needed here. I donít think it is needed because slider drop outs have the disc tabs on them. It seems I could just slap the wheel in and call it done - like Surly does. I do wonder if that fatigues the triangle to much. Another thought would be to put washers between the drop out and the slider to move everything inboard as needed?

What have others done?

Click Click Click
    Get the spacer kit. They are cheap and easy.
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    Get the spacer kit. They are cheap and easy.
    I don't know anything about this. Would you have a link?

mtbr member
    With sliders, it's very possible that the company you buy a frame from will offer a 142 kit if the frame is Boost. I have a very nice wheelset that I wasn't willing to part with, and I was able to purchase a 142 kit with my new Boost Nimble 9 frame directly from Canfield. I have done the same with other frames; Vassago sent me 135 dropouts with a 142 frame, etc.

As for fatigue, I wouldn't worry about that. A few millimeters isn't going to create any amount of noticeable stress on a frame.

Always in the wrong gear
    One of many:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-A...-/252230870077

this ad has a couple options, one that splits 3mm per side, and one that is all 6mm on one side, which requires re-dishing the wheel, but improves spoke bracing angle
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    I don't know anything about this. Would you have a link?
    try this Boost hub spacer kit

I asked Canfield and they said they don't have any more 142mm sliders. maybe they are getting more since the time that i asked, but they seemed uninterested. seems weird for a company that sells a lot of frames, instead of complete bikes, to not continue to produce something that will allow people to purchase their frame and use their old parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Snarky at best - those are all boost kits for hubs. Iíve done that search already. You made it sound like you knew of a specific product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    One of many:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-A...-/252230870077

this ad has a couple options, one that splits 3mm per side, and one that is all 6mm on one side, which requires re-dishing the wheel, but improves spoke bracing angle
    I think this is close. On the sliders I am looking at, the disc tabs are on the drop out. It seems all Iíd need to do would be to use the 3mm washers. Thanks you!

mtbr member
    3mm washers on the sliders to move them inboard is a good theory. you are probably not the first to try that, but I like you outside-the-box thinking. other than the universal spacers that take up the space on the axle and move the rotor outboard, any sliders you have in mind may or may not fit in the frame. since you didn't say anything specific about what frame you have in mind, no one can really tell you much else.

I am 100% certain that your best course of action is to contact the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend.

BTW, the boost thing still pisses me off too. my Hadley hub was not cheap and, if I buy a new frame any time soon, it feels stupid to put half-ass little adapters on a quality hub because the industry decided on an "innovation" that does not benefit me at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A couple years ago I got a new fork for a beyond smoking deal, only problem it was boost. I was not about to chuck my DT240 for 10mm of industry space. The ~$25 Wolftooth adapter kit has been working just fine, not a single issue.

After 6 1/2 years I just built up a new frame last week. I resisted boost for as long as I could, the industry has moved beyond 142, what am I to do? I wasn't about to chuck my DT240 for 6mm. Got another Wolftooth kit for the rear, I'm guessing it'll be just fine too.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/boostinator

As mentioned some brands frames come with various sliders/plates that will fill take up the space and allow you to run your 142mm hubs in what could be deemed a 148mm frame. Salsa and their alternator plates come to mind. As far as I know Paragon unfortunately doesn't make these. I'm sure they easily could and would sell well.

While some may feel the hubs kits to be a little hokey they are a simple and cost effective solution as opposed to buying new hubs and rebuilding new wheels.... IF they work with your hubs.
    @adamalphabet

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    ......my Hadley hub was not cheap and, if I buy a new frame any time soon, it feels stupid to put half-ass little adapters on a quality hub because the industry decided on an "innovation" that does not benefit me at all.

I spoke by email with Erik at Balle Racing over the weekend, Hadley now makes a boost conversion kit (both front 110 and rear 148) that is much better than the loose spacers I linked above. No, it doesn't change the flange width, but it's better than nothing. I've used the spacer kit for a long time and other than being a hassle to chase down a rolling spacer, they work perfectly.

Honestly, if you just be patient, I'd wager you can make the jump to 157 superboost in a few years, which is (IMO) what all MTBs should have been a long time ago.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Ahhh the pain....
    I contacted paragon several months ago about making a set of sliders that allowed me to put a regular 142mm rear wheel in a boost frame w/o any loose parts....seems totally easy and doable...they were not interested. Perhaps the market is just not there? I'm in very similar situation w 2 sets of great carbon wheels and the idea of searching around in the desert for that spacer I dropped after wheel removal just doesn't excite me.

mtbr member
    I too am surprised at how quickly the market abandoned 142 hubs. With all the nice, expensive hubs and frames that are sold for custom builds out there with replaceable, adjustable dropouts, you'd think they would sell more if they would make stuff somewhat flexible in that regard. Trek did that with their ABP design a few years ago and you'd think that any sliding or swinging dropouts would do that.

My next frame purchase is going to be from a company that does not embrace planned obsolescence so readily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This thread can be closed. The frame in question is a RSD Middlechild. They told me to just get a shorter axle. Makes sense since steel is forgiving.

Thank you for all of the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    135mm is regular in my world. My SS Hadley's have been great for the past seven years. I am pissed as well...