Skipping, chain to wide and other singlespeed problems, I need help!- Mtbr.com
    Florida Rider

Skipping, chain to wide and other singlespeed problems, I need help!

I got all my stuff to gether to go single speed, new cranks, new chainwheel, single speed kit and chain. Ive spent about three painful weeks with my LBS trying to get it put together but they are being ****ing idiots and cant figure it out.

Apparently the shadow interlock v2 chain is too wide for the spacers on the gusset double six single speed kit I got and it rubs on them, thus making the chain lift up and skip and They didnt think I could run it so they put some shitty chain on it and that skips too, what a *****. So should I dremel the spacers down a bit and then the chain will fit or what? This has been an experience from hell so I need some help here, I actually want to ride my bike!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Get a bigger cog
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Florida Rider
    cant/dont want to. This is a dj/street bike and I want to keep the drive train as small as possible, running 25:12 right now and the cog I have in the back came with the gusset kit so I dont get what the problem is....

Edit: On further inspection I think that my LBS may have put the spacers for the gusset kit on backwards/in wrong order. Anyone got a pic of it setup correctly?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    shiggy is right.. the solutions is a bigger cog... however I think you could try placing the spacers with the "shortest side" toward the cog (usually the tall side of the spacer is against the cog)... I still think a 12 T is way too small

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by atomrcrkhsbiker
    cant/dont want to. This is a dj/street bike and I want to keep the drive train as small as possible, running 25:12 right now and the cog I have in the back came with the gusset kit so I dont get what the problem is....

Edit: On further inspection I think that my LBS may have put the spacers for the gusset kit on backwards/in wrong order. Anyone got a pic of it setup correctly?
    Look it up: http://www.gussetbikes.com/gusset/index_mtb.php
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

RJG
    mtbr member
    Ditch the Gusset spacers and use PVC or the spacers between cassetts or something that sits lower (1-3mm high). I doubt the cost of the Gussett conversion is based on the 2 crappy plastic spacers they give you. Make your own spacers, improvise, you'll probably get a better chain line anyway.
    R

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG
    Ditch the Gusset spacers and use PVC or the spacers between cassetts or something that sits lower (1-3mm high). I doubt the cost of the Gussett conversion is based on the 2 crappy plastic spacers they give you. Make your own spacers, improvise, you'll probably get a better chain line anyway.
    R
    The Gusset spacers are alu... but regular spacers do give you way more control over chainline...

by the way..here's the pic from gusset's site

Custom User Title
    would the skipping not be something to do with chain wrap running such a small cog?

Florida Rider
    I dont know what your problem is with 12t this is a dj bike, not a ss xc bike. I want the drivetrain small, no larger cogs. And also the chain wrapping should not be a problem, the chain is meant for 9t and higher bmx drivers.

mtbr member
    Dremel or use other spacers.

Small cogs are prone to chain skip, especially if the chain is worn (ie: stretched - it may be a good idea to measure the chain just in case, even if new). But it sounds like you have a wide chain that is sitting on the ramps of the spacer, and with a small cog, if the chain gets lifted up from the teeth a small amount (or does not sit all the way in), it is prone to skipping.

Or just try a narrower cheap chain.

zvg
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Are you.......

Are you sure your chainline is dead straight?

Florida Rider
    chain is brand new and chainline is straight

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atomrcrkhsbiker
    chain is brand new and chainline is straight
    stiff link?
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

Florida Rider
    I dont think so, pretty sure the spacers were put on wrong

Members who have read this thread: 0