Skipping Chain- Mtbr.com

Thread: Skipping Chain

mtbr member

Skipping Chain

Hello,
    I put my first SS together on Sunday and I'm having an issue I hope is a rookie mistake. Anyway when I pedaling on pavement the chain seems to skip. The chain, cog, ring, and tensionier are all new and I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
    Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skipping Chain-konassreduced.jpg  

Skipping Chain-konassside.jpg  

Skipping Chain-konasschainline.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you can take any more chain out, do it. It looks like about 5 teeth are actually engaging the chain in the back, that isn't very many. Also, if it is possible to have the tensioner push the chain up towards the cog rather than pulling it down away from it that will help, I've seen people use zip ties to the chain stay to accomplish this.

mtbr member
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the advice - I'm not sure how to flip the tensioner, so I haven't done that yet. I did pull one full link out and took for it a quick spin a few minutes ago; the chain did not slip at all.

I would not have thought one link could make such a big difference...

Anthony

Bike Dork
    Put the roller of the tensioner under the chain so it pushes up. You may need to ziptie the arm of the tensioner to the chainstay to hold it in place.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6baeD6sflN.../zip%2B001.jpg

PSYCHOLUST
    Has anyone figured out how to reverse the spring tension to have a tensioner push UP on a chain, seems like the answer lots of folks are looking for

Bike Dork
    Some companies sell reverse wound springs for their tensioners so they push in the opposite direction. Others you have to get creative, using springs from old cantilever brakes (left and right arms are wound differently) I used to take the springs out completely and use the mounting bolt to secure it in place against the dropout (ie like the rennen, and DMR tensioners). I have found that spring loaded tensioners usually don't fair too well on rocky rooty trails, they tend to bounce and untension the chain, resulting in knees and other sensitive bits hitting metal objects.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you are using the Surly Singleator tensioner, they give you a separate spring for push up mode. In most cases, push up mode is what you will want to prevent skipping..... Unlike sin3kal, I've had no problems with rocky rooty trails. Set the spring tension correctly and off you go. Using a half link also helps in both push up and push down mode to get a closer fit.

(not that fast)
    That is a cheaper, Performance style of tensioner, right? I think your only way to push it up is to ditch the spring and have it fastened in the up position with a zip tie.

Members who have read this thread: 0