Singlespeeding and Setbacks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Singlespeeding and Setbacks

Hello,

I have recently put together my first singlespeed using a Titus Eleven. I opted for a small frame based on my medium Racer X100 and the Eleven Geometry. It seems I would have been better off with the Medium Eleven but hindsight being 20/20 doesn't make my frame any bigger.

I'm running 120 mm stem but the head tube to saddle tip distance is 1.25" shorter on the Eleven than my Racer X. I neglected this measurement when calculating using a small for a singlespeed. The Eleven in it's current state is super super twitchy and I feel pushed forward. It was suggested I try a Thomson Setback seatpost. This should add most of the 1" I am missing in the small frame. Is there any concern I should have with using a setback seatpost? It was even suggested that moving my weight back on the bike with a setback would help calm the steering.

Trey

In FTF We Trust
    It all depends on how you ride the bike. If you get a setback seatpost it'll change the relation of your body with the bottom bracket and may or may not give you some knee aggravation. I actually don't mind having my SS a little shorter than my XC bikes because any serious climbing I'll be doing will be out of the saddle and the seated position will be a little more comfortable. I'd suggest getting a super-cheap setback seatpost (like a Kalloy with a setback head-about 3/4" or so) and trying it before dropping the coin on another Thompson.

Oh yeah, sexy-ass bike too. I love my Super-Moto, Titus builds good stuff.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    my biggest fear would be having the CoG too far back on the bike which would result in a loss of front end grip. you seem to have 2 options: layback post or longer stem. you're not gonna know which is better unless you try them both so i like the idea of buying something cheap before you drop the money on some bling part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I sort of agree lance and leaned to the setback post based on the racer X setup. It is a 23.3" TT with a 105mm stem. The Eleven is a 22.75" TT with a 120mm stem. These should balance effectively with the Eleven being marginally shorter (Not the missing 1.25" I seem to be struggling with). With the Seat Tube to Handlebar distance being almost equal it seems most of my missing space is behind the seat tube. I do agree about CoG but at this point climbing is hardly an issue and the bike is super twitchy (Almost like riding a road bike with knobbies).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Handlebar looks very low rise...

maybe another .5" rise? I have a similar situation on a fully I recently bought (excuse the sacrilege). Felt a little short in the TT, and I always felt weight forward (caused as much bu the wrong size A - to -C fork size than the frame size. I added an thompson setback which helped a lot, and increased the rise of my handlebars by 1/2 inch... it made a huge difference. Mwhen my seat is up I still get an aggressive riding feeling, but when I drop it for the descent it feels soo much better.

try this one out, got great reviews and I have never seen it this cheap. (only ~180g):
    https://www.blueskycycling.com/searc...earch_key=cf-1

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Nice ride by the way!

gotta love the way the red bits set it off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    gotta love the way the red bits set it off.
    You should see it now (I'll try and take a pic). Red Hope Mini Bore caps, red hope seat collar. It's sweet.

Want to vent?
    No probs with mine.....and im riding a 16.5 litespeed that i converted ...it has a 120mm stem and a thomson setback post...rides nice...no problems in 2 yrs (BTW my geared race bike is a medium santa cruz or should i say my "bike size" is in the medium range like yours)...

Last edited by The SS Boz; 06-11-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

banned
    Apr 2004

Is that a magic gear or ENO?

Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz
    No probs with mine.....and im riding a 16.5 litespeed that i converted ...it has a 120mm stem and a thomson setback post...rides nice...no problems in 2 yrs (BTW my geared race bike is a medium santa cruz or should i say my "bike size" is in the medium range like yours)...

I've got an older 16.5" Pisgah that I'm itching to relieve of 23 gears but can't bear to bolt on a derailuer replacement contraption.

I'll spend the 300 US dollars on a proper ENO rear wheel set up, if I'm sure it's going to give me the necessary chain length adjustment for that clean single gear set up like yours.

Want to vent?
    Its magic......I got that chris angel mind freak guy off of TV to make it work for me...

...yep i built up an ENO rear wheel...love that thing...have a dos ENO 16/18 cog...rides nice (if ya do it...buy the freakin ENO cog tool...nobody warned me of that before hand)

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    since you're standing a lot on an SS, a setback seatpost only works when your sitting.

That said, I use setback seatposts on most of my bikes (due to my long torso) without problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

check your PM's

BIKENAZI,

check your PM's

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I've got an older 16.5" Pisgah that I'm itching to relieve of 23 gears but can't bear to bolt on a derailuer replacement contraption.

I'll spend the 300 US dollars on a proper ENO rear wheel set up, if I'm sure it's going to give me the necessary chain length adjustment for that clean single gear set up like yours.

Recovering couch patato
    NO setback for me with SS'ing. In yesterday's XC race, I put my seat almost an inch forward from the geared position. This, to spin the flats easier (it's true, try it), as I do most of the real climbing standing up anyway. It worked out well, I was second.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Did you get a chance to throw a tape measure over the frames? Something is not right somewhere. If a frame has a 1/2" longer top tube then the saddle to bars should be very close to 1/2" different as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I measured the TT and it did look like it might be 1/4" short from HT to ST. I will double check again. I sppose ST angle could affect the measurement a bit as well but I'm not sure what caused the 1.25" measurement instead of a .5" measuremet.

Members who have read this thread: 0