Sir9 to go rigid?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Sir9 to go rigid?

Righto, first off I know this has been discussed to death, and have trawled through old threads reading everything I can but am just looking for some more specific opinions to my riding style.

Have been riding ss for about 8 months, and won't ever go back to gears (until my body breaks down) I love it.

Am currently riding a converted Norco Fireball, with a half link chain I was lucky enough to get perfect chain tension with no accessories.

Now I am building my first 29er, I have my sir9 frame (large rootbeer), parts are coming in left right and centre:

White Ind Cranks w 34 bashgaurd chainring
    White ind BB
    thompson seatpost
    brooks swift titanium saddle
    carbon pro bars and stem
    Chris King headset
    xt pedals
    Chris king ss conversion kit with 19t cog

Still to come:
    Stans arch wheelset
    XT brakes
    and the question is Reba 80mm
    or to go with niner rigid forks, steel or carbon?

I ride pretty hard, most single track but whatever is going, lots of long rides and some enduro races (maybe 1 a month) in my last race I blew a seal in my fork (26" rebas) on the first lap, so race the rest of the race with horrible floppy forks.
    The whole time I was thinking 'if I was riding rigid this wouldn't be a problem.
    Things to consider:
    I love the way ss has made me concerntrate on my riding I feel way more 'in touch' with what I am riding bike and trails, but I am also concerned I'll blow out my arms converted to rigid in 12 and 24 hour rides ( I do fairly heavy manual labour as work so have residual forearm stress from hold a chainsaw all day any way), but I also love the idea of more purity and less maaintainence.

Would love input from any one who has converted from squish to to rigid, or anything else helpful.

Thanks for any input in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sir9 to go rigid?-003.jpg  

nothing to see here
    The other factor to consider is that you'll be dropping a fair bit of weight by going rigid. Easier to climb with, and once you're used to it, descending is not that much slower. You just need to become more fluid on the bike with your movements and you won't suffer too much.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Congrats on a very well laid out SS setup. I started my SS experience with a locking squish fork which I eventually dumped for a steel rigid fork. I have adapted to rigid riding, reaping it's advantages and successfully handling it's shortcomings, one of which is vibration.
    As a physical therapist I find cause for concern in your case. You're already exposed to severe vibration stress from work. Even though rigid riding will expose your hands to a different vibration frequency than that of the tools you work with, it is advisable to find out if your hands, all the way up to the neck, are free of work related lesions.
    A clinician will help you with this, prevention will, for sure, keep you out of trouble.
    In the meantime, once rigid, good gloves, grips and handlebars, plus wide and cushy tires will help in the transition.
    Be well !
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    might want to think of dumping the half link chain, they stretch a lot and quickly, better to get a standard chain (8 or 9 speed) and use 1 half link, if you can't get the gearing to work out. but until the chain stretches beyond use, no big deal.

I'm jealous of the build, gonna be a great bike no matter what you put on the front.

Apr 2007
    I ride both rigid and suspension. What I use depends on the trail and distance.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I dunno, I've always thought that bikes with a Brooks saddle and squishy fork look strange .....
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

Combat Wombat
    One of the reasons I like rigid is for the reason you stated. Many years ago, I returned a Fox TALAS to have serviced and during that time borrowed a rigid fork to use. Never looked back, but then I do not race. For racing and especially endurance events, if I can only have one or the other, I might be inclined to consider a good suspension fork. Riding rigid on familiar courses or even racing on a rough course for a couple hours is one thing, but I can think of several of the courses in our state series that would be brutal for 12 or 24 hours. You had a suspension fork fail, but as long as it is serviced and maintained, how often does that actually happen these days?

mtbr member
    There is a learning curve to going rigid, the 29er is going to be a big benefit. Being a spectacular bike handler will help a lot as picking your lines and putting your wheels in the right place at the right time becomes much more important.
    I find that mentally you need to be more engaged which I really like. I found myself riding by rote before the switch.
    You did not tell us how old you are but don't be afraid to hit the gym. You will be able to ride longer if your shoulders, elbows and back can take the grind. I am old and it helps a ton.
    Last edited by can't get right; 12-17-2011 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all the good info so far, I appreciate your health advice balance fit,
    I won't be building the sir9 with half link, it has served its purpose here pretty well.
    BrianU that true that it is not often we see a suspension fork fail these days, but
    I guess I was also thinking with out one there definately can be no fail, and no
    maintainence cost.
    Can't get it right, am 31 one, not afraid to go to the gym just don't feel the urge to,
    I like to get my strength and fitness outside in the fresh air, riding, climbing, paddling.
    Never been super keen to exercise in a room.
    All opinions are appreciated, thanks
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

mtbr member
    I recently put one of the old steel Niner forks on my Jabberwocky, mostly because I was procrastinating an oil change on my F29. Having previously ridden a cheap carbon fork on my previous SIR I was really impressed with the ride qualities of steel. That Niner fork is a good one and takes the sting out of most trail surfaces.
    For rides under 2 hours I might lean towards the rigid steel. Anything over 2 hours or featuring a lot of fast rocky jeep road-type descents I'd probably go back to the squish. For context I ride a notoriously rocky section of the AZTrail down south (Canelo Hills) but am early in the rigid learning curve.
    Having broken a wrist 3 times I was concerned about support, as well as protection, I'm really tempted to pick up a pair of gloves (EVS Wrister) that feature support and some bracing.
    Hope something in there helps,
    Cheers
    M

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm considering this move with my Sir9 also. Going from a Reba Race with a 2.25 Nobby Nic to the Niner steel fork and possibly a Ardent 2.4. Not sure on what tire yet.

If you do it, let us know what your impression are.

Sharp bike, btw.

EXORCIZE
    Squish with remote lockout. Possibly at 100mm. I think rigid makes a better second bike.

For fat tires on a rigid, Flows can sometimes be a better choice.