singular swift or monocog flight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

singular swift or monocog flight

which one would you guys choose for an all around bike that would be used for local trails and commuting and perhaps a race or two. im really torn between these two. they both look like great bikes

Birthday Collector
    The singular is probably going to cost you at least twice as much - if that is an issue. (New frame on their site is 420GBP - about $680 USD) You can get a complete MC Flight for in the $800 neighborhood. Might need to change some gearing if it is hilly in your area - may be a $10 - $50 solution depending on what you choose (Steel vs nicer Alu cog). I'd strongly suggest looking at the Raleigh XXIX, Kona Unit or Haro Mary in the same basic price range as the MC Flight. If you are going to build a frame up from scratch and money isn't as much of an issue, then I'd lean towards the Singular, but I would also check around to see if there are any local builders that can do you up a DB Cro-mo frame for about the same pricing. Good luck. FWIW I love my "cheapo" XXIX and it's all I ride anymore in the dirt.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Life is Go0d!
    Flight.. One of best values to be found. Swap the stock cog for a Surly.. around 25 beans, and ride the wheels off it. Lifetime warranty and decent part spec.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Assuming you are in the US, those prices are incorrect. US pricing is here. $590 for the frame and Marty is doing some good deals on builds.

Best,

Sam
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    can the swift do some light toruing. i am thinking of doing a 3 or 4 day tour to raise money for a veterans memorial in wisconsin. i like the swift but not sure if it would work out for that purpose. I was looking at the swift or karate monkey. I use my bike mostly for trails and commuting but would like the ability to ride it in the fund raiser.

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    Swift.............

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Both great frames and I considered them both.

For me, it came down to a SS religious argument between EBB and sliders.

The sliders won.

You probably can't go wrong either way. There might be a detail that tips it in one direction for you, much like chain tensioning was for me.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Choose which everyone's geometry works better for you.
    The Swift's have longer top tubes, yet similar (+/- a mm or two) wheelbase to the Flights.
    Neither has eyelets, so they are both about the same as far as touring.
    The fork on the Swift is the best riding rigid fork I have ridden. Length, offset, and frame head angle are very well thought out (on the Swift).
    Yes, I'm biased.

mtbr member
    Swift. Also good for touring - I'd use a spare set of wheels and just swap them in for road use.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Swift. Also good for touring - I'd use a spare set of wheels and just swap them in for road use.

thats what i was thinking. I was going to have it built up as ss rigid but ii would also get some road wheels built up for geared riding

mtbr member
    Go with the Swift! I am seriously looking at building one up next summer!

Members who have read this thread: 0