Sitting while mashing vs standing and knee pain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Sitting while mashing vs standing and knee pain

Yesterday I rode a good 25 mile gravel ride and there was several hills I had to walk. Today I noticed a pain on the inside of my right knee at the joint while squatting to get something in the kitchen cupboard. It is mildly tender to the touch although I am not going to make it into something severe as it isnt. I know there was a few smaller hills yesterday I stayed in the saddle, leaned forward and gave it hell. I think this is a lot harder on the knees than actually standing. Am I correct? I am wondering if I didn't strain something on my ride particularly while sitting and mashing. I rode my bike around the block today and notice no pain at all. Only during deep squatting do I feel it. Any guys here with any experience in this area? Should I stop riding or just ride easier lighter rides for a while? And what about the different pedaling methods vs knee strain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't know medically if it is easier to stand and mash or sit and grind but I find that with my bad knees (previous dislocation and patellofemoral pain syndrome) that it is much more comfortable for me to stand and mash verses sitting and spinning on hills.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sitting and mashing is definitely harder on the knees than standing.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I kind of thought so too. Maybe I should avoid this and just stand more instead of grind it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    I kind of thought so too. Maybe I should avoid this and just stand more instead of grind it out.
    Yes. Also you may need to gear down a tooth or so if your gearing is so hard that it is causing you pain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've had no knee problems (and I had a few!) since I gave up road riding, and also switched full time to single speed mountain biking(and with platforms as opposed to clipless). Sitting and spinning just doesn't seem to be good for me--neither for my knees or my lower back/hips. Standing to climb I believe is actually way more natural.

local trails rider
    There's something very different about the forces and leverages when you stand up to pedal. With some history of knee pains, I stand up as soon as turning the cranks becomes hard. Works for me.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    There's something very different about the forces and leverages when you stand up to pedal. With some history of knee pains, I stand up as soon as turning the cranks becomes hard. Works for me.
    Same here!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think that sitting and spinning is the best way to avoid knee pain. Gear down. On steep climbs getting out of the saddle um weights the rear wheel and you spin out. I do often stand up and mash when climbing but it is not because of pain it is to use a different muscle group and big ring as far as I can before I gear down and spin

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    +1 what Perttime posted.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    I do often stand up and mash when climbing but it is not because of pain it is to use a different muscle group and big ring as far as I can before I gear down and spin
    We're in the Singlespeed forum, talking about singlespeed riding. One gear for the whole ride (unless you think of "furious spinning", "powering through", "standing up", "huffing and puffing", and "walking" as separate gears

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    Today I noticed a pain on the inside of my right knee at the joint while squatting to get something in the kitchen cupboard.

Only during deep squatting do I feel it.
    Stop this ^ = no more knee pain

As pertime said SS is inherently spin and stand and anything in-between. I assume your seat is high enough and you're not over flexing the joint?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Always stand to climb. No knee pain for me and I've had knee surgery (years ago).
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I think that sitting and spinning is the best way to avoid knee pain. Gear down. On steep climbs getting out of the saddle um weights the rear wheel and you spin out. I do often stand up and mash when climbing but it is not because of pain it is to use a different muscle group and big ring as far as I can before I gear down and spin
    Welcome to the SS forum, where "gearing down" requires too many tools to accomplish while climbing

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sitting and grinding (especially when i am out of shape) definitely causes the the knee pain for me. i find as i get more fit on the singlespeed i can stand less but if i am out of shape or out of practice i stand for practically everything. over the years i think i inherently have found my standing threshhold and my current fitness and my knees never bother me anymore.

i think you should definitely see if you can improve the ranges of both your sitting and standing climbing but not so much that it causes any pain other than sore muscles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by praharin View Post
    Welcome to the SS forum, where "gearing down" requires too many tools to accomplish while climbing
    Pay no attention to the man hiding behind all the cogs.

My bad I was cruising new posts and did not realize I was answering in the SS forum

One of the fastest rider I know is a SS guy climbs like a goat and he claims it is just a matter of cadence. I understand that but cannot do that.

Bowing out ungracefully.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Pay no attention to the man hiding behind all the cogs.

My bad I was cruising new posts and did not realize I was answering in the SS forum

One of the fastest rider I know is a SS guy climbs like a goat and he claims it is just a matter of cadence. I understand that but cannot do that.

Bowing out ungracefully.
    You have another option, ya know. Get yourself an SS and join the fun!
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

jja
    mtbr member
    Inside of the knee sounds more like a bruise or bash against the top tube. Sitting+mashing for me is more patella-oriented, until I get more fit like max-a-mill said. But maybe I'm mis-reading, and assuming good clean pedalling form. If your knee follows a lateral loop or figure-eight then sitting+mashing could also cause that pain. When I ride road I see alot of other knees circling around and it reminds me to concentrate on good form.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jja View Post
    Inside of the knee sounds more like a bruise or bash against the top tube. Sitting+mashing for me is more patella-oriented, until I get more fit like max-a-mill said. But maybe I'm mis-reading, and assuming good clean pedalling form. If your knee follows a lateral loop or figure-eight then sitting+mashing could also cause that pain. When I ride road I see alot of other knees circling around and it reminds me to concentrate on good form.
    Yea it's hard telling lol. I have a tendency to do shit that causes myself bumps bruises and other stuff and forget about it then wonder what the hell caused it later lol. And towards the last few miles I was getting so fatigued that my form may have went down the toilet lol.