Singlespeeds are for sissies- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Singlespeeds are for sissies

You heard.

Anybody got some good recommedations on an affordable but good tubeless wheelset? My full-rigid SS ride's steel and all, but it'd be nice to run some 2.3s with 25-30 psi for just a little more give over the bumps.

mad aussie
    mavic crossland is relatively cheap (about $250 if my memory serves me correctly) and is tubeless compatible with included rim strip. Honestly though now I have switched to the bigger tires I dont really need tubeless as I can run low pressures and not pinch flat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rrrrrrreally now? Bigger tires = no need for tubeless due to less pinch flatage, eh?

What about the whole tire roll/folding thing in corners. I currently run somewhere around 1.95 on the rears of both my SS and geared bike and if I'm anywhere under 40 psi on those I can feel the tire mush a bit in some hard, fast corners. Rather unnerving. Feels like the tire's ready to pull the bead right out of the rim!

I like endos

if you run like

Quote Originally Posted by trevize1138
    Rrrrrrreally now? Bigger tires = no need for tubeless due to less pinch flatage, eh?

What about the whole tire roll/folding thing in corners. I currently run somewhere around 1.95 on the rears of both my SS and geared bike and if I'm anywhere under 40 psi on those I can feel the tire mush a bit in some hard, fast corners. Rather unnerving. Feels like the tire's ready to pull the bead right out of the rim!
    a 2.3 on the back that's made for fr or dh the sidewalls are so much stronger you could probably be running a bit over half your current psi. No to mention you can run one in front too for a very comfy ride and good cornering. I like the WTB Weirwolf 2.3 personally, but any larger, tougher tire would probably help you. Or you can convert your current wheelset to tubeless with stans.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Probably drunk right now

Yes, really...

Get a set of 2.3's or 2.4's and you can run lower pressure without rolling your tire or pinch flatting due to the larger volume.

For reference: I weigh in around 200 pounds. I run 2.4's on both my bikes (one tubeless, one tubed) and run the same pressure (30-35 psi) on both. I experience identical performance and haven't pinch flatted on either set up.

Ken

mtbr member
    Yeah, what they said! I run a tubed Weirwolf Race 2.5 at like 30 PSI with no problems. I weigh 190 and my trails are very rocky/rooty. Also, I know some peaple have problems with air burping out of theit tubless setups when running the pressure too low. As you can see, I don't think UST tubeless is worth it right now. Heavier and more expensive rims and tires are the main problems for me. But I keep thinking about trying Stans!

Mark

mad aussie

If you ran something other than paper thin 1.9,s with folding beads then you would be able to run less pressure. Put some decent 2.3's with wire beads on there, run 30 and let her rip.
    This is mountain biking not road.
    Last edited by Flying Wombat; 07-27-2005 at 12:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I run stan's strips with tubeless tires and it works great. though I'm going tubless rims when I build my new bike, unless normal rims and stan's weighs less somehow? after riding tubeless for 2 years, I can't imagine running tubes again. Way to rocky in these parts to run the kind of tire pressure you're talking about with tubes.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    No - Oil is for sissies...

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/thil0020/carfreelife/

LP

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    well this has inspired me to do some internet research and in doing so I realize I may just be lucky. I run stan's strips on regular rims, with tubless tires. no goo. I have never gone flat or had any issues at all. I wonder if I just got lucky with the rim/tire combination, or if this will actually work in most applications.
    Last edited by gsteinb; 07-26-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Probably drunk right now

Pffft...

Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb
    I run stan's strips with tubeless tires and it works great. though I'm going tubless rims when I build my new bike, unless normal rims and stan's weighs less somehow? after riding tubeless for 2 years, I can't imagine running tubes again. Way to rocky in these parts to run the kind of tire pressure you're talking about with tubes.
    I've ridden in NJ several times. The conditions you ride in are no more rocky than what I ride. Tubeless doesn't prevent or even reduce pinch flats nearly as effectively as people think. A larger volume tire will do that.

As I mentioned before, I'm running both systems. As soon as my tubeless tires wear out, I'll replace them with tubed and save the money I would have spent on tires on beer.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I've ridden in NJ several times. The conditions you ride in are no more rocky than what I ride. Tubeless doesn't prevent or even reduce pinch flats nearly as effectively as people think. A larger volume tire will do that.

As I mentioned before, I'm running both systems. As soon as my tubeless tires wear out, I'll replace them with tubed and save the money I would have spent on tires on beer.

Ken

I totally disagree with you. I've ridden here more than several times, in fact I've raced these trails for the better part of 15 years. It's better with tubeless, and I don't drink.

HIYAH
    you don't drink? Theres the problem...check your tires!~

Probably drunk right now

Ok....

Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb
    I totally disagree with you. I've ridden here more than several times, in fact I've raced these trails for the better part of 15 years. It's better with tubeless, and I don't drink.
    I've no intention of e-arguing with you. I provided the fact that I've ridden in NJ to provide perspective on my opinion.

Ride what you like, like what you ride.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Bigger tires = no need for tubeless due to less pinch flatage, eh?

How wide a rim are you running? A wider rim should help prevent the tire roll.

I mean come on...
    haven't you run this through one of your fancy 'computer simulations' yet???

FSSS