singlespeeding on the road.....- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AkDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    540

    New question here. singlespeeding on the road.....

    I want to give ss a try on the road. I have HT which is disc specific so I have a 700 wheelset for it also. I'm wondering if I need a diff rear cog for each set up? I will run a 32t up front so what rear would you guys suggest starting with?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

  2. #2
    bike geek
    Reputation: tamjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    I want to give ss a try on the road. I have HT which is disc specific so I have a 700 wheelset for it also. I'm wondering if I need a diff rear cog for each set up? I will run a 32t up front so what rear would you guys suggest starting with?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    My road SS commuter is set up 40:17, which is a pretty easy gear, but it's what I had lying around. My commute is mostly flat, save for 2 short uphills, generally with a strong headwind, so the gear works out ok most days. To get the same gear w/a 32t ring, you'd have to size down your rear cog to a 13 or 14. If you have a larger spare front ring, and aren't using compact cranks, you might be better off changing that instead of your rear cog.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    I want to give ss a try on the road. I have HT which is disc specific so I have a 700 wheelset for it also. I'm wondering if I need a diff rear cog for each set up? I will run a 32t up front so what rear would you guys suggest starting with?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    go bigger up front for road and consider that 700c will change your expected gear inches/gain ratio/etc; perhaps a 38 or 40t front (should clear stays on middle ring position)and 14-16t or 16-18t, respectively, in back. riding w/freewheel on the road gets pretty boring after you get used to your gear; i might consider fixed as it keeps you engaged the entire ride.

    .02, marc

  4. #4
    Let me ask my wife
    Reputation: HoSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    357
    I run 44/16, 72 gear inch, which is perfect for my hilly commute. The hills around here are mostly short and steep with a few longer climbs.

    You may want to consider fixed also. I found with a SS I did a lot of coasting. Didn't like that at all. Good luck and enjoy.
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F. Kennedy

  5. #5
    I'm sticky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    143
    I'd ditch the 32T chainring - get something bigger.

    For 700c wheels (depending on your tire size) you'd probably want to run 32:12 or 32:13.
    Those are some pretty small cogs. Surly makes a 13T... not sure if anyone makes a 12.

    Shoot for about 70 gear inches.

    This may be helpful:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/index.html

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AkDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    540

    Thanks for the info.......

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrap
    I'd ditch the 32T chainring - get something bigger.

    For 700c wheels (depending on your tire size) you'd probably want to run 32:12 or 32:13.
    Those are some pretty small cogs. Surly makes a 13T... not sure if anyone makes a 12.

    Shoot for about 70 gear inches.

    This may be helpful:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/index.html
    I appreciate everyones imput. I will check out Sheldons info and go from there.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

  7. #7
    Bigger than Big
    Reputation: Schecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    100
    Here's my roadie:

    Gitane Tour de France
    I went 42 x 16 for my almost flat area.
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cygnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    481

    watch the chainstay with big chainrings...

    I went that route, first with a 44 tooth chainring. only 1mm of clearance on the chainstay. too close for comfort, especially with a bit of frame flex. this is with chainring mounted inboard for chainline with an SS freewheel. now ride a 42x16 on the road. flattish, with some hills and wind. nice all around cruising gear.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AkDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    540

    I'll be running a cass wheel w/spacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    I went that route, first with a 44 tooth chainring. only 1mm of clearance on the chainstay. too close for comfort, especially with a bit of frame flex. this is with chainring mounted inboard for chainline with an SS freewheel. now ride a 42x16 on the road. flattish, with some hills and wind. nice all around cruising gear.
    I will be using my current rear wheels which are cass hubs so maybe I will have more room to adj chainline than you. My HCR's drive side chainstay is shaped differently and does provide extra room to keep from having chain/frame contact. Maybe it will work. I will just have to exp.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

  10. #10
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    one day i hope to have a dedicated ss road bike. until then i run a 2:1 mountain bike on the road...if i am spinning too much i simply deflate the tyres or add a loaded back pack...sure 20kmp is slow but i am still hurting when i get home.

    the low km training programme is great for sand-bagging, well once i start beating people that's what they'll call it.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24
    I use 53-18 on this:


    It's quite hard but it's very fast on flat land
    my blog: BICIFISSA

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Go Kart Motzart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,238
    I just put together my first fixie and have enjoyed it (two whole rides). I run a 46/18, but wouldn't mind going a bit larger.


  13. #13
    I'm sticky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    143
    Go Kart Mozart -

    She's a BEAUTY!!!

    The essence of simplicity.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,156

    Singlespeed MTB on the road

    I've got a 34/19 26 inch wheel, 34/12 700c set-up as of tonight. It should work with my eccentric BB, but I'll post an update.

  15. #15
    Just Give'r!
    Reputation: cmatcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    212
    go kart-
    sick bike man, simplistic and STELLAR. but comin from a roadie....lose the poggio or w/e saddle that is and hook it up with a nice slick-lookin road saddle. (did somebody just say SLR???) or at LEAST a flite.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Go Kart Motzart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    go kart-
    sick bike man, simplistic and STELLAR. but comin from a roadie....lose the poggio or w/e saddle that is and hook it up with a nice slick-lookin road saddle. (did somebody just say SLR???) or at LEAST a flite.
    Thanks for the comments guys.

    Your reading my mind on the saddle. It's quite horrible to sit on and look at. Most of my bikes have Flites and I'll stick one on this soon.

    Also, the seatpost needs to go. I like Thompson stuff, but a Nitto (or similar) would be more fitting on this bike.
    Last edited by Go Kart Motzart; 01-06-2006 at 07:29 AM.

  17. #17
    French for "Suck"
    Reputation: Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Also, the seatpost needs to go. I like Thompson stuff, but a Nitto (or similar) would be more fitting on this bike.
    If you can find one, the miche supertype seatposts are gorgeous...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    426
    45x16...what a terrible pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VegasSingleSpeed; 01-06-2006 at 10:49 AM.

  19. #19
    Just Give'r!
    Reputation: cmatcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    212
    Vegas, that trek is SWEET!!! my favorite SS ive seen in a while. verry cool.

  20. #20
    j77
    j77 is offline
    ...
    Reputation: j77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    105
    46:16 SS/fixed flip-flop rear
    My ex-MTB turned commuter / bar hopper fun machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    Vegas, that trek is SWEET!!! my favorite SS ive seen in a while. verry cool.
    Thanks. It's what trackies do when there is no track

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sylvain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    126
    54 * 17 with 26" wheels and 1" slicks here (yes there is a tire on that Crossmax rim), works great for my fast flat-ish commute (but I've been up some decently steep hills too, albeit very slowly).

    In this size ring and King Kog should last forever





  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mainlyfats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,156

    Road set up

    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats
    I've got a 34/19 26 inch wheel, 34/12 700c set-up as of tonight. It should work with my eccentric BB, but I'll post an update.
    Here it is. Chris King hubs with a 12 tooth cog, on Open Pros with Conti 3000 700x23 tires. The chainring is 34.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    15

    I ride this

    on the road, running 50;17, pretty much all year round, she cruises about 18/20mph.
    Last edited by 31trum; 01-16-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: photo

  25. #25
    used to be uno-speedo....
    Reputation: dirtdrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,274
    42x16 and love'in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.