Retro Grouch

Size does matter; aka beating a dead horse..

Well I've been riding my SS with 175mm crank arms for about 3 months; even did a race with them. Yesterday I re-installed the 180's and did a ride today. How 5mm could make so much difference amazes me. Granted I rode the 180's for 4 years and kind of got used to them, but today's ride was so much better I find it difficult to explain. I know I've read that all you need to do is go up a tooth on your rear cog and it's the same; well no it's not. I'm sure it has something to do with the length of your femur and tibia and the type of muscles you have (slow or fast switch) but apparently god meant me to ride with 180's.

As an aside I buggered the bottom bracket threads installing my old square taper BB; I hate that! But I have an eccentric BB and since the BB was on its way out anyway, a new BB and insert for the split housing, came to less than $50 with shipping! Now that's cool.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 08-03-2005 at 02:51 PM.

paintbucket
    I ride 175s, and always have. But people keep telling me to go big. Hmmm....

I haven't because I worry about pedal strikes. Easily adjusted for I guess though. If they made 180mm LX cranks I'd probably go for it.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I ride 175s, and always have. But people keep telling me to go big. Hmmm....

I haven't because I worry about pedal strikes. Easily adjusted for I guess though. If they made 180mm LX cranks I'd probably go for it.
    I used 180s on my old Voodoo for several years and was always grounding the pedals. Switched to 185s and I rarely hit the pedals. Don't know why, but true.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

cut like the fog.

I went back....

to 175's last season after using 180's for 2 years, and it's sooooooo much better. Can't tell you why but the bike pedals so much better with 175's on it.

to each his own,
    b.

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

180+ cranks.........

Where can one get cranks longer than 180? (other than Profiles) I have the 180 FSA CNC afterburners that are no longer made and I really like them.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

HIKE!

Long cranks....

.... sure seem to be the hot ticket for single speed riders. Stuff of legend, lore, myth? Suppose it doesn't matter, just so long as you ride what you like. I am lucky enough to tolerate anything from 165 to 180 (longest and shortest I've ever owned/ridden) so there is a bigger availability of cheap/free replacement and upgrade cranks out there for me. Don't even notice a difference, and suppose I don't want to. 175 to 180 is a 2.7% difference, so it certainly can't do any harm to go up or down that little bit.

Peace & Love
    i too run 180s and probably always will....

i know people "say" they strike more things, but I have a REAL hard time believing this is a real consideration....I mean c'mon, is the height distribution of rock/terrain height such that there are a disproportionater relative number of rocks/bumps 0.19 inches higher in your riding area so that you will hit a lot more? I find that hard to believe....having said that, I like 180s

Recovering couch patato
    175mm is fine for me, as long as the trail/road deosn't point up.
    Got a testbike to ride this summer, 175mm installed. I barely made it up climbs, and it's a gearie! when I finally found the willpower to swap the cranks, it was instant superbike.
    If you have pedal hits, your BB is too low, it's not your cranks too long. A frame should be at least ready for 180's in rough terrain. Older 29" Fishers weren't, and my 180 cranks did strike a lot. They fixed that now.
    If I could have only only cranksize, and could get it for all my bikes, it would probably be 190-195mm or so. For a SS bike, I would not be scared for 200mm.

The big difference is not the effect on gearing, but the leverage your upper body has to add to your leg power.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If you have pedal hits, your BB is too low, it's not your cranks too long. A frame should be at least ready for 180's in rough terrain. .
    This would definitely describe my Gunnar! But, the lower bb just sticks through the turns, and climbs like a wooglin....
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    This would definitely describe my Gunnar! But, the lower bb just sticks through the turns, and climbs like a wooglin....
    Bummer. I'm sorry to hear that.

mtbr member
    3% more leverage at the expence of a smooth pedal stroke....
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways
    3% more leverage at the expence of a smooth pedal stroke....
    ...or not.

Depends on the rider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    ...or not.

Depends on the rider.
    Exactly. I'd just be pedaling bigger squares.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What body type works best with the long cranks?
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    What body type works best with the long cranks?
    Brews beer, drinks beer, rides bike ... that about describes the optimal body type.

Wish I could find some squate taper 180's. I liked that 36x20 & 180 crank combo. Nice big slow circles to pedal.